Quick question on Battery cables.

Madmark62

Featured Posts

I have been told I need 75 mmsq cables for the battery bank/inverter connection. Is there any place that is recommended for supplying this?

thanks

Mark

I still dont seem to be able to get the search function to work right :lol: :lol:

Vehicle Wiring Products

Try any good wholesale electrical supplier, ask for triple rated cable, got mine from CES Electrical Supplies Ltd,‎ Salisbury Road, Hillingdon, Uxbridge, London, UB8 2RS, 01895 850 060‎, [an independent supplier] it cost 1/2 the price quoted by a chandlers and that was for normal thin wall auto cable.

City Electrical Factors, the national company, [1] wouldn't supply any cable in red & black, saying they were now illegal colours!!!, which for 240v wiring use is correct but for other use is still OK, in fact I'm told it has to be used for 12v systems in boats? [2] had no idea what triple rated cable was !!! [3] didn't supply auto cabling and didn't know where to get it from.

Vehicle Wiring Products

VWP seemingly don't do it, having double-checked.

Not many online places seem to go above 60mm^2, but THIS PLACE seems to.

OP, do you have a heavy-duty set of crimpers? It seems that many local non-chain garages would probably crimp several connectors on for a fiver or so, around here at least.

These people do 50mm at a sensible price: http://www.thewelderswarehouse.com/Welding/50mm_.html (you'd need some red heat-shrink sleeving for the positive)

It might be worth asking them if they can get 70mm, because their price for the 50mm is well below that of the link in post #5

Tony

The sparky who reconfigured my batteries found that buying long, heavy duty jump leads worked out a lot cheaper than buying the necessary cable.

Jump leads aren't usually as flexible, having only something like 20 strands instead of 200. Maybe your sparky found some really good ones though.

Tony

Edited by WotEver

I've used these people Battery Power Systems for a lot of our DC components, including heavy cable. Their website is crap but a phone call usually sorts out what I need. Their main market is parts for electric forklifts, lifting platforms etc. Usually better and cheaper than 'marine' kit.

This particular company only has branches in E. Kilbride and Washington (T&W), but there must be similar ones all over the country....

Jump leads aren't usually as flexible, having only something like 20 strands instead of 200. Maybe your sparky found some really good ones though.
Mine arent, there very much the same grade of cable used on our boat, which is 35mm^2 welding earth cable (no inverter). Halfords own brand.

These are the ones my dad has http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...tegoryId_165719

Which mine being basically the same (identical cable and box) but with the older all plastic handle as there dads cast off's.

Daniel

I have been told I need 75 mmsq cables for the battery bank/inverter connection. Is there any place that is recommended for supplying this?

thanks

Mark

I still dont seem to be able to get the search function to work right :lol: :lol:

http://www.asap-supplies.com/toc.php?manag...mp;group=WIRING, TERMINALS and CLIPS&sub_group=Battery_Cable_Super_Flexible&toc=disp&asap=06c6b5f3e269d0f57c972f46244090b1

I bought 70mm2 cable from here, on eBay.

One lot went astray in transit and they sent a replacement without hesitation. Quick delivery - about a couple of days IIRC. Total cost was just under £90 inc. delivery for 10m.