Buying inverter from USA

Cosmic

Featured Posts

I'm looking for an inverter, and the model I'm interested in (Sinergex 1500W PSW) is around £700 in the UK but about $700 from a USA supplier. With the current exchange rate, this will be a sizeable saving.

As long as it works when it arrives, I can probably live with a (potentially) lower level of after sales support but are there any other pitfalls with buying a US model inverter? Are they made to incompatible safety standards, for example? And is the output compatible with UK equipment (frequency, connectors, etc.)?

Thanks

I'm looking for an inverter, and the model I'm interested in (Sinergex 1500W PSW) is around £700 in the UK but about $700 from a USA supplier. With the current exchange rate, this will be a sizeable saving.

As long as it works when it arrives, I can probably live with a (potentially) lower level of after sales support but are there any other pitfalls with buying a US model inverter? Are they made to incompatible safety standards, for example? And is the output compatible with UK equipment (frequency, connectors, etc.)?

Thanks

You would need to make sure it is 240volts USA gear is usually 110volts Joe

Here's a link to the site in the USA. The model I'm looking at is 12V, 240V so it should be compatible in that respect. I can't tell whether it will be 50hz or 60hz, though.

The manufacturer's website shows a picture with a very different output socket, so that may be a problem, possibly with the BSS.

I hadn't taken the tax position into account - thanks for that.

Thanks

I have the 3000 one there is a dip switch to alter the frequency 50/60I have got a normal socket on mine so they definately do make them joe

Thanks, Chris.

I've been in touch with HMRC. To find the rates of duty you need a code number. For inverters below 7.5kW, the code is 850 440 8490, and the rates are 3.3% duty (on the price including shipping) plus 17.5% VAT, on the whole price including the duty. This makes the price somewhere around £575, based on today's exchange rate of 1.62

For any other items, the phone number for HMRC is 01702 366077.

I've also read the manufacturer's details properly now, and it seems the frequency can be switched between 50 and 60hz as Jparry said.

So it seems the only potential problem is now the US-style output socket.

However, I've now found it for £650 in the UK, which probably makes it not worth the hassle.

Thanks again, everybody.

So it seems the only potential problem is now the US-style output socket.

The socket depicted is actually a Euro/Schuko hybrid socket, American and Canadian sockets are very different:

US/Canada 120v: NEMA_5-15_Outlet_120V-15A.jpg

Euro/Schuko 240v: 88010610spec.jpg

EDIT:

Oh, and the plugs used, the French/German hybrid type are rated for up to 16A, and are unpolarised meaning the plugs will go in any way round, so live could end up as neutral & vice versa:

JJA-4%20European%20plug%20cable.jpg

Edited by twocvbloke

Not sure of the link but you can ask Customs how much (I think it's the VAT) before you buy.

Yup. VAT will be added and just to make matters worse it is added using the total price including P&P charges. Also if the delivery agency say Parcel Force or similar collect the tax from you when delivered you will also be charged an admin fee of around £10 on top too.

I always amazes me that the euro/schukos are rated at 16amp compaired to our far more substantal 13a plug.

However if anyone wants one, i have about 20 back at home from just about every piece of electrical/computer ive bought in the last 10 years.

Daniel

I always amazes me that the euro/schukos are rated at 16amp compaired to our far more substantal 13a plug.

However if anyone wants one, i have about 20 back at home from just about every piece of electrical/computer ive bought in the last 10 years.

Daniel

It wouldn't surprise me if the average 13a plug here in the UK could handle much more, after all, before them, the 15a BS546 round pin plug was essentially the same, just minus a built-in fuse... :lol:

And that said, the flimsy looking US plugs are also capable of 15a@120v, so I guess our standards are just a bit more conservative... :lol:

It wouldn't surprise me if the average 13a plug here in the UK could handle much more....

Ive seen one take most of 30amps for a fairly prolonged time.

- Nail in place of the fuse and wire a 32amp ceeform onto it and see how many parcans it will light before the MCB trips!

I have always understood that it is far easier to design a plug with round pins to carry a high current than one with square or oblong pins.

If you actually compare the design of old British round pin plugs and sockets to their 13 amp square pin replacement, you will generally find that the actual area of metal to metal contact is much higher, so there is less liklihood of large currents being passed through quite a small area, and an overheat resulting.

I have always believed our "square" pin plugs to be considered to be a poor piece of design.

(But I seem to remember we have been here before, and others have disagreed strongly with that view! :lol: )

I have always believed our "square" pin plugs to be considered to be a poor piece of design.

Our much derided 13amp plug could be oh so different! This (IMO) is a brilliant piece of design. Don't know who the designer is, but she deserves a plug :lol:

Ive seen one take most of 30amps for a fairly prolonged time.

- Nail in place of the fuse and wire a 32amp ceeform onto it and see how many parcans it will light before the MCB trips!

Whassa Ceeform? :lol:

I had a couple of Par cans for a while, they used 100W halogens, they were briiiiight!!! :lol:

Our much derided 13amp plug could be oh so different! This (IMO) is a brilliant piece of design. Don't know who the designer is, but she deserves a plug :lol:

Yeah - we've seen that before. http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...hl=folding+plug

Whassa Ceeform? :lol:

One of these.

ceeform16230_1.jpg

You've seen them before, just never knew their name :lol:

I can broadly clarify re import costs..

Customs charges will be

Cost of goods

cost of freight / post / couier

Duty (@ 3 to 4%)

sub total and then vat at the current prevailing rate (17.5%)

then you will have to pay the carrier an entry fee and also a fee for payingthe duty/vat in advance for you and they will either want yr credit card or cash od delivery.. post office charge 15.00 quid from memory.. freight agents often much more...

so suggest a review the value in the saving on the bargin might be a good idea.

Thanks

You could take the family over to the USA for a summer break. And bring the inverter back in your bags.

I brought my Prosine 1800i for $560 ( instead of £760 here) in 01. No problem with bring it back alow

we had wait a fortnight before we were able to fly back, Thanks to Mr Beardie hiding in his cave.

Firesprite

Middle Levels

Hi...

Please excuse my simple understanding...which may or may not be right...re USA plugs having skinny pins...

As I understand it....( and I may miss understand it....often in fact)...the different currect ratings for the plugs are not easy to equate...

(Bob stops a second and is not sure he is making sense..??!!)

THe lower the voltage standard...the higher the current demand...based on amps x volts = watts.

In other words....if you had a hypothetical heater that is 1000 watt....and its designed to run on 120 volts it will draw 1000 divided by 120 = 8 amps.

If you have the same unit....1000 watts ...designed to run on 240 volts...it will be drawing 1000 divided by 240 = 4.16 amps......

Thus...under my understanding...although the USA pins look skinny...they must be capable of taking twice the current demand of the UK

Hi...

Please excuse my simple understanding...which may or may not be right...re USA plugs having skinny pins...

As I understand it....( and I may miss understand it....often in fact)...the different currect ratings for the plugs are not easy to equate...

(Bob stops a second and is not sure he is making sense..??!!)

THe lower the voltage standard...the higher the current demand...based on amps x volts = watts.

In other words....if you had a hypothetical heater that is 1000 watt....and its designed to run on 120 volts it will draw 1000 divided by 120 = 8 amps.

If you have the same unit....1000 watts ...designed to run on 240 volts...it will be drawing 1000 divided by 240 = 4.16 amps......

Thus...under my understanding...although the USA pins look skinny...they must be capable of taking twice the current demand of the UK

The standard household US type plugs & sockets, the NEMA 1-15 and 5-15, are rated for 15 Amps at 125V, so yes, for what is essentially a skinny blade (some are folded brass strips!!), they can pack a punch with their amps, but that is at a lower voltage. As we use a higher voltage, we use less amps, so technically, we have more power that can be delivered, if you put 15 amps at 250 volts through a US plug, you'd probably melt it!!! :lol:

I have a pretty good example of the amps & volts differences, I have a Vacuum cleaner here (known as a Sanitaire), it uses a nominal 3.5 amps at 240v, and a friend over in the states has the same vacuum, same motor, but wound for 120v, and it uses 7 amps, they are the same in performance, but one uses more amps... :lol: