Canal/Bridge Graffiti

seaandland

Featured Posts

I believe your arguments, Dave, could also apply to garden gnomes.

Ban garden gnomes now, how dare those people impose their taste on the rest of us. Who gives them the right to decide that gnomes are what the community will have.

Aaah but surely I would only erect a garden gnome along with his mates on my own property, surely that is my right??

If I erect gnomes along the length of the North Oxford where I have no right to do so??? what's the score then??

Gomes Utd. 1 BW Rovers 0

perhaps.. :lol:

Why do most of you condone vandalism and criminal damage? and even worse make a joke of it by referring to 'tagging' and calling it art. What would your reaction be if these halfwits daubed you house or boat. It is also not a surprise that I agree with the Great Helmsman.

I photographed a graffiti'd bus under a bridge in Hackney. Two weeks later I was in the Tate Modern and bought an art magazine and there it was - same bus.

I love some of the stuff on the Lee in Hackney. My favourites being Burning Candy. I'd love a burning candy boat.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/burning_candy/

They don't just do 2d either, it's not unusual to see a 3d 'sculpture' peering out of a broken window in a derelict property.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/i_y_e_r_s/407...l-burning_candy

Edited by Lady Muck

There is a church in Widecombe Bath that always has slogans on its roof. Such as "Prepare to meet thy God" Etc.

On one side they had a slogan saying "Jesus Saves" Some one one night got onto the roof and wrote under this slogan

"Not on my pay he couldn't"

I thought it was brilliant !!

:lol:

Guest wanted
I photographed a graffiti'd bus under a bridge in Hackney. Two weeks later I was in the Tate Modern and bought an art magazine and there it was - same bus.

I love some of the stuff on the Lee in Hackney. My favourites being Burning Candy. I'd love a burning candy boat.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/burning_candy/

They don't just do 2d either, it's not unusual to see a 3d 'sculpture' peering out of a broken window in a derelict property.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/i_y_e_r_s/407...l-burning_candy

nice, check out the MUtate BriTain stuff (google)

and for those that really hate graff then this guy mught appeal......

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=3379017

Guest wanted
There is a church in Widecombe Bath that always has slogans on its roof. Such as "Prepare to meet thy God" Etc.

On one side they had a slogan saying "Jesus Saves" Some one one night got onto the roof and wrote under this slogan

"Not on my pay he couldn't"

I thought it was brilliant !!

:lol:

godlistens.jpg

Aaah but surely I would only erect a garden gnome along with his mates on my own property, surely that is my right??

If I erect gnomes along the length of the North Oxford where I have no right to do so??? what's the score then??

Gomes Utd. 1 BW Rovers 0

perhaps.. :lol:

gossipy place this, I have just had a PM telling me that Dave Mayall does indeed have gnomes in his front garden, 4 according to the message, so that's why he didn't answer my point.

What right do you have Dave, to impose your gnomes on everybody else?

And, Mr G, the point Dave was making was not about ownership of the 'canvas', it was about imposing one's taste on others.

People like Mr Bear make the rather grumpy and disingenuous mutter "you wouldn't like it on your boat", well maybe one wouldn't, although if I did have a modern slab sided cabin I would rather like the New York subway train look.

But that's a big and non-sequitous step from talking about graffiti on the canalside concrete in Birmingham.

And in my opinion the ownership of public spaces is vested in us all.

Edited by Chris Pink

Having heard various arguments I think we should be very wary of calling graffiti 'art' - in most cases rather than being an expression of artistic talent and a desire to improve the environment, it is nothing more than destructive trespass by mindless morons seeking to imitate an unwelcome American disease.

A few years back, a graffiti vandal caused serious damage to some coaches at the Great central railway in Leicestershire - one of them, a vital buffet car, had recently been meticulously restored and re-painted by staff and volunteers - including the application of scarce original varnish fix transfers. One can imagine how they all must have felt when they came in to see that the entire coach (including the windows) had been sprayed silver with garish lettering all along one side. In that particular case there was a public outcry and the police were able to identify and arrest the culprit - I do not know the outcome of the arrest, it may not even have gone to court, but I do know that the individual concerned was more mature than had been expected and that he had a family and a responsible job. The police found him because shop assistants (who had seen the photographs in the local paper) were able to provide details of someone who had bought a number of spray cans in the colours used. When the police went to his house they found American magazines showing subway trains covered in graffiti and sketches of his intended vandalism.

Like many, Graham, you make the mistake of arguing from the particular to the general.

"If someone uses a car to kill someone, all cars should be banned" has exactly the same logic.

Ban Garden Gnomes now, they are an offence against aesthetic.

and while we're on the subject...how about the proliferation of LED decoration, especially at Christmas.

In fact, let's just paint everything grey and get it over with.

Like many, Graham, you make the mistake of arguing from the particular to the general.

"If someone uses a car to kill someone, all cars should be banned" has exactly the same logic.

Ban Garden Gnomes now, they are an offence against aesthetic.

and while we're on the subject...how about the proliferation of LED decoration, especially at Christmas.

In fact, let's just paint everything grey and get it over with.

I am all for banning cars and improving public transport and I quite like grey :lol:

My point is that most graffiti is trespass - it is a crime against the custodians of the property and in the case of publicly owned property, we have elected representatives who control the decisions on how it should be managed - an individual has no right to make such a decision and act independently without appropriate permission. that is how democracy works.

How would you feel if someone came along and sprayed your boat with these vile spray cans?

Why do most of you condone vandalism and criminal damage? and even worse make a joke of it by referring to 'tagging' and calling it art. What would your reaction be if these halfwits daubed you house or boat. It is also not a surprise that I agree with the Great Helmsman.

Personally, I only condone some vandalism and criminal damage, if it's done well and can actually be called art. If someone were to scrawl their name on my boat, i.e. "tag" it, I would be upset- but I've not finished painting it anyway, so it wouldn't be too hard to fix. If Banksy were to paint my boat, I would be extremely happy (and rich), and were someone to execute a complicated piece that is interesting and could be seen as art on my boat, then I would mind a lot less; probably keep it for a bit, then remove it.

Mindless tagging is stupid and does not improve an area. Graffiti art, if done well, can.

Having heard various arguments I think we should be very wary of calling graffiti 'art' - in most cases rather than being an expression of artistic talent and a desire to improve the environment, it is nothing more than destructive trespass by mindless morons seeking to imitate an unwelcome American disease.

A few years back, a graffiti vandal caused serious damage to some coaches at the Great central railway in Leicestershire - one of them, a vital buffet car, had recently been meticulously restored and re-painted by staff and volunteers - including the application of scarce original varnish fix transfers. One can imagine how they all must have felt when they came in to see that the entire coach (including the windows) had been sprayed silver with garish lettering all along one side. In that particular case there was a public outcry and the police were able to identify and arrest the culprit - I do not know the outcome of the arrest, it may not even have gone to court, but I do know that the individual concerned was more mature than had been expected and that he had a family and a responsible job. The police found him because shop assistants (who had seen the photographs in the local paper) were able to provide details of someone who had bought a number of spray cans in the colours used. When the police went to his house they found American magazines showing subway trains covered in graffiti and sketches of his intended vandalism.

I think this is a good example to show how graffiti can be completely inappropriate in some contexts, but appropriate in others. Personally, I really liked the look of the American subway trains covered in giant murals, and I think in that context, it would be art- and would be appropriate and improving.

But, of course, in your example it isn't.

If he had chosen to brighten the grey, drab wall of a multistorey car park with a giant mural, then I would imagine that that could improve the area.

Plus, graffiti has a long tradition...

Alexamenos%20Graffiti.jpg

Edited by FadeToScarlet

How would you feel if someone came along and sprayed your boat with these vile spray cans?

I am not quite sure why you and a few others should think that because I would be upset at my boat being tagged ( a little but only a little), or even agree with you about the restored railway carriage, that such feeling invalidates my appreciation of graffiti on underpasses, concrete walls et al.

Democracy is a method of managing a society, not an exhaustive and prescriptive list of rules.

I like some graffiti.

image{0}[16].png

Not all of it is vandalism. Some of it is actually actively encouraged.

brighton-12-06-001.jpg

Tagging, on the other hand - not so keen on... although I used to like the work of Dean in and around Brighton,

dean_elk.jpg

He would put what is essentially a crude tag in odd places, one (which I Can't find) was on the side of a cattle trough up on the downs.

Not sure that "in most cases" stands true. There are local authorities who have seen that it's better to actively engage with the youth and have places for them to perform their art (which it is, when it comes to some of the incredible pieces I've seen). I am glad that some of the local authorities are forward thinking enough to encourage the creativity of people.

gossipy place this, I have just had a PM telling me that Dave Mayall does indeed have gnomes in his front garden, 4 according to the message, so that's why he didn't answer my point.

What right do you have Dave, to impose your gnomes on everybody else?

Sadly, your informant is misinformed.

To the best of my knowledge, nobody on this forum has ever actually SEEN my (gnome free) front garden.

Two people on this forum have seen me in the presence of gnomes. One of those people is the owner of the gnomes.

And, Mr G, the point Dave was making was not about ownership of the 'canvas', it was about imposing one's taste on others.

People like Mr Bear make the rather grumpy and disingenuous mutter "you wouldn't like it on your boat", well maybe one wouldn't, although if I did have a modern slab sided cabin I would rather like the New York subway train look.

But that's a big and non-sequitous step from talking about graffiti on the canalside concrete in Birmingham.

And in my opinion the ownership of public spaces is vested in us all.

perhaps I wasn't sufficiently clear.

Ownership of the canvas is a HUGE factor.

If one of these so-called graffiti artists wants to spray paint his home, or his car, then who am I to impose my tastes.

When it comes to public spaces, then yes ownership is vested in us all. That doesn't mean that anybody with a paint can is empowered to decide how it will look.

Guest wanted
Yes I agree, Golden Arches should be excepted. If you could use language, or even spell and punctuate reasonably properly :lol: Mr Wanted your case just might have more weight.

Thank you for pointing out that I have difficulty in punctuation and spelling, dyslexia is something that I have battled with all of my life. But now you have 'outed' me I can relax. I guess because of what you have said, my points are no longer valid and I should step aside so that only your opinion is heard.

My reply to you wasn't intended to offend.

Maybe you could walk around and spray wavy red lines under ARTISTS spelling mistakes?

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one eyesore to be cleaned up:

* Kidderminster Shuttle »

* News »

Art mural planned for Kidderminster canal tunnel

14canalart1_312WJPGdisplay.jpg

AN ART project will get underway next week to help rejuvenate a graffiti-covered canal tunnel in Kidderminster.

The community can get involved in the work, which is being led by Peter Barber - the artist who created a mural of music icons opposite the Boar’s Head in Worcester Street.

The canal tunnel under St Mary’s Ringway links the areas below St Mary’s Church to Weavers Wharf and is seen as a key gateway into the town.

Tracey Onslow, cabinet member for housing and environmental services said: “The canal is one of Kidderminster’s most important assets. It is a key boating and pedestrian route and should be a pleasurable way to enter the town.

“However, this tunnel has long become synonymous with anti-social behaviour and with extensive graffiti. There appears to be a strong fear of crime in the tunnel causing many people to avoid it.

“It also creates a poor first impression for visitors which, among the boating community, has lead to anecdotal evidence that the town centre is not a place to spend much time. Clearly, this is not the case and this project will help to correct this idea.”

As part of the project, Mr Barber will be running a design workshop next Tuesday from 10am to 3pm, at the Boar’s Head.

It is free to attend for anyone over the age of 13 and offers a chance to play a part in the creation of the artwork.

Volunteers who attend the workshop will then have the opportunity to work on-site next Wednesday and Thursday to complete the work.

The plans are part of the ReWyre initiative, which aims to redevelop areas of land next to the canal.

“Although there are ambitious long-term plans for canal-side areas, this project is great opportunity to take immediate action and make dramatic improvements to the environment in the short-term,” said Stephen Clee, cabinet member for planning and economic regeneration.

The project is being undertaken by Wyre Forest District Council with support from British Waterways and the Community Housing Group.

• 4 weeks later...

Might not be the Messiah - but can these guys walk on water?

Canal bank graffiti war goes on

news042210_07.jpg

The latest additions to the graffiti on the banks of Regent’s Canal

Banksy and King Robbo spat takes another twist and makes world headlines

Camden New Journal: Published: 22 April 2010

IT’S a feud unfolding in the heart of Camden Town that has caused a stir far beyond the confines of the graffiti world.

And it looks like the creative confrontation between Banksy and King Robbo on the banks of Regent’s Canal isn’t over yet.

In the tit-for-tat battle, Banksy, whose film Exit Through The Giftshop has recently had a run in cinemas. has appeared to remove the “Team Robbo” tag from his fishing boy stencil on a wall next to the canal, replacing it with the word: “I don’t believe in War” and a roller-headed flamingo.

In response, the equally elusive Robbo has hit back with a series of messages leaving little to the imagination with the fishing boy, beneath the Pirate Castle in Camden Town, now retrieving a “Vote Robbo” sign from the water.

There is also a new sign that reads: “Banksy by being in London your depriving your village of its idiot.”

Further along the canal, a message left by Banksy alludes to the Monty Python film, The Life of Brian, reading: “Banksy. He’s not the Messiah. He’s a very naughty...”

According to insiders in the graffiti world, the spat goes back to a dispute the pair had before Banksy’s notoriety had grown which left Robbo feeling slighted. While it has been widely reported – even making it into the New York Times and Wall Street Journal – keen followers of street art say it has gone far enough.

Michael Rushmore, who writes Vandalog, a blog dedicated to graffiti, said: “To me these latest pieces smack of PR. At the beginning, the argument exactly followed the graffiti code of what an artist would do. But now with Banksy in America it seems unlikely he would have travelled all the way back just for this. There has also been speculation over Robbo putting some work in a gallery, so it seems as though this could be a way of keeping his name in the Press. It’s a shame, but everyone needs to pay the bills.”

The row began shortly before Christmas, when Banksy painted over a 24-year-old Robbo mural, seen as the ultimate mark of disrespect.

But Banksy has since defended his actions, arguing that the mural had already been covered in other artists’ tags.

He said in a statement: “I didn’t paint over a ‘Robbo’ piece. I painted over a piece that said ‘mrphfgdfrhdgf.’ I find it surreal when graffiti writers get possessive over certain locations. I thought that having a casual attitude towards property ownership was an essential part of being a vandal.”