Licencing

otts

Featured Posts

Ok lets see where this thread ends up?

If you drive a car you have to have a driving License, if you ride a bike you have a bike license, so yes you guest it!

The question is

Owning aboat and cruising the canal/rivers do you need some kind of License?

If so how?

Otts :lol:

If you drive a car you have to have a driving License, if you ride a bike you have a bike license, so yes you guest it!

The question is

If so how?

Never heard of a bike licence.

Sue

I lnow thought i'd see if got different answers?

You appear to be posting topics where you probably already know the answer. I presume they are wind-up?

Ok its on ya car license but you still have to have it on there to ride a bike

I suspect you might be talking about the USA where they spell licence as license?

You appear to be posting topics where you probably already know the answer. I presume they are wind-up?

I suspect you might be talking about the USA where they spell licence as license?

if you knew nothing about the canals would you know if you needed a licence to steer a boat, like you have to drive a car??????

do u need a licence to post crap on message boards?

If so how ? :lol:

Maybe! but just asking, maybe it was a silly question but I was reading a book today about selling up and cruising and it said something in there about a certificate!

We obviously have an attitude problem?

Edited by otts

The question is

If so how?

No it's all free great isn't it..

The canal fairies come out and maintain the system, remove the rubbish and fix the damaged lock gates and paddles all on a whim....

all at no cost to those of us that use the system...

a stroppy fisherman at the end of a line of 26 anglers with 200 ft Roach poles once refused to let me past until I could show him my cycle licence........

I did post this on a previous thread once, however, do not think the OP will be slightly interested.

:lol:

Maybe! but just asking, maybe it was a silly question but I was reading a book today about selling up and cruising and it said something in there about a certificate!

We obviously have an attitude problem?

Try www.waterscape.com for rules, regs and costs

Sue

The question is

If so how?

In the sense of a 'licence to drive' no but the boat requires a licence to be on the relevant authority's water.

It will also need to be insured for 'Third party' usually for cover of £3,000,000

On BW waters it will also need a RCD (boat less than four years old) or a BSS [safety certificates]

On BW waters it will also need a RCD (boat less than four years old) or a BSS [safety certificates]

Pedant mode ON -

I understood that was up to 5 not 4 years old.

The canal fairies come out and maintain the system, remove the rubbish and fix the damaged lock gates and paddles all on a whim....

He means a licence as in certificate of competence, not licence as in the equivalent of car tax.

To answer the OP, no you do not need a licence in that sense. But it would be pretty strange to fork out thousands, and usually tens of thousands, on a boat and not fork out for even a day's training - unless you've already gained significant experience in other ways, of course.

Edited by ymu

How much is the boat licence in the Netherlands.....?

How much is the boat licence in the Netherlands.....?

I have no idea - but I'm guessing the premise of post is that they are free and perhaps BW's should be too...

I guess if that's the case then the maintenance of the system is funded through the general taxation or local taxation – making it free to boaters, is that what you are hinting at??

I have no idea - but I'm guessing the premise of post is that they are free and perhaps BW's should be too...

I guess if that's the case then the maintenance of the system is funded through the general taxation or local taxation – making it free to boaters, is that what you are hinting at??

Yes, the importance, to the nation, of the waterways in the Netherlands is recognised so they are funded directly from the public purse.

Also, if your boat qualifies for the Dutch equivalent of the National Historic Ships Register, you can still use red diesel, recognising the value of their heritage fleet.

In France, I believe it is still the case, if you don't move you don't pay a licence (though I believe that they have, in the past, consulted with BW about managing their waterways network more effectively, hopefully as a "how not to do it" exercise)