Setting Off

Dr Bradley

Featured Posts

Left Sowerby Bridge today, heading towards Calf Heath - I think I've got plenty of time. Seems odd to think I'll be on the move now for 6 or 7 months. Hopeful destination is the Thames.

good for you what a fab 6-7 months you must be looking forward to and now the weather seems to have finally turned happy boating

Left Sowerby Bridge today, heading towards Calf Heath - I think I've got plenty of time. Seems odd to think I'll be on the move now for 6 or 7 months. Hopeful destination is the Thames.

Wow!

fantastic news how amazing to think of a different view out of the window every morning - I am green with envy and really hope you can make it :lol:

Wow!

fantastic news how amazing to think of a different view out of the window every morning - I am green with envy and really hope you can make it :lol:

Absolutely bloody green with envy too - have a lovely time - you deserve it after your recent troubles!

Jill

Edited by wrigglefingers

Yay - happy boating Colin - keep us posted on your progress :lol:

Excellent news Dr B . . . .

And, when you get there, you can help educate them poor southerners into the delights of hot pie & mushy pea suppers - (with onions in vinegar), oven-bottom buns wi' dripping, and Timmy Taylor's & Black Sheep Ales

Above all - - have a great trip, Sir!

Thanks fot the support - sorry to make so manyh envious. :lol:

Two easy days have got me to Huddersfield. The next two days travelling, (not consecutive as I have to go to a football match on Saturday) are for a total of 8 miles _dead easy - and 41 locks.

For the first time on the canals, I lost my temper with someone today. Being windy in Brighouse, I was tied up some way from the top lock. I'd set it, gone back to the boat, set off and was approaching the lock when someone walking by shut the gate. I'd to get the boat back to tie up again, walk down to the lock, back to the boat and do it all again. I gave the pratt a sarcastic "thank you", and got a mouthful of abuse in return. At least he wasn't a boater.

Oh that was a hard day. Constantly running aground, can't get to the bank to do locks. The gear hasn't been greesed since Victoria was on the throne (apparently because people might get it on their clothes!!!!!). My knee gave in at about the 8th lock and I had to hobble through the next 13. Since it keeps giving out under weight I'm a bit dubious about jumping the 3 or 4 feet to the bank that's required - decided not to bother with the bank and climb the gates instead. Friendly couple on the following boat were a great help.

Arrived at Slaithwaite to be greeted by two other boaters saying "turn round, go back, it's awful". One was from a boat called Grumpy Old Git, who I think comes on the forum - so had a chat, very pleasant. Can't turn back of course, it's a hell of a long way round to Uppermill by any other route.

Looking forward to several more similar days, very tired now, enjoyed the challenge and will enjoy the rest of the route _ though I may never do it again, it is a must at least once.

Tomorrow is Halifax Towns big match. If we win we could be playing Whitby next season _ are you listening Chris?

The way Whitby are playing at the moment we'd probably loose less if we didn't actually turn up! :lol:

If you thought Brighouse to Slaithwaite was fun - you've even more fun further up ...

It's a great feeling, isn't it. I took a 7 month work break last year and was out from April to October. Went from Lancaster to Llangollen, Birmingham, GU to London, Thames to Oxford, Nottingham, Trent to Keadby, back over L&L and ended with 10 days in Liverpool. I loved every minute and "normal" life has seemed dull ever since! Have a great time.

Edited by rgreg

I mentioned I was going to a football match. Great day, wouldn't have missed it. We'll be playing Whitby next season.

Hope to move up to Marsden tomorrow but not booking the tunnel until Fridaay so I casn join Mac of Cygnet. Then a week at Upermill for various reasons before getting a move on to Calf Heath.

Was just about to reply to your PM, but looks like you've got it all sorted.

Going through the tunnel under your own control is an amazing experience, even if it doesn't feel like it at the time, and Uppermill is a great place to take a breather. Quite a small place, but great for a wander around with some fantastic pubs and proper butchers.

Are you headed to Calf Heath via the Peak Forest/Maccy/Harecastle? If so, I'm sure that if you contact 'DaveAndDebbie' you could have a pair of willing lock-wheelers for the Marple and Boseley flights.

Edited by Chris J W

Was just about to reply to your PM, but looks like you've got it all sorted.

Going through the tunnel under your own control is an amazing experience, even if it doesn't feel like it at the time, and Uppermill is a great place to take a breather. Quite a small place, but great for a wander around with some fantastic pubs and proper butchers.

Are you headed to Calf Heath via the Peak Forest/Maccy/Harecastle? If so, I'm sure that if you contact 'DaveAndDebbie' you could have a pair of willing lock-wheelers for the Marple and Boseley flights.

Got the right route for me. Already been in touch with Dave and Debbie. I'm spending time in Upermill because my late partner is buried there and I can me3et up with friends, so know the place quite well.

Getting help more than an odd day is difficult as my boat currently has only one berth. I expected this canal to be hard and may well be the only time I do it.

Are you based back in Whitby?

Now in Dobcross, where I met friends and enjoyed a folk night in the Conservative Club (Urgh).

Standedge tunnel, fantastic. You haven't boated till you navigate that. Two hours of utter cocentration. As for the reat of the canal, it's hard, with lack of water, no mooring bollards at locks, and no way of getting anywhere near the side on most of the canal. Having soloed both this and the Rochdale ( though I've still 24 locks to go) I'd say that as long as you have time, and no expectations of it being like the midland canals, this is not the harder of the two.

Staying here most of this week then heading for the Macclesfield.

Oh, and thanks to Mac Of Cygnet for lots of help.

The tunnel is sodding fantastic, isn't it? Did you find yourself in some very odd, awkward crouches during some of the lower bits?

And did you get that feeling that just as you were really starting to think that you'ld never see daylight again then ... WOOSH! suddenly you're back in daylight?

It's an incredible experience that I heartily recommend to all.

Now moored next to Colin (Dr Bradley) at Dobcross, after my sixth transit of Standedge. Just shaved 5 mins off my previous time through, at 1 hour 30mins, thanks to the efficiency of Fred and Michael and the rest of the crew there (It was Freds second passage through that morning!).

But the eastern half of the Huddersfield Narrow was harder than last year - more silting, more lock gate and paddle faults, and the guillotine at Slaithwaite, swathed in scaffolding, supposedly requires BW assistance - but the guy sent from many miles away, had never seen the thing, and had been told it was electric! I ended up showing him how to use it. Some lack of communication, there, I think!

Still, it's a beautiful day here in Saddleworth.

Cheers

Mac

Now moored next to Colin (Dr Bradley) at Dobcross, after my sixth transit of Standedge. Just shaved 5 mins off my previous time through, at 1 hour 30mins, thanks to the efficiency of Fred and Michael and the rest of the crew there (It was Freds second passage through that morning!).

But the eastern half of the Huddersfield Narrow was harder than last year - more silting, more lock gate and paddle faults, and the guillotine at Slaithwaite, swathed in scaffolding, supposedly requires BW assistance - but the guy sent from many miles away, had never seen the thing, and had been told it was electric! I ended up showing him how to use it. Some lack of communication, there, I think!

Still, it's a beautiful day here in Saddleworth.

Cheers

Mac

How long is the Standedge ? Are there any major outflows of water from the roof above or is it generally dry ?

Thanks,

Nick

Standedge is the longest tunnel on the canals at about three miles. I took 1hr 50 mins. It is fairly dry though there are occasional showers. It is also very tight - I had half inch clearance either side of the cabin on the narrowest parts.

Edited by Dr Bradley

6 locks to go and the Huddersfield is completed. I found the West much easier than the East, however had more help, so thanks to four friends who joined me today. Now in Staylybridge and heading for Marple, hoping to meet up with more forum members on Saturday.

For anyone contemplating the Huddersfield, I would say it as hard as any canal, but well worth it. Accept lack of water, lack of dredging, but the paddles generally work, BW staff are very helpful and the scenery and pubs can be magnificant. And Standedge tunnel is a must.

6 locks to go and the Huddersfield is completed. I found the West much easier than the East, however had more help, so thanks to four friends who joined me today. Now in Staylybridge and heading for Marple, hoping to meet up with more forum members on Saturday.

For anyone contemplating the Huddersfield, I would say it as hard as any canal, but well worth it. Accept lack of water, lack of dredging, but the paddles generally work, BW staff are very helpful and the scenery and pubs can be magnificant. And Standedge tunnel is a must.

Hi Dr B.

We're currently at the Strines if you continue through Marple on to Whaley Bridge or the basin, wave as you pass, oh I hope you don't draw too much as there's not much water left up here.

Hi Dr B.

We're currently at the Strines if you continue through Marple on to Whaley Bridge or the basin, wave as you pass, oh I hope you don't draw too much as there's not much water left up here.

I think I'm heading straight down the Macc, though I had thought of the Upper Peak because it's a smashing canal.

btw

hows the stove ??

c n L

Come on - it's only been 18 months. You can't expect me to have got round to fitting it yet. :lol: