FMC Ling

sarahavfc

Featured Posts

• 2 years later...

I was Captain of the LING in 1959-60 including the occasion when that very nice pic was taken of her at Gas St. BW had her repainted for a Boat Show there.

I don't think Ike Wilson ever had the LING. In 1950-51, her Captain was 'Barnton Tommy' Lowe. Ike then had the ARABIA (9hp) but by the end of the summer had changed to a 15hp motor so he could have a butty. Incidentally, I wonder if Ike's daughter, Mim, is still alive. She would be in her late 70s.

She was transferred to the newly formed Midland Fleet around 1958 when her skipper was Edwards. I've mislaid his first name but it will come back! I had her after him in 1959. I carried coal from Hednesford to Worcester returning with copper or various foodstuffs. Once I took her to Gloucester for steel rails.There is a fuller account in my book FOLLOWING THE TRADE.

In her FMC days she traded between the Mersey ports and the west and east midlands, also to Stourport mainly carrying foodstuffs and metals. There is a pic somewhere of her at Broad St Wolverhampton and I have a pic of her at Tardebigge.

After the coal contract to Worcester expired LING became a maintenance boat, and I saw her few yrs ago on the Stour cut.

I will try and find my pic of LING and put it on here.

I don't think Ike Wilson ever had the LING. In 1950-51, her Captain was 'Barnton Tommy' Lowe. Ike then had the ARABIA (9hp) but by the end of the summer had changed to a 15hp motor so he could have a butty. Incidentally, I wonder if Ike's daughter, Mim, is still alive. She would be in her late 70s.

I don't know about Ike's daughter, but I did meet a lovely lady at Braunston last year called Sophie Scragg, she was brought up on Ling. She was there along with her carer, who was showing me a photograph of Sophie aboard Ling at Broad Street Depot which is in the book 'Narrow Boat Painting' by Tony Lewery.

I don't know about Ike's daughter, but I did meet a lovely lady at Braunston last year called Sophie Scragg, she was brought up on Ling. She was there along with her carer, who was showing me a photograph of Sophie aboard Ling at Broad Street Depot which is in the book 'Narrow Boat Painting' by Tony Lewery.

This one:

264244_10150227598130267_515680266_7466498_5196456_n.jpg

What a lovely connection in those two shots. Some stories to be told there, and I'll wager it was all in a days work for Sophie.

There may be value in keeping BW 'space invader' cabins as part of history, but I'm blessed if I can see any attraction in them. They were designed as a compromise I'm sure - wider gunnels and certain mandatory wash facilities etc, but soul-less and unwelcoming unless it was peeing down and the Reflex was on form.

Edit for typo.

Edited by Derek R.

• 3 weeks later...

Was going to put a photo of LING on here but the site doesn't appear to be attachment -friendly.

Tom,

You can upload to the gallery section then copy the link code and put in your posting on the forum. The size limit is around 4.5k btw.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Ling recently (end of May) at Whilton bottom lock. It was at the end of the lock restrictions and about five boats had overnighted waiting for the lock to be unlocked by (then) BW.

Just as we were about to enter the lock, along came Ling looking very smart with the new cabin - they arrived breasted up to 'Alder' and were virtually attached to the rear of 'Fazeley' which was breasted up to 'Clover'.

The four of them forced their way to the lock gates and refused to talk to anyone, just worked the lock and pretended that we were not there.

Nice to see these ex working boats in good condition - not so nice to see them maintaining the old fashioned traditions of biggest first and sod the rest.

Are they related to the ex rev on Oak and Ash? He apparantly acts the bully as well.

I saw Ling recently (end of May) at Whilton bottom lock. It was at the end of the lock restrictions and about five boats had overnighted waiting for the lock to be unlocked by (then) BW.

Just as we were about to enter the lock, along came Ling looking very smart with the new cabin - they arrived breasted up to 'Alder' and were virtually attached to the rear of 'Fazeley' which was breasted up to 'Clover'.

The four of them forced their way to the lock gates and refused to talk to anyone, just worked the lock and pretended that we were not there.

Nice to see these ex working boats in good condition - not so nice to see them maintaining the old fashioned traditions of biggest first and sod the rest.

Are they related to the ex rev on Oak and Ash? He apparantly acts the bully as well.

Dont keep attitudes and activity like this to yourself, report them to CRT so they add them to the log they keep of all incidents. I am afraid some of the historic boat crowd seem to think they above the common regards to other boaters, I witnessed this at the weekend when a certain well known narrowboat (Clinton, Nixon, Truman spring to mind) and butty overnighted on the services un attended apparently in Wolverhampton denying other users access. Despite pointing out the signs "one hour" I was told "Our captain say we are going to moor here" - Hmm

Nest day it was gone post 10AM but the gates to the yard were still open at 6.00PM .......... hmm

Edited by Laurence Hogg

• 4 months later...

I was Captain of the LING in 1959-60 including the occasion when that very nice pic was taken of her at Gas St. BW had her repainted for a Boat Show there.

She was transferred to the newly formed Midland Fleet around 1958 when her skipper was Edwards. I've mislaid his first name but it will come back! I had her after him in 1959. I carried coal from Hednesford to Worcester returning with copper or various foodstuffs. Once I took her to Gloucester for steel rails.There is a fuller account in my book FOLLOWING THE TRADE.

In her FMC days she traded between the Mersey ports and the west and east midlands, also to Stourport mainly carrying foodstuffs and metals. There is a pic somewhere of her at Broad St Wolverhampton and I have a pic of her at Tardebigge.

After the coal contract to Worcester expired LING became a maintenance boat, and I saw her few yrs ago on the Stour cut.

I will try and find my pic of LING and put it on here.

What engine was in her when you had her as the cabin looks to be longer i.e 15hp bolinder as apposed to the 9hp. I belive at this time the forecabin had been removed. Do you or anyone else know when the BW cabin was put on tho I belive she had 3 variants a shorter one then a longer one ending with the current length somewhere in the middle. I have a feeling that some cabin work would of been done around 1981 as that is when the current Lister HR2 was built of course this may of been changed from an older one. Also do you or anyone know when the GUCCC Northwich rudder was put on and why the original was taken off?

Edited by djgoode1980

What engine was in her when you had her as the cabin looks to be longer i.e 15hp bolinder as apposed to the 9hp.

Dave, in Tom's book he refers to there being a 15hp Bolinder in Ling.

Do you or anyone else know when the BW cabin was put on tho I belive she had 3 variants a shorter one then a longer one ending with the current length somewhere in the middle. I have a feeling that some cabin work would of been done around 1981 as that is when the current Lister HR2 was built of course this may of been changed from an older one.

Have you seen the postcard which is on my Facebook? That shows one of the old cabins, 70's I guess, but after the engine was replaced.

Also do you or anyone know when the GUCCC Northwich rudder was put on and why the original was taken off?

It was knackered? :-)

• Greenie 1

Was going to put a photo of LING on here but the site doesn't appear to be attachment -friendly.

Tom,

I must have missed you posting on here the first time around.

I loved the books, and, if you are still looking in from time to time, it would be good to see more contributions from you on here.

If you don't want the hassle of solving the "how do I post pictures" conundrum, I'd be happy to message you an email address you could send them to me on, and arrange getting them displayed for you.

Dave, in Tom's book he refers to there being a 15hp Bolinder in Ling.

Ah makes sence as rumour has it that the 15 in Emu was in Ling at some point

Tom,

I must have missed you posting on here the first time around.

I loved the books, and, if you are still looking in from time to time, it would be good to see more contributions from you on here.

If you don't want the hassle of solving the "how do I post pictures" conundrum, I'd be happy to message you an email address you could send them to me on, and arrange getting them displayed for you.

Alan can I do that to?

My brain just catching up New Hope > Tom Foxon?

My brain just catching up New Hope > Tom Foxon?

Yes, it has to be doesn't it! I bet Tom could tell us a few interesting stories that his books don't include.

My favourite I think is the stuff about dressing up before pub visits in the kinds of clothes the general public expected "real" boaters to be wearing, so he gets the most possible drinks bought as he tells more and more fanciful "true" boaters tales. (Well that's my paraphrasing of it, but you get the idea!).

I can't guarantee a hosting service for everybody's pictures, David, but if you have a few interesting old ones, and don't feel up to the challenge I could arrange it, I'm sure. If you have loads, I'd encourage you to learn how to do it youself, though! :lol:

Dave, I also have a copy of the Photo in Tom's book amongst many others. You need to start being nice to me... tongue.gif

I am as nice to you as everyone else

Yes, it has to be doesn't it! I bet Tom could tell us a few interesting stories that his books don't include.

My favourite I think is the stuff about dressing up before pub visits in the kinds of clothes the general public expected "real" boaters to be wearing, so he gets the most possible drinks bought as he tells more and more fanciful "true" boaters tales. (Well that's my paraphrasing of it, but you get the idea!).

I can't guarantee a hosting service for everybody's pictures, David, but if you have a few interesting old ones, and don't feel up to the challenge I could arrange it, I'm sure. If you have loads, I'd encourage you to learn how to do it youself, though! :lol:

think I might learn as im thinking pics of the old 70s/80s cabin coming off and new one going on over next few months and new engine of course :-D

think I might learn as im thinking pics of the old 70s/80s cabin coming off and new one going on over next few months and new engine of course :-D

It isn't hard, but some seem to prefer not to get involved.

AS I love old pictures, I'm happy to help out if I get to see some I might not have done.

(Any pictures of Sickle at any point in her working life at all gladly received, folks - unfortunately once working boats ended up unloved on the maintenance fleet not that many people seem to have bothered to point a camera at them....)

It isn't hard, but some seem to prefer not to get involved.

AS I love old pictures, I'm happy to help out if I get to see some I might not have done.

(Any pictures of Sickle at any point in her working life at all gladly received, folks - unfortunately once working boats ended up unloved on the maintenance fleet not that many people seem to have bothered to point a camera at them....)

Unfortuneately some of those with the proper old pics of the boats out working tend to keep them to themselves