Modern Engines - what should I be looking for?

Morat

Featured Posts

I realise this could be a very contentious issue so I'm not going to ask "Which is the best?" but what should I be looking for in an engine for a 60-70ft boat which would probably be doing some tidal river work as well as canals? Are there any makes/models with known issues that I should avoid?

So far the hire boats I've used have all had Beta Engines, which seemed to be perfectly good but I only had to live with them for a week or two at a time.

Also, is diesel the only option? I'd have thought it could be quite useful to have an LPG converted petrol engine.... assuming you weren't too particular about the 60/40 tax split :lol:

I realise this could be a very contentious issue so I'm not going to ask "Which is the best?" but what should I be looking for in an engine for a 60-70ft boat which would probably be doing some tidal river work as well as canals? Are there any makes/models with known issues that I should avoid?

So far the hire boats I've used have all had Beta Engines, which seemed to be perfectly good but I only had to live with them for a week or two at a time.

Also, is diesel the only option? I'd have thought it could be quite useful to have an LPG converted petrol engine.... assuming you weren't too particular about the 60/40 tax split :lol:

Where will you buy your LPG at the side of the cut? And how will you follow the rigorous BSS regulations for such a dangerous fuel?

Richard

Oh, the answer to the first bit is a BMC 1.8 diesel of course

Petrol powered narrowboats are a bit of a rarity, the only ones that spring to mind are the tiny outboard powered versions. What i will say is that the avaliability of petrol at the waterside is much less than diesel plus it costs more. Getting LPG at the waterside would be even harder.

On the subject of your engine, whatever option you go for make sure that the skin tank is adequate for the job of both canal and river work. A lot of installations suffer from getting hot during prolonged tidal runs.

Cant help with how much power you need but it wont be as much as you think it will be. Sonmeone will come along with an answer soon though

Or have a chat with us about a Lister !

Chris

( Oh and you get a CWDF Discount !!)

( Other engine manufactures/marinisers are available but we are the only major marine engine supplier/mariniser which produces a British product marinised by people who own boats and go boating)

Edited by Baldock

I have to admit I haven't a clue about the BSS regulations on LPG for the engine and if they are rigorous enough then I guess they could kill the idea stone dead - but surely you could buy the fuel from wherever you buy your domestic gas?

Apologies for my newness and ignorance!

Or have a chat with us about a Lister !

Chris

We had the Canalstar 36 in our NB - never a problem and very easy to maintain.

But it did have a too small skin tank for tidal passages......

I have to admit I haven't a clue about the BSS regulations on LPG for the engine and if they are rigorous enough then I guess they could kill the idea stone dead.

I really wouldn't go there - a leak in an LPG car engine is just a leak, in a boat its a bilge full of LPG. Not nice!

I hadn't considered it to be honest... what sort of range do you get from an electric boat? and um... I assume you recharge it from land?

Range depends on the quantity of battery, which is governed by weight and your depth of pocket. We have about 5 hours.

Typically you would have charging from a shoreline with an onboard generator as backup and maybe some solar to finish the charging.

Also depends where you are - there are more recharging points on the Thames or the Fens than anywhere else.

Have a look here: Electric Boat Association.

Hey, stay focused!

I'm guessing that you are looking to buy second hand, so you are going to end up with the engine that the boat already has. Is that right?

If so, if you are concerned about a particular engine then post on the forum about it. There may be some kinds of engine to avoid, but off the top of my head I can't think of them. Tony Brookes will steer you away from belt driven camshafts but that's all I can think of. There are some more obscure ones that are a challenge to get spares for but generally boatbuilders are a conservative lot (small c) so you won't find a lot of variation.

Richard

Hey, stay focused!

I'm guessing that you are looking to buy second hand, so you are going to end up with the engine that the boat already has. Is that right?

If so, if you are concerned about a particular engine then post on the forum about it. There may be some kinds of engine to avoid, but off the top of my head I can't think of them. Tony Brookes will steer you away from belt driven camshafts but that's all I can think of. There are some more obscure ones that are a challenge to get spares for but generally boatbuilders are a conservative lot (small c) so you won't find a lot of variation.

Richard

HAHA, I shall consider myself refocused :lol:

OK - so is a Shire 45 any good? I'm assuming that for a given power output the main areas of concern are fuel consumption and maintenance intervals... is the noise level more to do with the way the engine is mounted?

HAHA, I shall consider myself refocused :lol:

OK - so is a Shire 45 any good? I'm assuming that for a given power output the main areas of concern are fuel consumption and maintenance intervals... is the noise level more to do with the way the engine is mounted?

The general figure for narrowboat fuel consumption is about 1 litre per hour. It doesn't vary a lot between narrowboats, perhaps up to two for some. Biggest variations are to do with the boat shape, gearboxes and a load of other stuff including the person holding the speed control. Again, maintenance intervals are measured in 100's of hours and doesn't change much between engines. Engine mountings - more modern ones are better than older designs.

You know, the engine is probably the least thing to bother about if you are buying a boat

Richard

Unless it's something madcap like a Widdop, or a Seffle, or a Bolinder, but you'll know if that's what you are looking at

Edited by RLWP

I have NO idea what that is :lol: I love the sound of the old engines and I do like to get the socket set out and tinker with old cars... but there's no way. My wife wants to enjoy her boating time boating rather than watching my builder's bum through the engine hatch.

I can't really blame her....

I have NO idea what that is :lol: I love the sound of the old engines and I do like to get the socket set out and tinker with old cars... but there's no way. My wife wants to enjoy her boating time boating rather than watching my builder's bum through the engine hatch.

I can't really blame her....

Thats a 15hp Seffle

C

( probably shake a modern boat to pieces)