toilet

pquinn

Featured Posts

now you're being naughty :P

I sometimes wonder whether it is a requirement for a boater to be obsessed with toilets. I wonder whether anyone else knows the in's and out's of one's sanitary arragements so well!!! :D

hi ,a new question on an oldish thread about toilets.

the question was about cassettes and one of the replys was to go and look at the Domestic

website, so I did, and came across their pump out system which has its own pump so my

question is can you pump your own out into an elsan???

any thoughts

Yes, you can pump out your own tank if you have the right kit but many Elsan disposal points are marked "Not Suitable For Self Pump Out". Either they do not have particularly large drains (leading, potentially, to back fill and wet, smelly feet) or are attached to small septic tanks that cannot take the load. The result is that you may find yourself stuck with a full tank having passed the last boatyard (to save £15) and reached an unusable disposal point! You'ld have to dig a pretty big hole to take the contents of the tank then!

Judging by my experience I am not entirely sure that elsans are suitable for disposal fo cassette waste! although that may just be my incompetence :P

It depends where you are travelling - on the Thames for example you wouldn't be able to empty your pumpout manually as the elsan points are too far away for the hose without an extension, same for some of the BW ones too.

Thanks the thoughts, I think i,ll give that idea a miss,save wearing it!

Casettes are fine - just take care!!! :help:

It also depends where you are on the canal if you have a pumpout system and want to self pump out - some places have an elsan which is totally suitable. Usually people have the self pumout as back up.

Having had both I prefer bucket and chucket (casette)

Casettes are fine - just take care!!! :help: ............

Having had both I prefer bucket and chucket (casette)

I'd second that. After my Glastonbury moment at the weekend (see build blog) it does pay not to be quite so cavalier when disposing the 'stuff'. Nonetheless, having spent a really stressful time one holiday with a near over-flowing pump-out and two desperate children on board I really wouldn't go through that again. I do mine twice a week ('if it's Wednesday and Sunday - it's lav-time') and usually there are no problems. Toilet is as clean as I make it with no lingering swill or smell. Don't leave it too long between emptying as the cassette gets heavy and in a confined space is difficult to carry although the locking mechanism combined with the weight against the blade and sealing ring has always worked up to now!

Regards, Jill

Don't leave it too long between emptying as the cassette gets heavy and in a confined space is difficult to carry although the locking mechanism combined with the weight against the blade and sealing ring has always worked up to now!

Regards, Jill

I must admit that my fear, since we installed a casette one, (as opposed to a 'non-fixed' Porta Potty), is that someone will use it WHILST the cassette is away being emptied :help:

Another reason to have 2 cassettes - never take one out, without putting the other one straight in.....

And even then, if your "removing hole" is outside the bathroom, check it's not being used before attempting the swap over B)

Further Edit.....

I think Bones is right with the boaters obsession with loos. Currently if I do a "view new posts", I get 5 listed, 3 of which actually have "toilet" in the title.

Edited by alan_fincher

I must admit that my fear, since we installed a casette one, (as opposed to a 'non-fixed' Porta Potty), is that someone will use it WHILST the cassette is away being emptied.

It's been done - or so I've been told. Fortunately, as I'm always the one who gets to chuck it, I know I'll never be to blame. And I always take the precaution of suggesting a shopping trip to the OCM to avoid that little accident..... :help:

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the vacuflush/dometic 2500 cassette model (not the tank pictured). I think it's great - the best of both worlds: a ceramic bowl with remote tank like a pump out, so no smells & a removeable cassette which is easily emptied like a portapotti.

But they're not cheap and have their detractors - see another thread in the Equipment section on vacuflush toilets to get both sides of the story.

Edited by blackrose

• 2 months later...

I must admit that my fear, since we installed a casette one, (as opposed to a 'non-fixed' Porta Potty), is that someone will use it WHILST the cassette is away being emptied :angry:

Alan,

Did you have a non-fixed porta potty and then switch to casette, if so - what are the benefits of the latter over the former in a practical sense?

I must admit that my fear is that someone will use it WHILST the cassette is away being emptied

That's fine, whatever they deposit will just sit in the bowl until a cassette is re-inserted. You can't open the ‘dump’ lever if there's no cassette.

Further to comments above, the two cassette system is good, but I did have one that leaked and left a niffy blue trail across the rug (and duvet cover) on leaving ther boat.

Moral: Check before removing that there are no little bits of paper interfering with the seal, and then carry the things out horizontally, just in case.

Edited by Moley

• 5 months later...

Digging up more old threads, to feed my toilet obsession. Having got the hang of using, flushing, and confident with the idea of emptying, I can't help but wonder (in a gross fashion) how I will know when the cassette is full?

Digging up more old threads, to feed my toilet obsession. Having got the hang of using, flushing, and confident with the idea of emptying, I can't help but wonder (in a gross fashion) how I will know when the cassette is full?

Word of advice, if the trap door is wedged open by poopeedoop, assume the "full-indicator" is no longer working. :rolleyes:

(Advice offered from experience!)

I'm about to do the shopping around for our bathroom refit, and will be going for the Thetford C200.

Has anyone already done the hard work for me recently and found the best deal?

Also, I was thinking of the manual (as opposed to electric) and tank (as opposed to fresh water hook up) just for the sake of simplicity. Has anyone actually installed one of these, and found that it's simple enough to put in with these hook ups?

I'm assuming the electric one is connected to the 12V system - or am I wrong and it has it's own battery or something?

You've probably guessed that I haven't got a clue about plumbing or electrics!

neil

Edited by Hobart

Word of advice, if the trap door is wedged open by poopeedoop, assume the "full-indicator" is no longer working. :rolleyes:

There's a full indicator? Apart from the aforementioned poopeedoop, I hope... :blush:

;) Also, make sure the front lever that opens the trap is properly pushed in. I'll say no more ..... :blush: