Good Bridge To Paint Under?

Featured Posts

My sailaway has suffered somewhat from this winter weather in the three months that I've had it and needs some paint. Is there a decent bridge I can park under for a week to attend to this, not a million miles from Milton Keynes, without blocking through-traffic?

Any of the grid roads should do. I think either Groveway (H9) or Bletcham Way (H10) is big enough to cover a pair, one behind the other. Your biggest problem could be securing the boat as most of the towpath under bridges is either concrete or blocks.

Any of the grid roads should do. I think either Groveway (H9) or Bletcham Way (H10) is big enough to cover a pair, one behind the other. Your biggest problem could be securing the boat as most of the towpath under bridges is either concrete or blocks.

There is a good one about 15 minutes below Fenny Stratford lock, going towards MK. I've seen boats moored both sides there and there is enough width to pass comfortably. and there's another big bridge about a mile further on but I've never seen a boat under it...

One of those, I think it's Bletcham Way H10, definitely has soft ground on the offside that will take a couple of pins. Access by foot is possible but you can't get the car right to the bank. The towpath side is normally permanently occupied by boats but you may be able to negotiate something with them.

It's also easy enough to get a couple of pins into the towpath at my "local" bridge (Child's Way, H6) but the road isn't quite as wide and is in two separate carriageway halves, so when I painted my roof there I had to move the boat a couple of times to avoid the rain.

There's definitely no way of mooring towpath-side at the A5 bridge.

If you get stuck with not being able to knock pins or or use piling hooks under bridges, then tying up to a couple of mud weights placed on the bank should do the trick.

Just watch they don't get dragged in when a boat goes past :lol:

Edited by Liam

My sailaway has suffered somewhat from this winter weather in the three months that I've had it and needs some paint. Is there a decent bridge I can park under for a week to attend to this, not a million miles from Milton Keynes, without blocking through-traffic?

Hi,

the bridge you want is H5 Portway (i think) just above Campbell Park if you are coming from Fenny Stratford. There is piling on the tow path side so you can more easily. I painted my roof under there a couple of years ago and the best thing is you can move out from under the bridge easily when you are prepping if the weather is ok and you can park your car on the verge above the bridge. I had no hassle moored there for the week and passers by were all very friendly.

cheers,

Steve

Hi

i know it's not really local to MK, but there's a good one at Thrapston down on the Nene. it's under the A14 and even has cleats to moor to. of course you would need to licence for EA waterways and it would take probably a week to get there but if you are really stuck it could be a desperate last option.

good luck

nigel

ps there may be one or two higher up the river too.

Hi

i know it's not really local to MK, but there's a good one at Thrapston down on the Nene. it's under the A14 and even has cleats to moor to. of course you would need to licence for EA waterways and it would take probably a week to get there but if you are really stuck it could be a desperate last option.

good luck

nigel

ps there may be one or two higher up the river too.

A week taking your time?, Four days atmost. The problem with bridges are fisherman who seat there

all day and day making a mess and yelling at any boat going by.

Firesprite

Middle Levels