Pronunciations

caspar

Featured Posts

We'll be heading off down the Shroppie again in a few weeks and every time we do I get to thinking about pronouncing names correctly. We have made this journey many times and naturally pass through Brewood (Brood) before turning left or right at Autherley. I had been pronouncing Brewood as Breewud until being embarrassingly put in my place with much laughter when chatting to a group of fellow boaters a few years back.

Cholmondeston lock is not far from where we mooor, but as we do not live locally I have no idea how to pronounce it.

How do you prounce it and what other names out there on the system might catch us out?

We'll be heading off down the Shroppie again in a few weeks and every time we do I get to thinking about pronouncing names correctly. We have made this journey many times and naturally pass through Brewood (Brood) before turning left or right at Autherley. I had been pronouncing Brewood as Breewud until being embarrassingly put in my place with much laughter when chatting to a group of fellow boaters a few years back.

Cholmondeston lock is not far from where we mooor, but as we do not live locally I have no idea how to pronounce it.

How do you prounce it and what other names out there on the system might catch us out?

You have got the hang of Brewood (Brood) .................

Cholmondeston is Chomston .................

Cholmondeley is Chumley................

Welcome to the north .............. are you going to Barnoldswick? ..................

I always say 'it' the i as in 'in' and the t as in shi*.

Coat

Ah yes - we were caught out by Brewood - they called us Southern Jessies :lol:

Not far away from there is Gnosall and I think you have to have been born not far from Brum to pronounce it right. I've heard the locals say it a very long time ago and from memory it sounded like Nowsle.

I like it when the traffic reporters try to pronounce Wrotham (pronounced Rootam for you northern ... what's northern for Jessies :lol: )

Nowhere near the canal network though so sorry, no help to you Casp (though if you happen to find yourself on the River Medway it's not that far away)

The classic but not canal related is, Milngavie north of Glasgow, pronounced "Mulguy" Guaranteed to get the jocks spitting their sides. :lol:

I can also offer ....(again non canal related)

Staithes on the North Yorkshire coast - correct local pronunciation...

Steers....

Why would you be southern 'cos you get the pronunciation wrong?....we're about 150 miles north of Brewood!

I think our accent gave us away - I have a feeling the person who called us it is suffering from that horrible north / south divide disease. It was said in jest though - I'm sure no offence was intended and none was taken

It always surprised me that those north of the border didn't understand that Scotch was English for Scot.

In Scotland of course Scotch is a drink.

Edited by Maffi