Cross beds

GSer

Featured Posts

What do you use as a mattress for a cross bed?

A futon perhaps?

Foam?

Or even a sprung mattress?

I prefer to sleep on a sprung matress but with the crossbed i'm planning i'm a little concerned with the weight (packing it away every day)and the seam, is it uncomfortable or is there a clever way of masking the seam?

Your thoughts are appreciated :lol:

A futon perhaps?

Foam?

I prefer to sleep on a sprung matress but with the crossbed i'm planning i'm a little concerned with the weight (packing it away every day)and the seam, is it uncomfortable or is there a clever way of masking the seam?

A cloth sack, stuffed with straw and horsehair......

or a small futon.

A futon perhaps?

Foam?

we use foam, the only time I've seen a sprung mattress on a crossbed the entire bed tilted up against the wall, so no seam, but it needed careful handling when bringing it down as it was ****ing heavy

I have been extremely surprised since we got a half way decent memory foam mattress for the boat how unbelievably comfortable it is.

We have what was a fairly expensive pocket sprung one at home, but I must admit I now prefer the boat for comfort.

I'd have thought if you need something that's in parts, the join would be less obvious in use with foam, than with sprung.

Ours is in 2 bits, 5ft x 4ft and 5ft x 2 ft, both sprung. No join so we can turn each part when SWMBO says so. We have a 2 inch memory foam on top so never feel the edge where the 2 bits meet. Just fold the small part complete with foam on top of the larger during the day.

We have a memory foam matress, from Makro, it's like sleeping on a cloud!

I was able to cut it myself with a special foam blade for my jigsaw, bought from screwfix. The join (at about 2' is not noticeable when the bed is made. The bed itself is a fold down "flap" which in the day is hooked neatly under the gunwhale, with the small part of the mattress on top of the other part to form a day sofa. It all works very well, and because it wasn't a specific boat mattress it was only £150 (from Makro)

Lee

A futon perhaps?

Foam?

Get it right or it will be absolutely livid :lol:

Coat....

Edited by nb Innisfree

You panzy you've gone soft since you went down South.

You are supposed to stuff the sack with bricks.

Bricks are fine, if you just want an uncomfortable night but, if you're proper hardcore, straw and hair will give you an uncomfortable all-over rash, through the day, too.

"Mmmm....hardcore....cloth sack full of rubble......"

Bricks are fine, if you just want an uncomfortable night but, if you're proper hardcore, straw and hair will give you an uncomfortable all-over rash, through the day, too.

"Mmmm....hardcore....cloth sack full of rubble......"

I have a lifetimes collection of nail clippings and plucked nose hair which i've been looking for a use for, so perhaps i could stuff the matress with that or would that be seen as being a bit soft?

I have a lifetimes collection of nail clippings and plucked nose hair which i've been looking for a use for, so perhaps i could stuff the matress with that or would that be seen as being a bit soft?

Not at all!

You could soften it up with some belly button fluff, though.

We have a memory foam matress, from Makro, it's like sleeping on a cloud!

I was able to cut it myself with a special foam blade for my jigsaw,Lee

Hi. This matress. When you cut it, you didn't have any trouble, it doesn't fall apart inside or anything, only it sounds like something I could do for my boatman's cabin cross bed..

We have a cross-bed on Trojan. The mattress was made by the Edwardian Bedding Co. (they advertise in the boatimags), it's sprung and it has a two thirds/ one third longitudinal split which folds up during the day. Or sometimes it does, other days we say "soddez-vous" and just scramble over it!

A futon perhaps?

Foam?

I see a lot of good reports on memory foam although I've not used it myself.

Does it get sweaty in summer compared to a conventional mattress?

I've just sent a memory mattress to the tip.

Couldn't stand it because it was nasty and clammy, year round.

Problem was that it was so expensive that I had to wait for a bedroom refit, before I could justify it's demise.

Ours is made of two small pocket sprung mattresses, one being 3'-9"and the other 2'-3" long. These are joined together (in manufacture) by a one piece memory foam top about an inch thick which is covered in the finished mattress material. In use the memory foam part acts as a "hinge" and also covers the join between the two lower parts. When folded out it resembles a one piece mattress and is very comfortable. It isn't that heavy to handle as the larger part stay put and you fold the smaller part over - to reveal the passageway for daytime use.

If you are making one out of two separate pieces its better to have any joins where your legs would be, otherwise they're uncomfortable.

Edited by david and julie

I've hear that memory foam mattresses can be a bit warm in the summer, someone I know threw hers out it made her so hot and sweaty. Bonnell springs for me - I got a local bed manufacturer to make a king size one up in two parts, 1x4ft 1 x2ft, the join is under our legs and with a thin sleeping bag on top we never notice it.

We were delighted with our nice thick memory foam mattress. It was the only wide mattress we could get into the boat and take all the way to the double bed in the bows. It was easy to carry into position because they are delivered rolled up with all the air sucked out and they gently expand once the plastic cover is cut off.

I have to say now that if you are a sweaty person at night then memory foam is not for you.

The special anti-sweat cover that they sell with it does not work and should have been a warning that the manufacturer knows of the problem.

Before the next heatwave we must cut it up a take the saggy spong to the tip.

Which means we have to find an alternative:

A thin memory foam on top of two airsprung underneath as some one suggested here?

On ply wood base or slats?

Any suggestions would be a help.

We have a cross-bed on Trojan. The mattress was made by the Edwardian Bedding Co. (they advertise in the boatimags), it's sprung and it has a two thirds/ one third longitudinal split which folds up during the day. Or sometimes it does, other days we say "soddez-vous" and just scramble over it!

Same here: Edwardian Bedding co full depth sprung mattress on a cross bed with about the same split. Fold occurs under our legs so no problem for sleeping on. The most difficult part is squeezing it down below the gunwhale as it opens out.

3 sections of foam with covers made of a cut up polycotton sheet,can be removed to wash.I dont notice the joins.I put an old longhaired synthetic hearth rug under the top 2 mattresses which catches any condensation and can be aired by hanging over the gear control rod,I prop the sections of matress up to air before packing the bedding and the middle bit away.The top bit is the cushion on the side bed.

Never quite decided if a duvet is better than blankets,currently using a duvet but I found a single fitted bottom sheet is a neat fit on the mattress and helps hold the 3 sections together.