BCN Marathon Challenge 2010.......

stort_mark

Featured Posts

I'm sure Team Black Beauty will be up for the challenge. Though without the Magpies we may need extra crew. I will whip the lock crew a bit harder this year and forbid stopping before midnight. Who needs cooked breakfasts, roast dinners and wine/beer on a bank holiday weekend anyway???

we probably need to sort out banter venue... Team CWDF, ave you suggestions? A decent pint of Landlord would be in order after such an arduous day.

(please don't relegate this bit to the pub)

It must be said that the pub at the basin in Walsall had a bit of a shock, as the crews of the few boats that did actually finish there (without wimping out) drank the pub out of beer in short order.

And yes, Mark is right, that was the first pub I let my crew visit since the start. I'm taking breadfruit plants along this time.

Richard

And there was a chip shop as demonstrated by BlackBeauty, but I couldn't tell you where in Walsall it was because after five miles of route march I got lost...

Current CWDF expressions of interest for team Sudan (from Smelly's FB) are: Fuzzy, Denboy, Alex, Ange and Daniel luckily Kathleen will be behind us to hold the overflow otherwise we'll have nowhere to put them!

BTW, I'll be team Sudan's chief cook.

Did I see a date specified in the magazine??

29th/30th May it is : "Boundary Post" magazine has just dropped through the letterbox this morning.

Entry Forms from Roy Kenn 01922 428644 or (it says) BCNS Website (although I can't see the 2010 date on the Events page yet)

I'm sure Team Black Beauty will be up for the challenge. Though without the Magpies we may need extra crew. I will whip the lock crew a bit harder this year and forbid stopping before midnight. Who needs cooked breakfasts, roast dinners and wine/beer on a bank holiday weekend anyway???

A hard worked and hungry crew......... That's who :lol:

:lol:

Last year, there were about ten people looking for a ride. I recall that there was a shortage of crew on the day. I think Tawny Owl was one of the few that was fully crewed.

I know that the BCNS people enjoyed the event but several said (at Titford Rally) that it was hard work and could have done with more volunteers.

We offered our crewing services last year but sadly didn't get taken up. We ended up walking there!

So if anyone is looking for 2 crew members for this year's challenge......we're up for it!

Sounds a good idea, what we need is a fool with a big boat...

Oh. I resemble that remark! I'm checking out returning crew and seeing what spaces I have.

Until I know, here are a few tasters from last year.

This is the contents of the blue keepnet in Andrews pictures

BCNChallenge034.jpg

This is what the crew were doing while I cut the keepnet off the prop

BCNChallenge022.jpg

And here are the crew at Walsall moments before running off to drink the pub dry

BCNChallenge035.jpg

Richard

Sue is speaking to Roy Kenn as I post!

We offered our crewing services last year but sadly didn't get taken up. We ended up walking there!

So if anyone is looking for 2 crew members for this year's challenge......we're up for it!

I'll provide a reference: they did us proud going up the Delph last summer.

MP.

.....More seriously, that seems like three confirmed CWDF boats:

Tawny Owl, Sudan and Team Black Beauty (not sure which boat...The Cat or Odana?)

Looking up through the posts it seems that there are still a few spaces available. Each boat has its own features...red wine and girls on Team Black Beauty; bowhauling for several hors and a full English on Tawny Owl.

Probably worth contacting each of the skippers directly for space.

Any more boats or are you all chicken?

And......should there be some specific CWDF contest as part of the challenge??

I'll certainly be up for it, I'm not sure if Cobbett will be finished by then, and if she is, John and Phil's paint will still be drying so probably not a good idea! I can crew and so can the Ginger Pig so count me in somewhere! Dab hand with the bottle opener and can also cook under stressful situations too :lol:

Would you like to volunteer to cook on a wrg work camp?

Sue

.....More seriously, that seems like three confirmed CWDF boats:

Tawny Owl, Sudan and Team Black Beauty (not sure which boat...The Cat or Odana?)

Looking up through the posts it seems that there are still a few spaces available. Each boat has its own features...red wine and girls on Team Black Beauty; bowhauling for several hors and a full English on Tawny Owl.

Probably worth contacting each of the skippers directly for space.

Any more boats or are you all chicken?

And......should there be some specific CWDF contest as part of the challenge??

Team Black beauty will be on NB Black Beauty skippered by forum member NB Black Beauty!

Stortmark: .....More seriously, that seems like three confirmed CWDF boats:

Team Black beauty will be on NB Black Beauty skippered by forum member NB Black Beauty!

Thankyou Bagpuss for that clarification! Forum member Odana will be crewing Black Beauty, skippered by forum member Black Beauty, as boat Odana will still be in Yorkshire by then. We may have an extra Hockley Port crewmate, otherwise will be looking for victims. Full catering provided, and unlike Cap'n Tawny Owl we don't make you bowhaul while John does the weedhatch. We're soft like that.

3 additional CWDF boats - Sudan (Bagpuss & Smelly & kittens), The Cat Who Walks By Himself (Nine of Hearts and other denominations of Hearts) and Team Tawny Owl (all remaining forumites plus cat'o'ninr tails on board). Any more...?

Stortmark: .....More seriously, that seems like three confirmed CWDF boats:

Thankyou Bagpuss for that clarification! Forum member Odana will be crewing Black Beauty, skippered by forum member Black Beauty, as boat Odana will still be in Yorkshire by then. We may have an extra Hockley Port crewmate, otherwise will be looking for victims. Full catering provided, and unlike Cap'n Tawny Owl we don't make you bowhaul while John does the weedhatch. We're soft like that.

3 additional CWDF boats - Sudan (Bagpuss & Smelly & kittens), The Cat Who Walks By Himself (Nine of Hearts and other denominations of Hearts) and Team Tawny Owl (all remaining forumites plus cat'o'ninr tails on board). Any more...?

Team Black Beauty do an excellent cheese sandwich too.

So

Black Beauty

Sudan

Tawny Owl

The Cat that Walks By Himself

Any more?

Richard

Team Black Beauty do an excellent cheese sandwich too.

So

Black Beauty

Sudan

Tawny Owl

The Cat that Walks By Himself

Any more?

Richard

Well, if Cobbett's fit we''l be there, but it'll be her second trip out (first will be to the shot blaster) and the first after painting (can't imagine John and Phil would be too happy but shhh! we won't tell them!) if not, we'll need someone needing a crew and we'll be three as I've got a mate who'd like to do it too. Anyone need crew if Cobbett's still in the paint dock?

Jill

Would you like to volunteer to cook on a wrg work camp?

Sue

Yes. Sue, happy to cook for WRG anytime, get in touch .... Mass catering for the workers a speciality! If I can feed 89 starving teenagers on camp I can probably cook for a WRG camp - so much more civilised!

Edited by wrigglefingers