Are pumpout tanks suposed to over flow?

enviropc

Featured Posts

Guest wanted

I'm a little confused, I have a pump out with no whistles or bells, just a hole that you look down. I reckon that I would be able to spot crapageddon before it made i t's way to the roof.

look down, it helps x

I would of thought the red light should come on when full so maybe a loose connection somewhere. But if its overflowing from a roof vent i would of thought it would started coming back up the pan first unless thats on the roof as well.

if i was you i would just keep checking the tank every now and then to make sure its not to full and getting it empty before it hits the roof.

Most pump out's have some form of one way valve system to prevent sewage coming up the pan, this allows tank to be mounted at the same level as the toilet. (Essential on a narrow boat)

The floats are made of plastic and do sometimes stick, although usually after the tank has been emptied rather than when it is filling up. The effluent is pumped into the tank through non-return valves so I would expect if you ignored the indicators it would overflow through the air vent which exits via a hull fitting. The air vent has a carbon filter in line so only filtered effluent would come out - but still not pleasant I'm sure!! :lol:

Solids tend to build up on floats. Eventually they stop floating. Usually means opening up and cleaning float. I am surprised at you having three floats. In my experiance it is usually one float with three switch positions. In a well thought out installation the uppermost switch will disable the pump.

If effluent is allowed to pass through the carbon filter, the filter breaks up and the stink is horrendous! (Thats an experience thing!)

The red light is activated by a 'float' switch in the holding tank, mine comes on at approx 85% full, time to think about emptying! Maybe there's a problem with the float switch - good luck, not a job I'd fancy!

As the name suggests, the float switch on such models is generally activated by an excess of floaters. :lol: ....coat...

I'm a little confused, I have a pump out with no whistles or bells, just a hole that you look down. I reckon that I would be able to spot crapageddon before it made i t's way to the roof.

look down, it helps x

You have a basic dump-through with the tank directly below the toilet. It sounds like the OP has a remote tank.

Edited by blackrose

As others have said, a lit RED led signifies imminent need to empty. Of yours isn't working then repair /replace urgently.

As you have a remote tank, I also suggest you measure it, calculate its approximate volume, ask the loo manufacturer the normal flush volume, and you'll be able to calculate the number of flushes per tank

Guest wanted
As the name suggests, the float switch on such models is generally activated by an excess of floaters. :lol: ....coat...

You have a basic dump-through with the tank directly below the toilet. It sounds like the OP has a remote tank.

ah, got ya :lol:

Our toilet does the same sometimes, it overflows out the air hole when full, i can tell straight away when its full cos a few signs are the boat is listing badly to toilet tank side, 2nd when flushing i can here it trickle into the canal..

we have a green light where you click to flush but its never gone red either, but we have a guage on our tank but i have never trusted it because like my other guages they arent that reliable, i have recently noticed though that the toilet tank guage does actually work so might trust it a little now but if not just wait for the smell or the trickle i say..but if your really clever we mark it down on the calender and know after 4 weeks it wont be far off.. :lol:

Our toilet does the same sometimes, it overflows out the air hole when full, i can tell straight away when its full cos a few signs are the boat is listing badly to toilet tank side, 2nd when flushing i can here it trickle into the canal..

Such stories reinforce the case for cassette toilets.

As others have said, a lit RED led signifies imminent need to empty. Of yours isn't working then repair /replace urgently.

As you have a remote tank, I also suggest you measure it, calculate its approximate volume, ask the loo manufacturer the normal flush volume, and you'll be able to calculate the number of flushes per tank

Or you could log the quantities of waste going down and keep a running total and compare it with the volume of the tank. :lol:

Cant say i have ever heard of this happening before but it doent sound too pleasant :lol:

We have a red LED indicator that tells you when the tank is getting full (as others have said though they can get stuck on). Ours doesnt overflow when full but refuses to flush down into the tank resulting in a bowl full of wee until you can find the next place to empty the tank.

we have a green light where you click to flush but its never gone red either, but we have a guage on our tank but i have never trusted it because like my other guages they arent that reliable, i have recently noticed though that the toilet tank guage does actually work so might trust it a little now but if not just wait for the smell or the trickle i say..but if your really clever we mark it down on the calender and know after 4 weeks it wont be far off.. :lol:

Please don't wait for the trickle. It's a bit grim for the rest of us and it is knowingly breaking the law. Work out how your gauge works and if in doubt, pump out sooner rather than later.

look down, it helps x

Keeping it simple works :lol:

Sue

Those gauges look like exactly what im looking for.

I do have a remote tank and although ive not inspected it too closely it looks like a sealed unit.

next time we pump out ill defo keep a 'log' of how many times we can flush before the 'sh17' hits hits the fan.

Those gauges look like exactly what im looking for.

I do have a remote tank and although ive not inspected it too closely it looks like a sealed unit.

next time we pump out ill defo keep a 'log' of how many times we can flush before the 'sh17' hits hits the fan.

AFAIK air vents are not an optional extra. There's a reason why they're fitted, and it's not so you can leak into the canal until you can be arsed to find a pump-out point.