Thetford cassettes

dor

Featured Posts

We generally fill a cassette every week, and roatate two (with a third 'emergency' one under the bed). Our current one has been in use for three years so ech cassette has probably been used about 50 times.

I've come across two problems with the C200:

1: When you open the slide, the contents 'bloop' as they go in - clearly the air vent isn't working and the air has to escape past the contents going in. I've investigated the design, and the air vent is opened by the yellow rectangular button on the top which is depressed when the cassette is inserted/ However it has a flat plastic float inside which is free to rise against a rubber ring which is presumably to shut it off if it gets too full. It would appear that this is sticking to the rubber ring in the closed position. Has anyone else fould this and do you have a solution?

2: The round yellow button with the raised ridge which rotates the slide leaks when you pick the cassette up by the end carrying handle. Only a slight leak, but enough to leave a trail of drips on the floor if you are not careful.

It seems spares are available http://www.waudbys.co.uk/products/models__c200_cscwcwe.html but does anyone have experience of changing these parts?

We generally fill a cassette every week, and roatate two (with a third 'emergency' one under the bed). Our current one has been in use for three years so ech cassette has probably been used about 50 times.

1: When you open the slide, the contents 'bloop' as they go in - clearly the air vent isn't working and the air has to escape past the contents going in. I've investigated the design, and the air vent is opened by the yellow rectangular button on the top which is depressed when the cassette is inserted/ However it has a flat plastic float inside which is free to rise against a rubber ring which is presumably to shut it off if it gets too full. It would appear that this is sticking to the rubber ring in the closed position. Has anyone else fould this and do you have a solution?

2: The round yellow button with the raised ridge which rotates the slide leaks when you pick the cassette up by the end carrying handle. Only a slight leak, but enough to leave a trail of drips on the floor if you are not careful.

It seems spares are available http://www.waudbys.co.uk/products/models__c200_cscwcwe.html but does anyone have experience of changing these parts?

Here we go.

I've never found a definitive answer to "Do you leave water in the bowl or not", it seems some do & some dont, the "bloop" isnt a problem if you dont & just leave the slide open all the time.

I always thought the air vent was for when emptying the cassette, to let air in so the contents can get out!! and good riddance, nothing to do with inserting the cassette.

After 5 years we, I should say I, I get all the bum jobs, have had a few drippy problems. I understand that the seals do perish/deteriorate over time and that they can be replaced reasonably easily but not reasonably cheaply!! Its on my to do list but in the meantime I just carry the cassette horizontally.

Hpe that helps

Steve

Edited by sharpness

OK.

On ours, the automatic vent is entirely grey

5575_35.JPG

These are incredibly easy to change, as they are just a twist fit into the cassette

Never tried to replace the slide mechanism, although I have replaced the lip seal, and that is pretty simple.

Never tried to replace the slide mechanism, although I have replaced the lip seal, and that is pretty simple.

Done this as a caravanner and confirm changing the seal is a very easy job....

1: When you open the slide, the contents 'bloop' as they go in - clearly the air vent isn't working and the air has to escape past the contents going in.

I don't usually reply to toilet posts ............ but, it is always best to close the toilet lid before opening the slider. After not using our boat for a while ........... (no I won't go into details)........................

Oh no! Not another thread where folk are talking complete shite....

On a serious note were running a thetford 200 and so far the seals have not caused problems yet (2 years). Based on my experience of neoprene seals - assuming that is the material used - they need to be regularly moved else they eventually 'set' in a compressed state. Once the 'set' seal is moved they always leak thereafter although boiling water will sometimes wake up the elasticity.

Edited by bag 'o' bones

Actually, if you look at the spares list there, it is VERY interesting.

A replacement cassette is £179.95

A "fresh up kit" consisting of a new seat, a new cassette and two bottles of cleaning stuff is £95.00

85 quid extra to NOT have the seat and cleaning stuff!

I always thought the air vent was for when emptying the cassette, to let air in so the contents can get out

The one used for emptying the cassette is the round button. The one I am referring to is the rectangular button one, as illustrated in Mayalld's post (though mine is yellow).

Not had a problem with the slide seal.

These are incredibly easy to change, as they are just a twist fit into the cassette

Dave: I tried removing one; it rotates through about 45 degrees, but didn't seem keen on coming outr; I didn't want to force it. Do you just give it a good tug (the valve that is)?

The one used for emptying the cassette is the round button. The one I am referring to is the rectangular button one, as illustrated in Mayalld's post (though mine is yellow).

Not had a problem with the slide seal.

Dave: I tried removing one; it rotates through about 45 degrees, but didn't seem keen on coming outr; I didn't want to force it. Do you just give it a good tug (the valve that is)?

Yes, it just pulls out. Appkly steady pressure as you rotate it, and it will pop out very easily.

A "fresh up kit" consisting of a new seat, a new cassette and two bottles of cleaning stuff is £95.00

I'd completely missed that, Dave. I might buy the fresh up kit to get us a spare cassette (and seat, and cleaning stuff...)

Crazy pricing.

Tony

Done this as a caravanner and confirm changing the seal is a very easy job....

Another tip from the motor caravan world when you replace the lip seal have a good look at the old one if no damage can be seen to the edge of the sealing lip put the old seal in the plastic box that the new one came in & give it a good soaking in WD40 or similar, seal up box with masking tape & store flat until the replacement goes us.then swop over & start all over. Been doing this since 1992 & only bought the one replacement

That's a rip off for the relacement cassette on its own. Try here http://www.chandleryworld.co.uk/catalogue/...p5362-2240.html

180 quid is a bit of a rip off, i knew boats were expensive, but didnt realise chandlers would charge over double what the exact same item goes for at a caravan shop, i.e. around 80 quid gets you a brand new c200 cassette.

i've had my c200 for over 14 years, i've never replaced the seals on it yet,

i never leave the bowl with water in, but during winter i leave the blade open, that's when most seals are riped, they stick over winter as they dry out, then you operate the blade and it sticks.

the automatic air vent is there to ensure pressure dosent build up inside the tank, i.e. from going up mountians and back down, again i never had to replace mine in the 8 years i had it in use,

i fitted a sog 6 years ago, so the auto vent is not there any more, the vacuum connector is there instead

(a sog is a fan, activated carbon filter, housing, pipe and switch, then you open the blade the fan starts up, creating a slight vacuum in the tank, drawing any smells down and out past the filter which is on the outside, no need to use any chemicals, but you do need to hold your breath when emptying)

sogs are very popular in europe, especialy germany where a lot of campsites dont allow you to empty chemicle loos, you have to have a sog unit or take it to a chemicle emptying point and pay for it.