Hello from a noob

Morat

Featured Posts

Hi, I've just found this forum and it is fascinating to hear all your experiences and learn more about boating. My wife and I have taken three trips on hire boats in the last 18 months and just can't get enough time afloat! If you've seen a hire boat wobbling along with two life jacketed basket hounds recently, that was us :lol:

I'll restrict myself to just the one question at a time:

Can you get a 70ft boat to York from the canal system? I'm getting conflicting info about lock sizes and the possibility of a 60ft restriction on the non tidal Ouse, which seems odd when Naburn lock is 150ft long.....

Have a good weekend :lol:

Hi, I've just found this forum and it is fascinating to hear all your experiences and learn more about boating. My wife and I have taken three trips on hire boats in the last 18 months and just can't get enough time afloat! If you've seen a hire boat wobbling along with two life jacketed basket hounds recently, that was us :lol:

Can you get a 70ft boat to York from the canal system? I'm getting conflicting info about lock sizes and the possibility of a 60ft restriction on the non tidal Ouse, which seems odd when Naburn lock is 150ft long.....

You can get a 70ft boat to York but can't get through Linton lock which I think is just above York. It sounds like you know the way already but essentially it involves going all the way down the Trent to Trent Falls and then up the Yorkshire Ouse. There are quite a few websites which list maximum dimensions for waterways - I think most of them say what I have just said (possibly all of them).

Ben

Welcome Morat, I am sure that someone with local knowledge will be along shortly to answer your question. In the meantime, I am intrigued by your "basket hounds" - they sound as if they lie curled up all day.

Edited by Athy

Welcome to the forum Morat - for the dimensions on the canal and some of the river system

This reference on ABNB

Is generally very helpful.

Woops - Basset Hounds :lol: I made that post on my phone and the predictive text caught me out. They do like their baskets so it's not a bad name for them :lol:

So, Linton Locks eh? I'll check them out. Thanks very much!

Morat

Hi, I've just found this forum and it is fascinating to hear all your experiences and learn more about boating. My wife and I have taken three trips on hire boats in the last 18 months and just can't get enough time afloat! If you've seen a hire boat wobbling along with two life jacketed basket hounds recently, that was us :lol:<snip>

Yep, it all looks doable and Linton is quite a bit North of York on the river so that's not a drama. Thanks for the links!

Hi Morat. Are you planning to do this in a hire boat? I wonder if a hire company will let you do the Trent Falls and River Ouse bit

Richard

Morat,

From Naburn to Linton lock is a shade over 15 miles. There is good cheap mooring at Linton (£5 a night if I remember correctly) but you won't be able toget a boat that size beyond.

Jez

Can only really echo what others have said. Linton is a fair distance beyond York and the river is very scenic along that stretch. The moorings at Linton are very good and a night in the lock cottage is highly recommended.

To avoid having to go around Trent Falls you can come off the Trent at Keadby and cut through to Selby and then do the final stretch on the tidal Ouse. Again this is a nice run with plenty to see.

One thing to do is check the tide timings for the days you want to travel.

To avoid having to go around Trent Falls you can come off the Trent at Keadby and cut through to Selby and then do the final stretch on the tidal Ouse. Again this is a nice run with plenty to see.

The OP has a 70 foot boat, which would need 10 foot hacked off to go through Thorne.....

Well, we don't have a boat at all... yet! We've hired three times and although the 54 and the 60 were great I just loved the 70. You can draw whatever psychological conclusions you wish :lol:

I'm trying to work out how far we can get with a 70 if we buy one. The hire company we used (Clifton Cruisers) let us go on the non-tidal Thames (and took the limiter off which helped a lot) but I doubt they'd be happy about tidal water.

I think realistically a 60 would be best for us since it would mean we could do the whole of the Leeds Liverpool... but at the moment it's all a bit of a pipe dream to be honest. Heyho, we'll try and get another week or two in over the next year at least!

I believe 57ft is seen as the go anywhere sized narrowboat.

yes, I'm trying to work out what we actually miss out on by going larger. If it isn't that much I'd be happy to do boat swaps or something to reach the extra bits.

yes, I'm trying to work out what we actually miss out on by going larger. If it isn't that much I'd be happy to do boat swaps or something to reach the extra bits.

between 57ish and 62 the main thing is the Calder and Hebble, which means the Huddersfield and the Rochdale have to be done from the western end and become dead ends, above 62 the Leeds and Liverpool is out between Wigan and Leeds, and the Rufford branch. The impact of this is that you can't cross the country north of the Trent and Mersey, so if you go north on the trent you've no choice but to come south again, similar if you venture north of Manchester. You also can't get at the Lancaster Canal.

It's not so much the amount of water you can't do but the way your route options get slashed because you can't cross the pennines

Already answered, but to add, I took my 71.5 foot historic narrowboat to Nayburn Linton Lock last year. Had no problems, but I know the waterways in the area well. I tried Nayburn Linton, but it was just to short (by about 15 foot!). Rounding Trent Falls is the most annoying part, and if you have a boat with enough power I would recomend pushing the incoming tide from Keadby arriving Trent Falls at about 1 hour before high water to get up to Goole for high water. Do they Selby canal at least in one direction 'cause it's nice.

My exploits BTW have been published in the Historic Narrow Boat Owners Club newsletter (cruise up the Ouse next issue), and can be joined even without a historic boat:

http://www.hnboc.org.uk/

Cheers,

Mike

(Edited to replace Nayburn with Linton due to brainfade)

Edited by mykaskin

Already answered, but to add, I took my 71.5 foot historic narrowboat to Nayburn last year. Had no problems, but I know the waterways in the area well. I tried Nayburn, but it was just to short (by about 15 foot!). Rounding Trent Falls is the most annoying part, and if you have a boat with enough power I would recomend pushing the incoming tide from Keadby arriving Trent Falls at about 1 hour before high water to get up to Goole for high water. Do they Selby canal at least in one direction 'cause it's nice.

My exploits BTW have been published in the Historic Narrow Boat Owners Club newsletter (cruise up the Ouse next issue), and can be joined even without a historic boat:

http://www.hnboc.org.uk/

Cheers,

Mike

Naburn

Naburn is 150ft in length.

Thanks Phylis, had Naburn in my head from previous post! Altered original post now.)

It was probably a blessing in disguise that you couldnt fit in Linton Lock. Its a cow to open the gates and when you do eventually get in, the gates leak so badly that filling and emptying takes an age.

It was probably a blessing in disguise that you couldnt fit in Linton Lock. Its a cow to open the gates and when you do eventually get in, the gates leak so badly that filling and emptying takes an age.

I was actually travelling in convoy with my Dad with a 50 ft narrowboat, and we continued upto Ripon. While the gates are big, and a little heavy, they are no worse than some poorly hung gates on the GU, and I don't remember having to wait too long for it to fill, it is a deep lock remember.

Mike

I was actually travelling in convoy with my Dad with a 50 ft narrowboat, and we continued upto Ripon. While the gates are big, and a little heavy, they are no worse than some poorly hung gates on the GU, and I don't remember having to wait too long for it to fill, it is a deep lock remember.

Mike

The weight of them wasnt such a problem, they where so poorly balanced and one of the top gate beams was rubbing on the stonework making it even more difficult to get started. The rest of the locks into Ripon where not too bad IIRC.