what size outboard

W+T

Featured Posts

Hi folks, trying to find a new outboard for my 26 foot cruiser.

What max size would you suggest, i will be doing a little on the tidle ribble estuary to get to the lancaster canal. But the rest just canal work.

Thanks all

wayne

What max size would you suggest, i will be doing a little on the tidle ribble estuary to get to the lancaster canal. But the rest just canal work.

Thanks all

wayne

My dad used to hve a 25ft Dawncraft which is of a similar size to your boat. He had first of all, a 20HP Johnson, followed by a 15 HP Yamaha. They were both too big for the cut, and would have easily coped with tidal stuff I would have thought. IIRC it could make about 8 or 9 MPH with the Johnson.

Edited by Guest

what you want is a nice honda 100 or a yamaha 9.9 fourstroke. anything that runs without smoking from the early eighties on will fit the bill. later stuff will have a reasonable charging circuit and electric start.

my fave is the yam, but the honda is equally as nice. later mariner fourstrokes are rebaged yams

you will most likely need a long shaft on your boat. high thrust option would be a good idea as well.

my mayland has a yam 9.9 hi thrust, it pulls like mad, is quite and economical, its reliable has a usefull 8 odd amp charging system, is easy to maintain, bits are readily available and cheapish. it was designed by an engineer not an idiot.

avoid like the plague suzuki/evinrude/johnson 9.9 fourstroke, these are designed/built by our american/canadian cousins. they were designed by an idiot. my brothers fairline has a johnson 9.9 and has been a pain in the arse from the word go. it is having a relatively good run at the moment - this cant last!!!

also avoid anything two stroke. two stroke motors should be fitted to boats that need working. 4mph on the cut does not give em anything to do, you may suffer plug fouling if you dont get your oil ratio right. you will use more fuel than a fourstroke.

hope this helps

Thanks all

wayne

I would go for a Mariner 4stroke 9.9hp clicky

Thanks all

wayne

The ideal solution might be 2 outboards? A 10HP Honda (or similar) for canals and non-tidal rivers and something a bit bigger for the Ribble?

BUT, to be realistic, compared to a heavy steel narrowboat a 10 HP outboard on your boat will probably be more than adequate for the Ribble Link.

Whatever you decide I would suggest you don't go for a 2 stroke engine!! How about a 15 HP 4 stroke engine? - you will beat all the narrowboats

and it should cope fine with lots of low speed running without oiling up the plugs.

Phil

Another factor will be whether you require a standard or long shaft outboard, dependant on the height of your transom to the water line.

For canals an older 15hp or modern 9.9hp would give you enough power range from slow manoeuvre through to 6-7mph. A boult on rudder extension will give you better handling at slow speeds.

Edit to add;

transom.jpg

Edited by MarkAdrian

Well sounds like a 4 stroke 10hp will do, but definatley 4 stroke, not much to spend realy (£500) so will have to be second hand, if i can get an elecy start that would be great, i had a 9.9 mercury which was all i need , remotes, elecy start but i sold this for some daft reason, think i thought it would not be enough for the tidal waters, didnt want to swept out to sea :lol: .

I will go on the usual auction ste and see what there is.

Thanks folks for the fast reply.

wayne :lol:

One thing to consider may be your charging requirements. The smaller outboards dont have much of an alternator output you will need some alternative charging system as well. A bigger engine would be wasted on the canals though :lol:

Well sounds like a 4 stroke 10hp will do, but definatley 4 stroke, not much to spend realy (£500) so will have to be second hand, if i can get an elecy start that would be great, i had a 9.9 mercury which was all i need , remotes, elecy start but i sold this for some daft reason, think i thought it would not be enough for the tidal waters, didnt want to swept out to sea :lol: .

I will go on the usual auction ste and see what there is.

Thanks folks for the fast reply.

wayne :lol:

You should be able to find a Honda 8 or 10 for £500, and they often have electric start. They are very good engines.

I have a friend who has a Honda 8 on a 16ft day boat and he can comfortably tow his 70ft narrow boat with it.

I would say for four strokes the best is Honda then Yamaha followed by the others who have arrived in the 4 stroke market much more recently and don't seem to have the same quality about them.