FMC Ling

sarahavfc

Featured Posts

Hi All,

I recently purchased ex-FMC Ling from British Waterways and I'm looking to gather together some information on her history. Who crewed her, what cargos she carried, etc. I have found a couple of photos of her so far, one of her in FMC Livery and another in BW SWD Livery, but I haven't seen any photos (other than recent ones) of her as a maintenance boat.

If anyone has any information or photogrpahs they could share it would be much appreciated.

Sarah

Sarah, first of all well done in getting your fish. I don't know if it will help, but I would speak to Cliff Sherwood who was section foreman until retirement at Greensforge where Ling was based. I do know (but check with Cliff) that ling was operated from FMC days right through to quite recent by farther then son. Ike Wilson was captain of Ling in FMC days and followed her through to British Waterways and I remember him still operating Ling in the late 1960's on maintenance duties. When he retired, his son took over Ling on maintenance. If you want, PM me and I'll send you Cliff's Email and phone number if you haven't got it.

Hi All,

I recently purchased ex-FMC Ling from British Waterways and I'm looking to gather together some information on her history. Who crewed her, what cargos she carried, etc. I have found a couple of photos of her so far, one of her in FMC Livery and another in BW SWD Livery, but I haven't seen any photos (other than recent ones) of her as a maintenance boat.

If anyone has any information or photogrpahs they could share it would be much appreciated.

Sarah

Come on folks somebody must have photographed this boat at Greensforge or Stewpony over the years, help Sarah build up the recent history of this fine Fish. It never carried its name for years whilst on the Staffs and Worcs so if you have a pic of a unamed Josher lets see them.

gallery_5000_522_42867.jpg

Come on folks somebody must have photographed this boat at Greensforge or Stewpony over the years, help Sarah build up the recent history of this fine Fish. It never carried its name for years whilst on the Staffs and Worcs so if you have a pic of a unamed Josher lets see them.

Here goes...

(March 2006)I think its Autherley Junction.

Paul H

Picture003.jpg">

Picture002.jpg">

Here goes...

(March 2006)I think its Autherley Junction.

Paul H

Picture003.jpg">

Picture002.jpg">

More like Aldersley Junction with the sign post showing the way to Wolverhampton Bottom Lock, with LING pointing towards Autherley Junction (Cut End) which is another three quarters of a mile or so to the north.

Can we have some upto date pics please Sarah? :lol:

Does it have a BCN number?

The B.C.N. gauge number for LING 317 is 1834

30 November 1934

Cabin Iron Motor

Fellows, Morton & Clayton Ltd., Birmingham

71'0 x 7'0½

16.30'' draught light

50.38'' draught loaded with 32 tons

Articles On Board When Weighed "4 Beams - Rudder - Mast & Case - False Floor - Cloths Complete - Cratch - 5 Planks - 2 Stands - 3 Stays - Log - Pump - Fore Cabin - 2 Cwt Dunnage - 30 Gallons Oil - 1 Motor Eengine" - [table not subesquently altered or ammended].

Is yours the boat that was moored close to Mercia Marina, Trent side of Willington last week?

I saw a working boat in BW blue with nice lines, but didn't have time to stop and have a proper look.

Yep, that's the one! :lol:

Yep, that's the one! :lol:

* IS JEALOUS *

I like it as it is now. Are you going to 'improve' it much?

I've never understood the obsession with rebuilding things back to original. It wipes out nine tenths of the history.

Your boat is understated, but has a real story to tell. Very nice.

At the moment the plan is just to tidy her up and use her over the next few months, then get her on the dock in the winter and see what needs doing.

I probably will end up replacing the cabin, as the current one is really very naff! :lol:

At the moment the plan is just to tidy her up and use her over the next few months, then get her on the dock in the winter and see what needs doing.

I probably will end up replacing the cabin, as the current one is really very naff! :lol:

Fair enough. I just like the fact it's a bit of a 'sleeper' (a Q boat?) in that it doesn't draw attention to itself, despite being rather special.

I know those BW slides and doors are truly horrible, but please, take a load of pictures of the inside and outside of Ling before you take the plasma cutter to her. As I'm sure you are aware, you happen to be the latest custodian of Ling. Heaven only knows what people will value in the future, so having a pictorial record is, in my view, essential.

Richard

Oh, and I am deeply envious

You going to Braunston?