Modern Engines - what should I be looking for?

Morat

Featured Posts

I'd recommend you go for a 4 cylinder lump if you want peace and quiet and a long-lasting stern gland.

2 cylinder engines will always be lumpy and 3 cylinders, while quieter, tend to have vibration issues and can wear the stern gland oval over time. 4 cylinders will be busier (higher revving) but you'll only really notice when giving it some oomph on the rivers.

This is not to say I don't like engines with less than 4 pots - I like 2 cylinder Listers, and my boat has a 3 cylinder Mitsubishi. But if you want a quiet life I think 4 cylinders are best.

I recently went to the Thornycroft marinisers to buy couple of items for my mitsu. engine. I was impressed by the quality of their units (mitsubishi 4sl same as my vetus). I felt that everything was heavier duty than my Vetus, including the engine mounts, brackets etc. They also fit an alternator pulley for the domestic alt. that is the size of a large dinner plate. Most importantly they fit a PRM gearbox :lol: I found them to be very helpful, friendly and keen to show off their engines.