steel hull wooden top

Featured Posts

Evening folks,

we're going looking at a 30footer tomorrow which we've so far only seen from the towpath. The boat seems to be a steel hull with a wooden top, what are peoples thoughts on this? It's in need of doing up whch we are capable of doing, but are we just sinking our money if it's a wooden top, or will it be worth it??

(This s one of those situations where I really don't have a clue if it's an issue or not-hence why I'm asking your advise, so please, be kind... but honest!!!)

K xx

Evening folks,

we're going looking at a 30footer tomorrow which we've so far only seen from the towpath. The boat seems to be a steel hull with a wooden top, what are peoples thoughts on this? It's in need of doing up whch we are capable of doing, but are we just sinking our money if it's a wooden top, or will it be worth it??

(This s one of those situations where I really don't have a clue if it's an issue or not-hence why I'm asking your advise, so please, be kind... but honest!!!)

K xx

Hello Kate as you know I'm buiding a boat. I will be building it with a wooden top but I have along ambition and the ability to do it. you will get many opinions on here but if you have the nouse to be able to asses the intergrity of the joinery or know someone who has a timber top has many advantages. the reason they arent widely used now is more about ease of construction and an inability to do the job properly by mainy modern day builders. It has to be easier to construct something in one material. but steel has many disadvantages over a tmber top. The maintainance of a steel top has to be easier but that is where the advantages stop for me. As a result if you are thinking of making a bob or two by doing it up you may be dissapointed as most folk are apethetic and understandably so. If you intend keeping it and dont mind the maintainance, its only 30 foot long it should make a cosy boat of character and you wouldnt have just another steel tube.. :lol:

Stuart

Evening folks,

K xx

No doubt, like GRP or steel, it'll bring its down problems...

As long as you're not paying much for it, for a 30ft boat, then go for it and learn along the way.

PC

Evening folks,

K xx

:lol: Hi

If the top is sound go for it. My first narrowboat was steel hull with wood cabin, it was great. The wood breathes and is warm to live under, its mainly snobbery that makes some people slag them off.... :lol:

I love any woodentop-but thats cos thats how I make my living!

If the owner is confident about the condition of it ask him/her if minds you poking it with a small screwdriver. Look carefully around the windows , where it sits on the decks and any other joints or apertures.

Good luck!!!

Never had one and never will.

There are those obviously that love them.

Just one comment, wood and metal, expand and contract at different rates so check any and all the joints between the two.

Never had one and never will.

There are those obviously that love them.

Just one comment, wood and metal, expand and contract at different rates so check any and all the joints between the two.

:lol: Get to bed you, bloody all electric boats make a noise...... :lol:

Odd, I thought you were an atheist.

I am.

That doesn't mean I can't use his name in vain, though.

I imagine if a creator was responsible for the invention of deck caulking then he'd be credited with Sikaflex, an inferior product with a superior price tag.

Evening folks,

K xx

[/quote

Hi I have a 30ft boat with marine ply top. The ply needs replacing because the boat was sunk during the floods a few years ago. Mine has a angle iron frame for the ply which sould make it easy to replace the cabin ( I hope ) The insde of the cabin has been gutted by me so when my mate gets time we will replace all the ply. Good grade marine ply is very expensive it migth have been easier to refit it in steel as it would easier to resell, being all steel, but the ply been on there 30 odd years and if it lasts for another 30 years that will do me. If you do decide to buy the boat you are looking at you are more than welcome to take a look at my boat to see how it's been constructed ( built by Hancock and Lane 1979 ) I'm around the watford area at the moment.

ps my boat is not for sale as buying it has been the best thing I ever done.

Let us know what you decided!

I have a wooden top; I would not change it for steel, but it does need significantly more attention than steel (its outer layer is now 26 years old; WBP ply). If you enjoy messing about with boats, then this will be fine but if you don't, then you may be better with steel.

One plus about a wooden cabin: I find that lock-keepers tend to be very friendly - a bit like people responding to a Morris Minor in a car park otherwise full of modern EuroBoxes.

Something better's on the way!

It always is :lol:

Whenever I've lost out on an Ebay purchase or even when we we gazumped on a house purchase many years ago it's always turned out better in the end (better house - alternative product on Ebay for a better price etc)

Tony

Evening folks,

K xx

wooden tops should stay warmer than a steel top. you could sheeth the top in alloy or if the top is rebuilt you could use a epoxy resin coating to help stop the ply sheets from delaminating if water finds its way past the paint.