New Fridge - A Few Teething Problems

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

As all shoreline does is use normal fridges and then fit the Danfoss or ACC 12V compressor, you would think they would have insisted that Danfoss fixed what is clearly an known ongoing fault.

I've got a new Shoreline RR102, same as David's, and as far as I can tell it does not cause any interference to TV or radio.

A result.

This morning I received an email from Shoreline, informing me that they have ordered a replacement shielded electronic unit from Danfoss and are arranging for an engineer to visit our boat and fit the replacement part. Lets hope that solves the problem.

Since making my original post I have been reading a few salt water boating forums and it seems that the failure of the standard Danfoss electronic unit to supress radio interference is well known and has been for the past six or seven years. There is an enormous body of criticism within the sea boating community against Danfoss for only selling compressors with the non shielded electronic unit and then charging something like £150 for a replacement shielded substitute electrnic unit.

So it would appear that the problem is not exclusively Shoreline's, but the manufacturer if the compressor unit. Nevertheless, if I was manufacturing 12v fridges for sale to the boating world, I think I would be insisting on Danfoss supplying compressors with the shielded unit in the first place, rather than having to face the hassle of paying for and replacing the unshielded unit when it causes problems. Or is that too simple?

:lol:

As all shoreline does is use normal fridges and then fit the Danfoss or ACC 12V compressor, you would think they would have insisted that Danfoss fixed what is clearly an known ongoing fault.

I've got a new Shoreline RR102, same as David's, and as far as I can tell it does not cause any interference to TV or radio.

Sounds like they have done well for you then really, hopefully that will cure the problem for you.

As dave says, odd that shoreline dont get onto danfoss to pull there finger out really if thats the root of the issue.

Interesting reading as from time to time i consider replacing our aging Engle, which still works fine, but produces a lot of (audiable) noise (not electrical) and does consume more power than the documented figures for the newer Shoreline. Not a huge issue as we usually cruise which topps the batterys up and we run it all day and off at night. But when stopped for a week it does become and issue.

Daniel

You may be lucky because of the wiring runs on your boat. Apparently (if you read the sea boat forums) the problem is where the electrical wiring for the fridge runs close to wiring for the radio. The fridge's electronic unit circuitry is designed to reduce power consumption, but in the process it transmits a signal which is picked up by the radio supply wiring, interfering with the signal. The problem can be rectified (no pun intended) by shielding the electronic unit, but Danfoss do not fit the shielded unit as standard.

A point I raised with Shoreline is that on many Narrowboats the wiring harness runs through the same trunking and therefore closeness is an inevitabilty. My suggestion that this factor should be taken into account when designing a fridge marketed specificallt for Boats seemed to be revelation to the person to whom I was speaking, who suggested that I should re-route the wiring. I am at a loss as to where the suggested re-routing might be positioed without removing either the cabin side cladding or the roof lining.

The last RR102 fridge I looked at did not have a Danfoss compressor but a Cubigel GD30FDC with Smart Speed electronic unit.

Perhaps this is why some people are having problems and others not?

David, Thanks for the link to this post. I was going to buy one of these because it is the only one that will fit in our cabinet.

The 240v ac version of this fridge is £120 in Currys!!!!!!!!!!!

And I'm not impressed with the quality of it either especially compared to our 9 year LEC. The salad bin is next to useless.

Rich

The last RR102 fridge I looked at did not have a Danfoss compressor but a Cubigel GD30FDC with Smart Speed electronic unit.

Perhaps this is why some people are having problems and others not?

David, Thanks for the link to this post. I was going to buy one of these because it is the only one that will fit in our cabinet.

The 240v ac version of this fridge is £120 in Currys!!!!!!!!!!!

And I'm not impressed with the quality of it either especially compared to our 9 year LEC. The salad bin is next to useless.

Rich

Some salty forums and websites just to reinforce the radio interference issue with Danfoss Compressors without shielded electronic units :-

http://www.ybw.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-142137.html (see last two posts)

http://forum.ssca.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3434

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Re...6/msg00628.html

http://www.oceannavigator.com/content/redu...io-interference

http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=34...61073;topicseen (see post 6 onwards)

AsI have said it is a well known problem, it's just that 12v fridge manufacturers seem to want to deny the problem unless pressed on the issue

Edited by David Schweizer

Reading this thread confirms my impression that we made the right call: a top-of-range Bosch fridge with glass shelves, solid interior with silver-based anti-bacterial coating, A+ energy rating. 240V. Half the price of the cheapest 12V fridge we could find. We already had a suitable inverter.

MP.

We collected our new Shoreline RR102 fridge from Midland Chandlers on Friday and installed it later that day. The fridge is working well and uses far less power than our old Engel fridge, however were have couple of problems.

The Shoreline website states that the fridge door is reversable, but there are no instructions as to how this is achieved, and no evidence of any means of removing the hinge plates, Has anyone reversed the door on their Shoreline Fridge, if so could they please share the method.

The second problem is that the new fridge would appear to have no supression on the compressor, causing it to interfere with radio reception. We did not use the TV so do not know whether it has any effect on TV reception yet. Has anyone else had a similar problem and if so how did they solve it?

To swap door round on my fridge (and my freezer) all I had to do was undo 2 cross head screws under hinge plate, remove screwed adjusting foot and swap them over. The top pivot bush just pops out though the blanking plug on opposite side did prove to be a bit naughty to remove.

Hope this helps, cannot help with the interference as I have not had this problem.

Phil

Reading this thread confirms my impression that we made the right call: a top-of-range Bosch fridge with glass shelves, solid interior with silver-based anti-bacterial coating, A+ energy rating. 240V. Half the price of the cheapest 12V fridge we could find. We already had a suitable inverter.

MP.

Nah !

Gas is still the best way of doing things ! :lol:

Very interesting, it would appear that I have either purchased a fridge that has been in stock for some while, or a discontinued unit has been fitted to a new fridge by Shoreline.

We've just bought a Sh**line F/F. Changed the door hanging, went OK but the plugs I removed to fit the hinge don't fit in the old holes cos they are now to small to fit the holes that had the screws in and no spares are supplied.

The radio [240v] now picks up interference whenever the fridge starts, never had that problem with the old one.

The seperate freezer compartment doesn't come with a shelf so you have to pile everything up. Have now made one by heating some Perspex into an 'n' shape.

Poor quality, considering the high price, and poor customer service received when phoning to ask about spare plugs and a shelf.

Can't see me buying a Sh**line again or recommending them.

Only reason we bought this was the depth, but I think we would have been better off resiting it and buying 240v F/F and inverter.

Must be better quality out there surely.

hi .we purchased a new 12v fridge from a chandler while building the boat. We stored the new fridge in the spare room for 13 months, then we fitted the fridge in the boat, plugged it in, opend the door and the light came on. All was well, we thought. 24 hours later the fridge was no colder. It was a dud, so we rung up the chandler, who had supplied the £400.00 fridge and the upshot was, we were 4 weeks out of the warranty, so they did absolutely nothing. What a surprise. With that, we skipped the fridge, went to a white goods warehouse in Wrexham and purchased a full sized domestic low energy fridge £79.00, which we have been running 24-7, while we are on the boat since 2006. A lesson well learned.

Very interesting, it would appear that I have either purchased a fridge that has been in stock for some while, or a discontinued unit has been fitted to a new fridge by Shoreline.

Interesting! I'll see if I can find a part number on my unit. As I understood it, the RR102 was a new model this spring. I bought mine through Aquafax at the beginning of June and it was new stock just in and they had only just started stocking that model.

Interesting! I'll see if I can find a part number on my unit. As I understood it, the RR102 was a new model this spring. I bought mine through Aquafax at the beginning of June and it was new stock just in and they had only just started stocking that model.

Yes Midland Chandlers referred to it as "New" model. So taking into account Shoreline's decision to replace the unshielded ECU in my new fridge, I am pretty certain that they know that they have been fitting old stock compressors, without the RFI sheilding, into their new fridges in the hope that they would get away with it.

Despite their insistance that they had only recieved a couple of complaints about radio Interference, Shoreline knew exactly what the problem was, and how to rectify it. I cannot believe that Shoreline were unaware of The Danfoss decision to discontinue the unsheilded unit earlier this year, and again were just hoping that their customers would not find out about it.

I'm sure you're right, David, but we'll never have the proof to know for sure.

The next time I have to pull our Waeco out I'll take a look at the control unit and see if it's shielded or not, just out of curiosity.

Tony

I would guess that if they have a shed full of the old units, and the majority of customers don't have any problems, then that is the easiest way to use them up - but that approach should be backed up by a friendly helpful attitude and an immediate offer of a free replacement to anyone who does have a problem.

I'll see if I can find a part number on my unit.

Well, I've had a look at the control unit on mine and am none the wiser. There are no part numbers or other identifications visible on the outside. It has a black plastic cover, with 'ACC' moulded on it and a label stuck on it with a logo and "Smart Speed". Without dismantling it (which I'm not going to do whilst it is under warranty) I can't tell if it is shielded, but I guess the plastic cover could have a metal liner.

Having said that, I don't get any interference on my radio, but then my 12V cabling is all at ceiling height.

I have to say though that the RR102 is the best 12V fridge I've come across, both in terms of power consumption and level of coldness in the ice box (without the contents ofd the fridge freezing as well).

Edited by dor

Well, I've had a look at the control unit on mine and am none the wiser. There are no part numbers or other identifications visible on the outside. It has a black plastic cover, with 'ACC' moulded on it and a label stuck on it with a logo and "Smart Speed". Without dismantling it (which I'm not going to do whilst it is under warranty) I can't tell if it is shielded, but I guess the plastic cover could have a metal liner.

Having said that, I don't get any interference on my radio, but then my 12V cabling is all at ceiling height.

I have to say though that the RR102 is the best 12V fridge I've come across, both in terms of power consumption and level of coldness in the ice box (without the contents ofd the fridge freezing as well).

From what I understand, the screening is an aluminium box which fits outside the black ECU, I shall know in a couple of weeks when they fit the new one.

I agree about the Fridge performance, low consumption and very effective cooling, although initially it seemed to take quite while to get down to working temperature.

Edited by David Schweizer

The Smart Speed controller is for the ACC/Cubigel GD30FDC compressor and is not a Danfoss compressor. Looks like it is best to get a fridge with one of them fitted unless you can be sure the Danfoss compressor is fitted with the current screened control unit. The Smart Speed unit is a clever piece of kit, its settings can be programed using a PC.

http://www.cubigel.com/cubigel3/pdf/User-Manual_GD30FDC_OK.pdf