Beware of tidal waters

GUMPY

Featured Posts

Farrrrrrkkkk.

As someone whos done that trip, including hearing tails of the having happened before, and as someone whos boat has run aground on a failling tide before now, its not fun im sure. Fortunatly we ran aground on the sand on of the trent and floating of (at 1am) with no real complications. But yes. Its not a place to get it wrong that, and inless you have contacts and work quick, its not long till the tides back.

Daniel

Eek - we did that crossing a couple of weeks ago and "there but for the grace ...." springs to mind! Dave & I can't remember the channel marker the news item refers to and I can't see it on any of my photos (I took 122!)

I hope they recover their boat without too much damage.

The grassy bank the boat is resting on looks familiar..... hasn't there been several groundings at that spot ?

Yes I think it is the turning from The Ribble to the Millennium Link this does happen quite often with boaters trying to cut across to The Link instead of carrying on and taking sharp turn either left when entering Link or sharp right when exiting Link you have to turn from middle of Ribble and not cut across.

Note: Now all that makes sense to me but on reading it again it might only make sense to anyone that has done the crossing!!!

This pic gives an idea of how the entrance to the Link should be approached - we thought the boats in front were going right past, it seemed that late that they turned towards it:-

39744_1565493539262_1293093084_31563060_1433707_n.jpg

Is there a limit for boating like there is for cars? or are people generally more sensible and don't need policing?

ummmmmmmmmmmm

they may introduce it if they watch many scenes like this

Is there a limit for boating like there is for cars? or are people generally more sensible and don't need policing?

There is one proposed for inland waters, I'm not sure where its got to, BW admit they never collect data as to the alcohol status of boaters although I think the Marina Accident Investigation Board do.

The lack of a limit doesn't mean a breathalyser is useless though, you mustn't be drunk in charge of a boat at present and if the skipper was, say four times over the legal limit this could be taken as evidence of drunkenness

The Railways and Transport Safety Act 2003 gives the same limits for boats as cars. However, Section 80, which defines the limit for "non professional" boaters, has not yet been enabled.

As the offence does not yet exist, the Police would have no power to demand a breath test.

Iain

Edited to add : Although given some of the precedents under Road Traffic legislation, the last bit may be arguable :lol:

Edited by Iain_S

The Railways and Transport Safety Act 2003 gives the same limits for boats as cars. However, Section 80, which defines the limit for "non professional" boaters, has not yet been enabled.

As the offence does not yet exist, the Police would have no power to demand a breath test.

Iain

But if you were found to be over the limit and no charge could be laid is it possible your insurance company could use this to say your insurance is void?

Edited to add : Although given some of the precedents under Road Traffic legislation, the last bit may be arguable :lol:

I know were going off topic, I think one big difference here is that they wouldn't have any sanction if it were refused.

It is an offence to be drunk in charge of a vessel, depends where the vessel is as to what the offence is, on a BW non-tidal waterway it's in the byelaws, but as it's not an offence to be above any given level, and the police have not been given any power to demand a test, they can only request one.

BTW, I stayed dry both ways, but given the difficulties of our passages I poured myself the biggest scotch ever as soon as I was off the tidal bit!

The good news is that the boat has now been recovered and lifted out at Preston Marina. The bad news is that it is water damaged internally. It grounded on the tidal section of Savick Brook between the junction and the sea lock due to the boat taking an accidental turn to the wrong side of the way-markers. Myself and another boat were following and we both tried to pull him off astern but he was completely grounded and the tide was ebbing. The full emergency service response was called due to the boat reported to be flooding. Happily, both occupants are ok.

The house boat, estimated to be worth up to £75,000 and around 57ft, ran into difficulties at the Ribble Link, near to Savick Brook, on Tuesday afternoon.

Why do the press have a problem calling a narrow boat a narrow boat, we get barge, long boat and now bloody house boat!!! - they get it right in the first sentence....

Edited by NB No Deadlines