Hull thickness

minky

Featured Posts

Hi

Want to buy our first narrowboat, limited on funds, have seen a very likely candidate. The Hull says it is 6/6/4 is this too thin? what would it cost for replating? is this what would need to be done its a 45ft boat, the layout etc is perfect though I know this is cosmentic but would cost lots to change.

Many thanks

Hi

Want to buy our first narrowboat, limited on funds, have seen a very likely candidate. The Hull says it is 6/6/4 is this too thin? what would it cost for replating? is this what would need to be done its a 45ft boat, the layout etc is perfect though I know this is cosmentic but would cost lots to change.

Many thanks

6/6/4 is a common spec for an older boat. The real question is how thick is the hull now, and you'll only find that out by having a survey done. If the hull is still 6mm thick, then it's OK and won't need overplating.

Richard

Is this a Springer by any chance?

Hi

Many thanks

Buy with confidence - but only after you have had a survey done, which will include testing the plating thickness to make sure it hasn't worn thin. Our first narrowboat was built 6/5/3, was 9 years old when we bought her in 1998, always felt solid and, as far as I know, is still afloat.

Hi

Many thanks

Many older boats were built to this thickness, it's a perfectly acceptable thickness provided that most of the metal is still there. Get a surveyor to measure it; it has to be done out of the water so it will cost you, but it will be money well spent.

Replating is an option; if the surveyor said it was needed you could probably get the sellling price knocked down to reflect this.

Edited to add: our first boat was 6mm, and still hadn't been replated when we sold her at 22 years old, although she had had some strips of angle welded along where the sides meet the bottom.

Edited by Keeping Up

Is the baseplate that is giving you concern?

6mm is thinner than the 10mm that is used on more recent hulls, but it depends on the condition of the hull.

A surveyor will be able to check the actual thickness and show if any plating is necessary.

I would say that the biggest weakness from corrosion is on the sides of the hull at the waterline,

where most boats are 6mm.

Hi

Many thanks

Not necessarily too thin nor would it necessarily need overplating, it would depend on how much steel it has lost through corrosion, many Springers were built to this specification and are fine. In order to help you it may be helpful if you could post a link to the boat you have in mind, or at least give us some details about it, manufacturer, age, engine and so on. It goes without saying that having a survey done is a good and helpful thing. Replating is a variable cost and it would be best to get the survey and then approach a welder (and we'll know of a few that could help you) to get a realistic price.

Don't get hung up on the layout to the extent of buying a substandard hull or engine. There are lots and lots of decent boats out there.

Good luck.

Jill

Edited by wrigglefingers

6/6/4 is a common spec for an older boat. The real question is how thick is the hull now, and you'll only find that out by having a survey done. If the hull is still 6mm thick, then it's OK and won't need overplating.

Richard

Is this a Springer by any chance?

Thanks All for your quick replies. :lol:

Hull Manufacturer was a John South? She was Built in 1980, Last blackened and surveyed in 2007 annodes found satisfactory, Boat Safety cert is now due.

Thanks for your help,

I know its not a good idea to get hung up in the inside. My main concerns are the Hull thickness, I have come across a couple of boats that are viable and will keep searching but Needed guidance regarding the Hull. I am not clever with the link, Its Boudica Being sold by Whilton Marina

Hull Manufacturer was a John South? She was Built in 1980, Last blackened and surveyed in 2007 annodes found satisfactory, Boat Safety cert is now due.

Get it re-surveyed both for hull thickness and for BSS compliance (the same surveyor shuold be able to do both) and then go for it.

If the surveyor finds any issues (and they almost invariably do) use these as levers to get the price reduced.

If this is the boat I've just found on the internet, she looks very nice, I particularly like the way the ceiling is done.

As with any boat purchase, get a survey done on her and follow the surveyors opinion. If you are new to boat owning, get a full survey, not just a hull one. I know that this is a significant sum compared to the price of the boat, but it could save you a lot of money.

Richard

Do you get the bottle of Jack Daniels thrown in (second picture)?

Just a small point. There are about four air fresheners in those pictures, one in the saloon, two in the kitchen and one in the bathroom. Were the previous owners smokers, or is there a smell of damp?

Richard

Edited by RLWP

If this is the boat I've just found on the internet, she looks very nice, I particularly like the way the ceiling is done.

As with any boat purchase, get a survey done on her and follow the surveyors opinion. If you are new to boat owning, get a full survey, not just a hull one. I know that this is a significant sum compared to the price of the boat, but it could save you a lot of money.

Richard

Do you get the bottle of Jack Daniels thrown in (second picture)?

Good Eyesight!!!

Thats the one, We plan on a full survey thats why I wanted the advise as I didn't want to keep paying out as you put it the significcate price.

Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for your help,

I know its not a good idea to get hung up in the inside. My main concerns are the Hull thickness, I have come across a couple of boats that are viable and will keep searching but Needed guidance regarding the Hull. I am not clever with the link, Its Boudica Being sold by Whilton Marina

:lol: 0 If its from there, check the t&c of your deposit. Its said its subject to survey....... well we're still fighting for ours

Hi

Many thanks

1. Get a full survey. I always recommend this to my customers. If it reveals something wrong, so be it.

2. Nothing wrong with 6mm plate. Most European barges of a far larger size than anything we have are built with 6mm plate. 10mm is a British obsession.

3. To overplate, or double as they sometimes say. Perhaps £4000 - ask Dave Thomas at Braunston, or Ray Bowern at Streethay for example.

Just to make a quick comment re hull thckness...........

When I bought Lionheart she was only 6 years old. Hull side thickness was 6mm at build but had pitted in places to 4.9mm whch is a hell of a lot in 6 years. This was (obviously) reflected in the price. The reason turned out to be an incorrectly fitted DC system which was causing rampant stray current corrosion. Since I bought her and sorted out the electrical problems the additional pitting has been just close to zero.

So if a hull if badly pitted, don't assume the boat is knackered and will continue at the same rate, it could be stopped.

On top of which, ultrasonic readings of plate thickness are as much down to the skill and interpretation of the user as they are to any reality of readings. In other words, they're not very good.

Edit: I just had a good look at that boat on brokerage. Even if it needed replating it wouldn't put me off completely if the price was a little bit "talkable". It's nice. Full of chatacter. For that price it's a nice boat IMHO.

Edited by Gibbo

Thanks for your help,

hi 1st one iv seen by john since i left . i was welding for john in 1980 . it was a small team just 4 at one time . john the boss .kev and mick the 2 sons and me .good old days .bob

The reason turned out to be an incorrectly fitted DC system which was causing rampant stray current corrosion. Since I bought her and sorted out the electrical problems the additional pitting has been just close to zero.

How does this occur --- was the hull used as half the circuit, as in a car, or was it something else ?

Mike.

Also agree it looks a nice boat.

It's clear the asking price has been reduced, but the old one still appears in some places.

The air freshener thing is a good point. If they were not smokers, it could be masking other problems, as Richard says.

Type of Toilet : "None" at least avoids the old pump-out versus cassette dispute, but if it's actually true, may be one of your first outlays, I guess! :lol:

(The plan shows one, but as the bathroom appears a different layout in the pictures, I guess something is wrong somewhere!).

I own a narrowboat with a John South shell and completed in 1991 by Ian Cundey of Starline Narrowboats of Upton on Severn. Mine is 10/6/4 and is a good looking boat,well constructed. I agree with all other correspondents that you should not buy without a hull survey but age is not relevant,good luck!

Type of Toilet : "None" at least avoids the old pump-out versus cassette dispute, but if it's actually true, may be one of your first outlays, I guess! :lol:

(The plan shows one, but as the bathroom appears a different layout in the pictures, I guess something is wrong somewhere!).

Photos and plan look the same to me, Alan. Apart from the fact that the wash basin has swapped places with the 'space-for-a-cassette-or-porta-potti'. See the last image before the plan.

Tony

Thanks for all the coments, there is a space on the boat where the loo should be so yes that would be a first purchase!

When we viewed the boat cant say we could smell anything unusual, but will be going again this week for a second look so will check that we are sure regarding the smell/damp/smoking etc.

Thanks for all the coments, there is a space on the boat where the loo should be so yes that would be a first purchase!

When we viewed the boat cant say we could smell anything unusual, but will be going again this week for a second look so will check that we are sure regarding the smell/damp/smoking etc.

Check by all means, it's always worth doing that. It could simply be though that the seller is one of the ones who does give a damn (and they seem to be in short supply) and who wanted to present a clean, tidy and sweet smelling boat instead of a musty, grubby, scruffy bucket that some seem to think is acceptable and will attract a buyer. :lol:

Roger

Photos and plan look the same to me, Alan. Apart from the fact that the wash basin has swapped places with the 'space-for-a-cassette-or-porta-potti'. See the last image before the plan.

Yes, it's the highlighted bit that matches my definition of "different" !

You would think that someone keen to sell their boat could at least have ensured that it came with a toilet.

Perhaps he was surprised by Chris Pink passing by as he was clandestinely trying to empty it into the cut, and managed to inadvertently drop the whole thing in as a result ?