New Marina South Oxford

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

Hello

I have heard once again that there are plans for a 250 berth Marina in the Cropredy area of the Oxford Canal.

I first heard this about two years ago and BW responded with an 'I know nowt' attitude.

Any one else heard this?

Martyn

edited as I am such a twit. I moor on the South Oxford and know very well that Cropredy is not on the 'North' Oxfrod. Doh and double Doh!

Can a title be changed?

Edited by Nightwatch1

>snipped<

edited as I am such a twit. I moor on the South Oxford and know very well that Cropredy is not on the 'North' Oxfrod. Doh and double Doh!

Can a title be changed?

I have changed the title - but I have heard nothing of the rumour . . .

It seems to have come out a parish questionaire in 2008 seeking the views of Cropredy residents on what sort of developmentw ould enhance the village. One answer was

How about a marina development. This would assure life of the village. We would use it!

and another was

Industry - what about a marina?

Two more answer related to the canal were

A ban on people setting up permanet sites while living on boats. I.e changing use of land and being connected upto electricity and BT

and

We should encourage and facilitate overnight and short stay canal tourism since this brings external money to sustain village amenities and generates little additonal car movement

So, it was one answer to one question in the Cropredy Village Plan Questionaire 2008

If you google Cropredy Marina it comes up on the second page

This hardly constitutes a firm proposal!

Thanks for that. More info than I have heard for ages.

So, as a result of a meeting the rumors start and escalate and then you get local landowners telling me that it is almost certain, in the future.

i will check out the google link.

Martyn

No Martyn it's not on the "North Oxfrod", nor even on the "South Oxfrod".

I have heard this rumour in the last few days from our mutual landlord. I would welcome it - not that I want to move moorings from Clattercote Wharf, but because there are far too many linear moorings (and in some cases breasted-up linear-moored boats) on that stretch, and a marina would accommodate at least some of them and make progress and mooring easier for visitors.

I don't know if that's where the proposed marina would be, but between the slipway and the next lock down there are lots of moored craft both sides, including (last time I was there, December) some moored two-abreast on the outside of a blind bend.

That stretch of canal is not over-provided with offline moorings: after Fenny Marina you have to go right down to Banbury where there is the (small) Sovereign Marina, so one in between would be well placed.

I don't know if that's where the proposed marina would be, but between the slipway and the next lock down there are lots of moored craft both sides, including (last time I was there, December) some moored two-abreast on the outside of a blind bend.

That stretch of canal is not over-provided with offline moorings: after Fenny Marina you have to go right down to Banbury where there is the (small) Sovereign Marina, so one in between would be well placed.

To be honest I think a full blown 250 berth near Banbury would be a better bet, but that's just my opinion.

As a rule of thumb, it takes five years at least from a serious marina proposal (i.e. landowner involvement) to it opening, the first three of which will be getting planning permission, and even that is assuming the planning authority are sympathetic. As you can see "Cropredy Fairport Marina" is a bit further off than that

I do wonder how many of the boaters you refer to would use a marina if one were provided. How many of them are on official moorings in the first place?

From Oxford to Napton is 45 miles. Just to keep up with the national average it would need 450 moorings, south of Napton Marina I doubt it has got half that, and it is the sort of canal that is likely to be way over the national average in terms of demand

No Martyn it's not on the "North Oxfrod", nor even on the "South Oxfrod".

I have heard this rumour in the last few days from our mutual landlord. I would welcome it - not that I want to move moorings from Clattercote Wharf, but because there are far too many linear moorings (and in some cases breasted-up linear-moored boats) on that stretch, and a marina would accommodate at least some of them and make progress and mooring easier for visitors.

Do you think those boats would move into a marina? you have already said you wouldn't leave your linear mooring for a marina so why do you think they would. I don't want to.

Ooooh let's hope so.

Another sterile hole in the ground would be just the thing, to put to use the worthless meadowland, that blights the Oxfordshire countryside.

Hardly sterile I think (try drinking the water and see what happens! :lol: ) but I know what you mean.

Mr. Crawler, we moor offside in an attractive farm location run by pleasant people and with reasonable facilities (car parking, water, own winding hole). Many linear moorers do not have these advantages and would doubtless jump at the chance of a pleasanter and more secluded mooring than the ones they currently occupy.

Could we please get the marina open by mid-August? Status Qup are playing the Cropredy Festival this year so there will probably be more of an influx of boats than usual!

Mr. Crawler, we moor offside in an attractive farm location run by pleasant people and with reasonable facilities (car parking, water, own winding hole). Many linear moorers do not have these advantages and would doubtless jump at the chance of a pleasanter and more secluded mooring than the ones they currently occupy.

Could we please get the marina open by mid-August? Status Qup are playing the Cropredy Festival this year so there will probably be more of an influx of boats than usual!

Yes I know your boat, so spot the new arrivals, but I think you will find that the boats double moored are quite happy with their moorings as well, I do agree that being double moored and then having boats semi permanently moored on the towing path opposite is bit of a pain on that stretch. Its good to see BW improving the edge above Cropredy lock

Yes I know your boat, so spot the new arrivals, but I think you will find that the boats double moored are quite happy with their moorings as well, I do agree that being double moored and then having boats semi permanently moored on the towing path opposite is bit of a pain on that stretch. Its good to see BW improving the edge above Cropredy lock

Aarrgghh! Big Ditchcrawler is watching me! I must apoligise, I don't remember your boat but I assume that you moor nearby. We have not been down there since December and thus are ignorant of these BW improvements; what are they doing?

Many linear moorers do not have these advantages and would doubtless jump at the chance of a pleasanter and more secluded mooring than the ones they currently occupy.

I don't understand how living on the tow path, with occasional passing traffic can be described as less secluded than having boats moored permanently either side of you, on finger pontoons.

I can't imagine many less pleasant mooring locations than in a marina.

i'd rather be moored online. in the middle of Skipton.

I don't understand how living on the tow path, with occasional passing traffic can be described as less secluded than having boats moored permanently either side of you, on finger pontoons.

Perhaps as I have never experienced staying on a towpath mooring I do not appreciate its appeal. We have moored our various boats in two marinas, at the end of our garden and on an offside farm wharf. I would assume that the average towpath mooring offers less in the way of facilities (water, sewage disposal) and carries more risk of theft from, and damage to, boats. I suppose that, just as some peeople prefer to park their car on the road rather than in a garage, some will prefer the towpath option; but the long waiting lists for some marina berths suggest that opinions are at least divided.

We found Whilton Marina rather overpowering, but appreciated the on-site facilities (excellent boat fitter, shop etc.); we thoroughly enjoyed our years at the smaller Springwood Haven Marina.

For me Carl tis a bit of swings and roundabouts, although I will say the only on-line permanent moorings I had was an EOG, and at the bottom of a lot of steps.

In the marina, we're on short finger pontoons and the view from the front deck (if we're stern in) is of a row of boats across about 80 feet of water. Most of those boats are stern in and as those are the seventy foot moorings many of them are either genuine older boats or very high quality modern trads. Behind them is a backdrop of trees filled with Mistletoe and a big open sky. It's one of the best views I've had from the front deck at any mooring.

The downside is that, in the cabin, the view either side is of a boat not very far away!

I will admit that's good carl, but not all on-lime moorings are that good, nor are all marina moorings as good as mine (I can think of considerably worse within my own marina, anyone with a view of my boat for a start :lol: )

My previous online mooring had a stone terrace and a flight of steps one side, and suburban housing the other