Composting Lavatoirs

Bones

Featured Posts

In theory you are correct, in practice (I have one) you run the "stirrer" and "fan" once a week or so.

However using it this way can lead to the odd smell if you are really close to the chimney. I have emptied mine about once a year (2 people using)

Whooo...

Somone who actually has one of these!!

- Would be interested to know a bit more, and some photos maybe.

- And, if i may ask, why did choose to fit one, and how do you find it?

Daniel

[/color]

A solid GOLD chain encrusted with sharp cut diamonds pulled very hard would be handy for the collectors :)

marvellous... not sure diamonds are the best cutters for such material.... at least they are easy to clean. I think I perfer silver to gold though - it might tarnish more but overall it suits my eye sockets - one must always think of glamour when rotting!

Whooo...

Somone who actually has one of these!!

- Would be interested to know a bit more, and some photos maybe.

- And, if i may ask, why did choose to fit one, and how do you find it?

Daniel

exactly! I am chomping at the bit... you know, this would be an open day I might actually turn up to...

Ok, we are a pair of hippies, but for me the appeal of the composting loo was mostly not having to empty the blimmin' thing constantly, or faff with chemicals.

damn lazy hippies eh

faff ing with chemicals is what makes a hippie a good hippie. :)

damn lazy hippies eh

faff ing with chemicals is what makes a hippie a good hippie. :)

I had forgotten the chemical thing. After a crew member got scared of spider and poured 'blue' on it i realised that chemicals are a complete pain.... it took AGES to clear up... but then I have mentioned my crew before....!!!!

OK for everyone who is interested try;

www.biolet.com/

This is an American site, but my understanding was always that they are made in either Sweden or Switzerland.

They were originally for areas well away from mains sewers and therefore popular in these countries.

Again they were originally designed for mains voltages and due to the nature of their design are quite power hungry at 12v voltages.

Mine is designed for 240v ac.

Fitting is a breeze, connect to power supply and poke chimney through roof. I used a "fire" collar and long chimney (the chimney supplied with loo fits inside a fire chimney)

When "living aboard" (2) we need to "switch" it on about twice a week.

At the time I got mine they were retailing at around a grand. I beleive if you travel abroad most builders merchants stock them for around a third to half this amount (pays for the holiday...)

I was lucky and got mine second hand but brand new (if that makes sense)

more than happy and would never have pump out!!!!!! :)

OK for everyone who is interested try;

www.biolet.com/

This is an American site, but my understanding was always that they are made in either Sweden or Switzerland.

They were originally for areas well away from mains sewers and therefore popular in these countries.

Again they were originally designed for mains voltages and due to the nature of their design are quite power hungry at 12v voltages.

Mine is designed for 240v ac.

Fitting is a breeze, connect to power supply and poke chimney through roof. I used a "fire" collar and long chimney (the chimney supplied with loo fits inside a fire chimney)

When "living aboard" (2) we need to "switch" it on about twice a week.

At the time I got mine they were retailing at around a grand. I beleive if you travel abroad most builders merchants stock them for around a third to half this amount (pays for the holiday...)

I was lucky and got mine second hand but brand new (if that makes sense)

more than happy and would never have pump out!!!!!! :)

excellent link. Thanks for that!

• 7 months later...

Do you use the peat stuff? That is what is putting me off the Biolet. But they look much nicer than the chunky Envirolet ones.

Or do you use sawdust?

And, erm, when you stand up and put the sawdust/peat in, do you, erm, see that last six months worth of roughage?

Gory details please! Pictures definitely not welcome! :angry:

NO........... Peat just falls through, so it is useless.

There is a "pukka" mix available for purchase - no idea of cost or where to get it though

In appearance, it is a cross between bark chippings and peat (best description I can think of)

I am (very) recently led to believe, that there is a "recipe" for making up your own medium. I am hoping to aquire this soon, I will ask the senders permission to post once I have it....

I bought my loo with a large quantity of medium and am only now starting to worry what I will do next time I empty it....

Errrrm.....

If you look inside very carefully then yes you can work out what is in it (very carefully put heh!) - But it does have a spring operated flap that opens and closes according to whether you are sat upon it or not. So unless you open the flap whilst stood over it you cannot normally see inside. - potential problem solved (very clever these Swiss)

Anyway it is just as possible to look in the bucket isnt it?

:angry::angry::D

Sawdust is excellent. It covers everything and smells sweetly woody. Up at the Climate Camp, 800 people pooping for 10 days and NO bad smells (apart from unwashed feet, but that's another matter!)

My own design is low-tech and will cost very little (about 50 quid). I'm dismantling the pump-out toilet at the moment as I want that space. The tank that protrudes into the toilet room is the current problem and I will need to get an expert in to remove that section., which will push the price up - doh!

If it works well, I'll post my own gory details. :angry:

Are these toilets for no.1's and no.2's? A lot of the info on the web regarding constructing your own composting toilet gives the impression that keeping the ' liquid' discharges separate is the key to a home built toilets success!?

Gary

Hi Gary

Yes the commercial ones do take 'liquid' and have a way of evaporating it, heaters and fans.

Take a look at post four (4) of this topic for a link to Envirolet, makers of said.

Most of the home-built designs rely on part-composting in the toilet, and completing the process elsewhere - not really practical on a boat.

I've recently installed the same type of toilet as Lymranger. I'm giving it a qualified thumbs up. It is absolutely essential to use the correct mulch - otherwise it just doesn't work. We have a lot of people using it; 3 full-time, and up to 6 on weekends. This is really pushing the capacity of the toilet to cope with the volume of liquid.

With this level of use, the toilet requires careful attention to keep it not too dry and not too wet - there is a thermostat to adjust according to use.

As far as emptying it goes, it is a much less stinky job than emptying a portapotti, with or without blue. We overloaded out toilet with 7 people recently, and didn't have the heat up high enough. This resulted in an unhealthy anaerobic state, and it got smelly (but only outside). I emptied it, and was impressed that there wasn't an identifiable trace of faeces. The output just looked like wet sawdust from an overused stable.

well finally something that can be grabbed and thrown at stone throwers eh?

Gaggle surely there must be a happy medium rather than killing ourselves.

Not having to empy the thetford would be a Godsend.

When we get the sailaway IM definately going to try and price one of these compost loos into the budget.

Most of the home-built designs rely on part-composting in the toilet, and completing the process elsewhere - not really practical on a boat.

I've recently installed the same type of toilet as Lymranger. I'm giving it a qualified thumbs up. It is absolutely essential to use the correct mulch - otherwise it just doesn't work. We have a lot of people using it; 3 full-time, and up to 6 on weekends. This is really pushing the capacity of the toilet to cope with the volume of liquid.

With this level of use, the toilet requires careful attention to keep it not too dry and not too wet - there is a thermostat to adjust according to use.

As far as emptying it goes, it is a much less stinky job than emptying a portapotti, with or without blue. We overloaded out toilet with 7 people recently, and didn't have the heat up high enough. This resulted in an unhealthy anaerobic state, and it got smelly (but only outside). I emptied it, and was impressed that there wasn't an identifiable trace of faeces. The output just looked like wet sawdust from an overused stable.

I very much wanted to have one of these, but the boat I am buying definitely can't handle an envirolet -- the bathroom isn't big enough, even if I expand it into a cupboard. The biolet seems to be smaller but I am muddled about the power. The 12v version definitely won't work because you have to have a separate drain to deal with the liquid and it only part composts. The full electric versions only refer to American voltage (120) not British (240). Can you make it work? (I'm not too good on electricity...) And if they take a lot of power 1. are they practical on boats? and 2. is the environmental advantage of composting not outweighed by the environmental disadvantage of so much electricity?

Also the composting mixture referred to by the biolet definitely contains peat, which isn't environmentally friendly. Is there a substitute, and can you get it in the UK? (wouldn't be much good paying the postage for bags of compost across the Atlantic...)

And, if they break down, can you get them repaired?

Finally, who supplies them here? (I know Canal Man supplies envirolet, but, as I said, it is too big!)

ps there will be only just me on the boat a lot of the time, but I am sociable ...

Thans for any help.

Edited by Duchess Omnium

I found this stuff http://www.biomagicuk.com/2.html at the boat show at Beale, the lady i spoke to claimed that it could be used instead of the nasty blue stuff in thetford and portapottis and the result is biodegradeable. I have been looking at composting toilets but this stuff seems like a very cheap alternative you just add it to your toilet.

I would not be installing a composting toilet for its enviromental affect anyway.

- If your worryed about the affect of the formalerhyde 'blue' that is used in most systems, there are several more eco frendly versions, and tinker has just mentioned.

As for weather the ecological improvment of the compost loo is negated by the extra electircal use, i should say it proberbly isnt, depending amongst other things where the electricty came from!

- Also some people use large amounts of peat in there compost loos, which is almost certainly worse than anything else (incuding releasing a small amount of blue into the sewere system)

- But as i said, i personaly think that this debate is all a little accademic, as envomental impact would not be the reason i would be fitting a composting toilet anyway. (and im a fairly eco kind of guy)

Daniel

I very much wanted to have one of these, but the boat I am buying definitely can't handle an envirolet -- the bathroom isn't big enough, even if I expand it into a cupboard. The biolet seems to be smaller but I am muddled about the power. The 12v version definitely won't work because you have to have a separate drain to deal with the liquid and it only part composts. The full electric versions only refer to American voltage (120) not British (240). Can you make it work? (I'm not too good on electricity...) And if they take a lot of power 1. are they practical on boats? and 2. is the environmental advantage of composting not outweighed by the environmental disadvantage of so much electricity?

Also the composting mixture referred to by the biolet definitely contains peat, which isn't environmentally friendly. Is there a substitute, and can you get it in the UK? (wouldn't be much good paying the postage for bags of compost across the Atlantic...)

And, if they break down, can you get them repaired?

Finally, who supplies them here? (I know Canal Man supplies envirolet, but, as I said, it is too big!)

ps there will be only just me on the boat a lot of the time, but I am sociable ...

Thans for any help.

Had mine nearly 10 years no break downs as yet. The instruction manual suggests that the workings replace as a casset type unit(?)

Mine is 240v AC (as manufactured) But if you aquire a 110 version then use a yellow (tool hire) transformer to step down 240 v

I think the american web link I provided is confusing, mine is Swedish ( they use them alot there) I think the USA arm is some type of franchise. My instruction manual does not mention any shortcomings for the 12v model other than a high current draw (= flat batteries)

At the risk of offending you, (not my intention) The only enviromentally friendly loo is one used by someone on a starvation dietr! - Mine is emtied no more than twice a year and then onto a compost heap at home. I cannot think of a more enviromentally friendly alternative, can you?

:angry:

Edited by lymmranger

Had mine nearly 10 years no break downs as yet. The instruction manual suggests that the workings replace as a casset type unit(?)

Mine is 240v AC (as manufactured) But if you aquire a 110 version then use a yellow (tool hire) transformer to step down 240 v

I think the american web link I provided is confusing, mine is Swedish ( they use them alot there) I think the USA arm is some type of franchise. My instruction manual does not mention any shortcomings for the 12v model other than a high current draw (= flat batteries)

At the risk of offending you, (not my intention) The only enviromentally friendly loo is one used by someone on a starvation dietr! - Mine is emtied no more than twice a year and then onto a compost heap at home. I cannot think of a more enviromentally friendly alternative, can you?

:angry:

No! I don't want American voltage (110/120) I want British 240 -- but I could only find references either to the 120 version or the 12v version. The 12v one says in the detail that it requires an auxiliary (or French) drain to leach off excess liquid, so that clearly won't do.

Another worry: the biolet says it requires a constant temperature of 64 degrees F whenever it is in use. Do you find that you can do that?

As for environmentally friendly, obviously a composting toilet, other things being equal, is more environmentally friendly than a chemical one! But one that didn't use peat would be a lot friendlier than one that did -- and the biolet says it uses peat. I just wanted to know if there is something else you can use instead. And if you use a lot of energy keeping it warm and running a fan you are presumably undoing much of the good... Obviously it is a tradeoff...

Not a bit offended. I am just trying to find out as much info as I can so I can make sensible choices. Obviously the thought of emptying only a couple of times a year is very appealing, whatever the environmental issues.

No! I don't want American voltage (110/120) I want British 240 -- but I could only find references either to the 120 version or the 12v version. The 12v one says in the detail that it requires an auxiliary (or French) drain to leach off excess liquid, so that clearly won't do.

Another worry: the biolet says it requires a constant temperature of 64 degrees F whenever it is in use. Do you find that you can do that?

As for environmentally friendly, obviously a composting toilet, other things being equal, is more environmentally friendly than a chemical one! But one that didn't use peat would be a lot friendlier than one that did -- and the biolet says it uses peat. I just wanted to know if there is something else you can use instead. And if you use a lot of energy keeping it warm and running a fan you are presumably undoing much of the good... Obviously it is a tradeoff...

Not a bit offended. I am just trying to find out as much info as I can so I can make sensible choices. Obviously the thought of emptying only a couple of times a year is very appealing, whatever the environmental issues.

The required temperature happens to be a comfortable room temperature so I only switch it on when it is being used (to stir "it") and every other day or so I leave it on for an hour or so.

If we are entertaining then we leave it on.

I can only comment personally and confirm that it works perfectly for us :angry:

Would some kind soul put this numptie right? :angry:

What is wrong with dumping yer stuff into a sewer?

I have worked on a number of sewerage treatment plants, putting in digester tanks and suchlike, and for the life of me I don’t recall ever seeing anything untoward or un-ecological. Tis just sedimenters, digesters and filters.

Business flows in one end and water flows out the other??

Wass the problem? :)