toilet

pquinn

Featured Posts

The Thetford seems a good choice, but you have to plan where you're going to put it. The tank needs to back onto your corridor, or a wall that's unobstructed on the other side, as you cut a hatch in the wall to remove the cassette from the back.

It's also very useful that you can buy a spare cassette so you can have one in use and the other charged and ready to swop over, which means you can be a bit more flexible about when you need to find an emptying point.

Ade.

john , in paying for the boat , i wont be able to afford trousers,so that wont be a problem. thanks moley , there will be a hatch and we will be getting an extra cassette , i am just wondering how they work and the best means of disposal ie. shovel... please bear in mind we are in ireland.... no facilities/services.....paul

The cassette loo's where origanaly designed for caravans.

- where the cassette, remote or dumpthrough could be removed from outside the carvan, and carryed to cassette point for emptying.

Obvously with a boat, having a hatch 2ft underwater, or even above the waterline, is not ideal, so its usallly place inside the boat.

Daniel

how is it done in england when you don t have a convenient "point for emptying"

You should carry a spare empty cassette, then empty both at a suitable disposal point along the canal.

There are people who dig holes in farmers fields though, but I wouldnt try this in a city centre!

Obvously with a boat, having a hatch 2ft underwater, or even above the waterline, is not ideal, so its usallly place inside the boat.

Daniel

damn, I hadn't thought of that. I followed the instructions and cut out a large square panel from the hull side just last month.

why didn't somebody point that out before?

daniel, thats what i meant "against a corridor" as moley said....

Ah sorry, out posts crossed (i started typing mine, before you post yours)

- The cassete has a 2inch hole/pipe out of which the contence can be poured, then you can rinse it out, and add the required water and addertive to re-instate it.

Daniel

would i be correct? 2 cassettes ,you fill one with water and blue stuff and this flushes into the one that you empty.

are you tring to make life difficult? :):)

you have a cassette. When it is nearly full you remove it and empty it. But it is convenient to have a spare so you can empty the first one when it suits, not necessarily immediately.

No, to start with you add a pint or so of water and some of the blue stuff to both cassettes, then you use one of them in your toilet until it's looking full enough, then you remove that one and swop it for the spare one while you find some convenient location to empty the first one, which you then recharge and keep as your new spare.

Depending on which model you choose, there will either be a flush water tank within the loo itself, or it might be plumbed in to your water supply.

Are you looking at a new build?

- If so, try and get to one of the fesivals/rallys, and while your there, spend a hour or two talking to the Thetford people.

-They will be able to discuss varous options, and show you the displays.

Daniel

Are you looking at a new build?

- If so, try and get to one of the fesivals/rallys, and while your there, spend a hour or two talking to the Thetford people.

-They will be able to discuss varous options, and show you the displays.

Daniel

yes,but its getting built at the moment. base plate laid and sides going up.

....... but how does it work ?? and emptying? should i just get a shovel? how is it done in england when you don t have a convenient "point for emptying"

Whilst the normal proceedure in this country is to empty the cassette into a designated disposal point, it is perfectly feasable to empty the contents into any public foul water sewer which is accesible by lifting the cover plate. It is a good idea to also carry a largish container of water with you in order that you can rinse the cassette out a couple of times.

At one time disposal points were almost non existant on the K&A Canal and this was the only way we could dispose of the effluent, there are still a few places (if you know of them) where this can still be done with the landowner's permision.

• 6 months later...

hi ,a new question on an oldish thread about toilets.

the question was about cassettes and one of the replys was to go and look at the Domestic

website, so I did, and came across their pump out system which has its own pump so my

question is can you pump your own out into an elsan???

any thoughts

hi ,a new question on an oldish thread about toilets.

the question was about cassettes and one of the replys was to go and look at the Domestic

website, so I did, and came across their pump out system which has its own pump so my

question is can you pump your own out into an elsan???

any thoughts

Yes and no

It depends on the 'elsan' some of them are cesspit type and cannot manage that much effluent in one go.

There are usually signs stating whether 'pumpout' is allowed or not.

Every 'elsan' is different.

...came across their pump out system which has its own pump so my question is can you pump your own out into an elsan???

any thoughts

A lot of elsans have "no self-pumpout" signs. However not all do, and at the end of the day, if its all quiet, and knowones around, and your really stuck for a pumpout, i fail to see why it should be a problem.

Daniel

A lot of elsans have "no self-pumpout" signs. However not all do, and at the end of the day, if its all quiet, and knowones around, and your really stuck for a pumpout, i fail to see why it should be a problem.

Daniel

Have you ever tried to do it Dan? The main reason that BW do not allow pump outs at some disposal points is because of the design of the unit, which has a small and shallow bowl. The rush of effluent from a standard Porta Potti can often overcome the small bowl, leaving a mess to be cleared up. Try using one of these units for a pump out and you will probably end up covered in the unpleasant stuff. The units allowing Pump outs have much larger and deeper bowls to overcome this problem

Edited by David Schweizer

Have you ever tried to do it Dan?

No i havent. I have infact never even tryed to empty even the porta potti.

- I get around the toilet emptying problem by not using it, and leaving any empty upto my grandad.

The main reason that BW do not allow pump outs at some disposal points is because of the design of the unit, which has a small and shallow bowl. The rush of effluent from a standard Porta Potti can often overcome the small bowl, leaving a mess to be cleared up. Try using one of these units for a pump out and you will probably end up covered in the unpleasant stuff. The units allowing Pump outs have much larger and deeper bowls to overcome this problem

I see. Sounds fair enought i guess.

- Theres your answer then 'ayit' from somone who acctally knows! :P

Daniel