Urinal

jonk

Featured Posts

Is it OK to use a urinal emptying into the canal? Using the search I came up with a reference to one person using such a system. It would allow much longer between cassette emptying, but I am not sure of the regulations concerning discharge into the canals. Any comments?

Is it OK to use a urinal emptying into the canal? Using the search I came up with a reference to one person using such a system. It would allow much longer between cassette emptying, but I am not sure of the regulations concerning discharge into the canals. Any comments?

If you fell in

How would you like it !

:lol:

I'm pretty certain that only grey water discharge is allowed, although they won't spot if you piss in the sink!

Boat owners agree to the legally binding terms and conditions of a boat licence, including guaranteeing not to ‘discharge anything into the Waterway from the Boat except unpolluted surface water that drains naturally or water from sinks or showers, washing machines and dishwashers provided that only phosphate free detergents are used on board the Boat’. Acting in compliance with the boat safety scheme at all times, evidenced by a valid certificate, is also one of the Byelaws.

In addition, Byelaw 40 of the General Canal Byelaws provides that no person shall throw or discharge into or on to any canal material of any kind. Breach of these Byelaws is a criminal offence and a breach of general environmental legislation.

British Waterways encourages any boaters uncertain as to whether their craft is in breach of these requirements to refer to chapter nine of the boat safety scheme essential guide or make direct contact with the scheme.

I think that means its not allowed, although I wonder how many male boaters can swear they never p'd in the canal.

Back to putting nappies on ducks I fear.....

Many inland boats used to have what are politely called "sea toilets"; there's an ex-Broads cruiser from the '60s around here which has one. But I think they are officially outlawed now.

Many boats on inland waterways still have what are politely called "sea toilets". They even come as standard fit on new vessels :lol:

Much like a public swimming pool?

If you wish to bathe in other folks urine - - please go swimming in a public swimming pool, pay for the expensive services of a call-girl, or go to the French canals.

However, one shouldn't urinate in the UK canals - and I, for one, would appreciate it if you resisted the temptation.

(and it's against the reg's!)

If you wish to bathe in other folks urine - - please go swimming in a public swimming pool, pay for the expensive services of a call-girl, or go to the French canals.

However, one shouldn't urinate in the UK canals - and I, for one, would appreciate it if you resisted the temptation.

hmmm I wasn't considering getting into canal water - I don't think that they are too clean as they stand, and I can't see them getting any cleaner since there is no natural flushing except for that going through the locks (there are exceptions of course).

I just get the impression that many do use a sink, shower or bottle, perhaps I'm wrong? Looking at the regs all those would be allowed anyway as I read it? It's really idle curiosity anyway - a self pump-out is the obvious first choice :lol: OK OK!

This thread reminds me of our holidays on the broads as kids pre-sealed toilet system days.

One of my (late) sisters first catches in her little net whilst fishing at Reedham I think it was, was a human turd......

aah those were the days.

Edited by MJG

Pyrex jug.

advantages:

subtle

multipurpose

measurement is possible as is inspection and testing :lol:

sea toilets are allowed to be fitted to boats using inland waterways however I believe there is a requirement to 'seal' the sea cock valve by fitting some sort of cable tie arrangement so if it is opened it will be obvious. a bit like those wrist bands you get at festivals I guess.

and for visiting boats I think the Environment Agency have a part where the owner has to sign a declaration that the sea toilet will not be used.

Mind you, as an official at a sewage treatment works told me. "Our stuff enters the canal as 'safe to drink' BUT seagull sit on the outlet pipe and crap in it as it comes out." Then, of course there are all those nasty cattle and sheep whole also perform in it, plus agricultural runoff - lovely lot of chemicals there that would do us no good. Then there is the water from the roads, acid rain... Fair makes you not want to swim in a canal - even without the odd bloke peeing in it!

This thread reminds me of our holidays on the broads as kids pre-sealed toilet system days.

One of my (late) sisters first catches in her little net whilst fishing at Reedham I think it was, was a human turd......

aah those were the days.

The days when, after a good curry the night before, you would wake up and find you were now aground ....

Mind you, as an official at a sewage treatment works told me. "Our stuff enters the canal as 'safe to drink' BUT seagull sit on the outlet pipe and crap in it as it comes out." Then, of course there are all those nasty cattle and sheep whole also perform in it, plus agricultural runoff - lovely lot of chemicals there that would do us no good. Then there is the water from the roads, acid rain... Fair makes you not want to swim in a canal - even without the odd bloke peeing in it!

Falls into the "thin end of the wedge" argument though doesn't it

25,000 registered boats, 2,500 of them hire boats, suppose they all urinated into the canal? I think then it might matter

Unless otherwise stated I think theres nothing wrong with a Canal full of urine infact I think it would be quite healthy. where are the urologists when you need one.. :lol:

Didn't the Romans wash their clothes in urine....or was that somebody else??

Didn't the Romans wash their clothes in urine....or was that somebody else??

If you buy leather jackets abroad...especially in places like Turkey...the leather is tanned using urine...dog or pigeon t***s

I asked a local salesman once why the leather smelt more 'leathery' than elsewhere....and that was the reply..

I didn't buy one after all !!

Bob