Springers

ladymary

Featured Posts

Despite its "moustache", or barge boards, or whatever the correct term is, I don't think it's a Springer: the rest of the shape is all wrong, unless it has had a new superstructure at some time.

EDIT: Dalesman, thanks very much for posting that advert. The "tug" style Springer must have sold in only small numbers, perhaps because it was appreciably more expensive (OK, less cheap) than the firm's other craft. I don't think I have ever seen one - most trad-stern Springers have a rather unfinished look to the rear cabin, as if the back bit has been added as an afterthought.

According to a sterling value web site which I consulted, the 38-footer would cost about £33,700 now and the 40-foot "tug" about £36,800.

Edited by Athy

Ah, it doesn't have the "moustache", so i may have seen these and not realised that they were Springers, as the whole shape is different from the firm's other products, this must have been an entirely new design. The welding on the roof is a bit of a giveaway though!

Thanks, Laurie, for your enlightening post.

Springer Engineering was taken over by Carol and Steve Green in 1991 when the company became Springer (UK) Ltd. The name change suggests insolvency, but the literature at the time simply referred to the original company ceasing trading. They were certainly still in business in late 1993 as I have some original correspondance from that time, but the general concensus is that they finally went bust in 1994, as others have suggested.

Springers are the subject of many urban myths, one of which is that they were fashioned out of old gasometers! Sam Springer was from the east End of London and had a background in fabricating water tanks & often joked that all he did was reverse the principle. I think his self deprecation and the fact that Springers were unashamedly budget boats seem to have produced a non deserved reputation for shoddy build quality and poor quality steel. Nothing could be further from the truth. When was the last time you saw a Springer? Probably earlier today maybe - there are simply loads of them about, and bear in mind a lot of these boats will not have had the most thorough maintenance, a testimony to their durability.

The design of the typical Springer is interesting. Some say the V hull was simply so that the boats could moor nearer the canal side - that is certainly one advantage, others say it was so that they could use thinner steel, a chined hull being inherently stronger than a flat bottom hull. I reckon another reason was that Springers were designed to be equally happy on rivers - hence the wide side decks, the splash guards and the navigation lights as standard. (why fit nav lights and a splash guard on a budget boat?)

We have a 23 foot waterbug ie with the front doors and I love it to bits. Sure, they do roll a bit, but then this is a boat, remember, not a bath tub. I took a friend out on it a few weeks ago and he was astonished a)How much room there is inside b)How quiet it is c)How fast it goes with so little wash, and d) How easy it is to turn round. I don't think I will ever part with our 'bug, even if/when we get a bigger boat.

I remember someone remarking that the Springer was the Morris Minor of the Canal, I think it is nearer to a 2CV myself, but the sentiment is right.

There is certainly one Springer owner who has famously taken his boat to sea - and famously been rescued by the RNLI... However versatile Springers are, going to sea in any narrowboat is truly reckless and unnecessary.

That boat in the clip BTW is definately based on a waterbug hull, but it's heavily modified at the bow and the cabin. I do like it though. A popular mod on the waterbug is a rear deck extension and that, plus changing the windows, is next on my wish list.

Oh, if anyone is interested there is a facebook page for Springer owners call Springer Owners United.

Springer Engineering was taken over by Carol and Steve Green in 1991 when the company became Springer (UK) Ltd. The name change suggests insolvency, but the literature at the time simply referred to the original company ceasing trading. They were certainly still in business in late 1993 as I have some original correspondance from that time, but the general concensus is that they finally went bust in 1994, as others have suggested.

Springers are the subject of many urban myths, one of which is that they were fashioned out of old gasometers! Sam Springer was from the east End of London and had a background in fabricating water tanks & often joked that all he did was reverse the principle. I think his self deprecation and the fact that Springers were unashamedly budget boats seem to have produced a non deserved reputation for shoddy build quality and poor quality steel. Nothing could be further from the truth. When was the last time you saw a Springer? Probably earlier today maybe - there are simply loads of them about, and bear in mind a lot of these boats will not have had the most thorough maintenance, a testimony to their durability.

The design of the typical Springer is interesting. Some say the V hull was simply so that the boats could moor nearer the canal side - that is certainly one advantage, others say it was so that they could use thinner steel, a chined hull being inherently stronger than a flat bottom hull. I reckon another reason was that Springers were designed to be equally happy on rivers - hence the wide side decks, the splash guards and the navigation lights as standard. (why fit nav lights and a splash guard on a budget boat?)

We have a 23 foot waterbug ie with the front doors and I love it to bits. Sure, they do roll a bit, but then this is a boat, remember, not a bath tub. I took a friend out on it a few weeks ago and he was astonished a)How much room there is inside b)How quiet it is c)How fast it goes with so little wash, and d) How easy it is to turn round. I don't think I will ever part with our 'bug, even if/when we get a bigger boat.

I remember someone remarking that the Springer was the Morris Minor of the Canal, I think it is nearer to a 2CV myself, but the sentiment is right.

There is certainly one Springer owner who has famously taken his boat to sea - and famously been rescued by the RNLI... However versatile Springers are, going to sea in any narrowboat is truly reckless and unnecessary.

That boat in the clip BTW is definately based on a waterbug hull, but it's heavily modified at the bow and the cabin. I do like it though. A popular mod on the waterbug is a rear deck extension and that, plus changing the windows, is next on my wish list.

Oh, if anyone is interested there is a facebook page for Springer owners call Springer Owners United.

Great info, Neil, thank you. I know that P.J. Smith took over when S. Springer retired but I have never heard of carol and Steve Green. Does anyone know what became of them after the end of Springer's - did they establish any other waterways businesses?

I think the gasometer story was true regarding the earliest boats (Sam started building boats in 1969 as far as i know).

Thanks also for the expression "splash guards" which is probably the correct name for the Springer "moustache".

Thanks Neil2 for the unsolicited plug for the site :lol:

SpringerCH.jpg

Springerch2.jpg

I'll second the bit about the cramped toilet compartment...but you can shower in it as well.

Ah, it doesn't have the "moustache", so i may have seen these and not realised that they were Springers, as the whole shape is different from the firm's other products, this must have been an entirely new design. The welding on the roof is a bit of a giveaway though!

Thanks, Laurie, for your enlightening post.

Must admit the welding on "Clarrie" leaves a lot to be desired.

:lol:

Hardern's obviously don't believe in throwing anything away. Yavanna is still in their hire fleet today, now more realistically advertised as a 4-berth. She must be at least 26 years old. Apart from the ones on the Canal de Berry in France, is this the only Springer remaining in hire service?

Hardern's obviously don't believe in throwing anything away. Yavanna is still in their hire fleet today, now more realistically advertised as a 4-berth. She must be at least 26 years old. Apart from the ones on the Canal de Berry in France, is this the only Springer remaining in hire service?

Are the hire rates still the same...

The fact that a hire company still run a 26 year old springer tells you all you need to know about these boats. One interesting point mentioned was how quiet the engine was - not the first time I've heard this about springers. I don't know whether it's the type of engine that was typically installed (and the BMC 1500 is a very underrated lump, in my view) or how it's fitted, or what. Fascinating bit of archive anyway.

Perhaps if the reviewer was writing today he would not describe the engine as quiet. Remember that Springers of that era often had Sabbs or Lister SR2s, both estimable engines but quite strident - so the BMC would seem quiet by comparison. Mine has a 3-cylinder Thornycroft which certainly makes its presence known! Modern units such as Isuzus and Betas probably emit far fewer decibels.

Perhaps if the reviewer was writing today he would not describe the engine as quiet. Remember that Springers of that era often had Sabbs or Lister SR2s, both estimable engines but quite strident - so the BMC would seem quiet by comparison. Mine has a 3-cylinder Thornycroft which certainly makes its presence known! Modern units such as Isuzus and Betas probably emit far fewer decibels.

Don't forget the commonly used Ducati engine either - quiet they were not!

I think a lot of Springers now have engines that are not those originally fitted.

I'm no expert, but think that in the early days, the Lister SR2 etc would have been considered too expensive a fit in these boats, turned out very much to a price, but perhaps I'm wrong ?

My first experience of a Springer was our family hiring one from Red Rose Cruisers in Berkhamsted in (I think!) about 1970. They had recently added three to a fleet, up until then only running wooden cabin cruisers. The one we hired was 37 feet, but at least one was around 6 foot longer. These were disastrous, because Red Rose decided to stick with what they knew, and power them not with diesels, but twin Evinrude / Johnson petrol outboards of around 5.5 HP each.

Long story, but the persistence we must have shown to actually get from Berkhamsted to Stoke Bruerne and back in a week, despite frequent breakdowns, beggars belief now, (each call-out, of course involving trying to find a pay-phone in some remote rural area - we became quite efficient at keep going, even if struggling on on just one outboard).

I'd love to see pictures of these boats, (ours was "Jenny Rose"), or a brochure, as we had no camera with us. I know they did get diesels shoe-horned into them, (despite lacking the usual full sized cruiser stern), after the fleet was disbanded.

Of course, because they were outboard powered, they couldn't charge batteries. Your total 12 volts for the week was a couple of those big ex-army batteries in large metal boxes like ammunition cases. You had to be frugal with lights, as these had to last the full 7 days.....

You've raised a point which I have often wondered about, Alan. I have seen Springers powered by Sabb, Lister, Ducati, Volvo, Thornycroft, Yanmar and others. I think the majority of the later ones had BMCs. Was the engine the customer's choice, or did it depend on which make Sam Springer could get at a good price that month? I don't know whether most of his boats were built for specific customers or whether they were mostly spec boats.

Are the hire rates still the same...

The fact that a hire company still run a 26 year old springer tells you all you need to know about these boats. One interesting point mentioned was how quiet the engine was - not the first time I've heard this about springers. I don't know whether it's the type of engine that was typically installed (and the BMC 1500 is a very underrated lump, in my view) or how it's fitted, or what. Fascinating bit of archive anyway.

Having a knackered BMC 1.5 on ours...the noise from on and inside the boat is considerable....however, a fellow boater remarked how quiet Verity was a she glided past!! which rather surprised me.

On our recent travels I encountered a 54-foot Springer powered by a 2-cylinder Sabb which, though emitting a pleasing rhythm, sounded as if it was running in a dustbin. The granny of the family on board told me the boat's rather poignant story. It was built in 1974 and spent five years as a hire boat. She and her husband then bought it and have owned it for 31 years. The husband has been diagnosed with dementia so reluctantly they are going to sell the boat - it was obvious from what she said that this would be a wrench but that they would be left with happy memories. They plan to sell it via their marina, Calcutt, so if anyone's looking for an inexpensive liveaboard with an engine in a dustbin, this could be for you.

Yes, it does make sense, as I believe that by that time Thornycroft engines were in fact imported and marinised Mitsubishis. They had previously been marinised BMC and, a long LONG time ago, Thornycroft actually made their own engines, including steam ones.

Yes, it does make sense, as I believe that by that time Thornycroft engines were in fact imported and marinised Mitsubishis. They had previously been marinised BMC and, a long LONG time ago, Thornycroft actually made their own engines, including steam ones.

On my Springer Tug, I have a Thornycroft marinised 3 cylinder Mitsubishi. Very quiet running.

:)

The boat called Yavanna in Chas,s current fleet isnt the original boat as shown in the advert, Chas,s entire fleet used to be made up of Springers but he has now updated the whole fleet and sold his last Springer (Mr Todd) a few years ago, he has kept the names from the old boats and transfered them on to his new fleet hence the name of Yavanna.

Here is my little beauty

011-3.jpg

003.jpg

035.jpg

Edited by kienik

Here is my little beauty

011-3.jpg

003.jpg

035.jpg

Fantastic boats with everything necessary for a great holiday.

I'd love to hire something this basic and simple, instead of the bloated "all mod cons" hire boats, of today (though I'd favour a wooden Walton, Taylors or Harboro, of course).

Fantastic boats with everything necessary for a great holiday.

I'd love to hire something this basic and simple, instead of the bloated "all mod cons" hire boats, of today (though I'd favour a wooden Walton, Taylors or Harboro, of course).

Couldn't agree more.

I wonder how many of today's seasoned boaters started with a Springer.

We had our first boat built by Springers in 1987. It was one of the last ones made in the old factory. The workshop was a throwback to Victorian times. The only large pieces of machinery were a huge bending machine and a massive guillotine. H&S was completely unknown in those days. I was encouraged to watch and even lend a hand in the construction – mainly as a dogsbody.

When the time came to fit the engine, Sam Springer said that he was sorry but he was unable to obtain a 3-cylinder Mitsubishi, but would I mind if he fitted, at no extra cost, a 4 cylinder version.

We had the boat, called Asphodel, for two years – going all over the system. In those days I was perfectly happy going 12 or 13 hours a day. It was a wonderful first boat and I was rather sad to see it go.

We swapped it for Owl – which was in a sorry state. Mother-in-law's reaction was,“Why on earth have you got rid of your lovely new boat and changed it for a wreck?” Why indeed!

If Asphodel is still going strong, I'd love to hear from the present owners. I've got lots of photos of it being built which they might be interested in.