Boat Barbecue

kiki

Featured Posts

Is there a special term for the type of barbecue that you can hang over the side of a boat - thinking of the MB and our anniversary. We always barbecue when we are out cruising but spend our lives dodging cyclists, despite my attempts to stab them in the leg with the barbecue fork, or stick the tongs in their spokes.

Can anyone help....oh by the way this is not an anti cyclist thread, :lol:

Is there a special term for the type of barbecue that you can hang over the side of a boat - thinking of the MB and our anniversary. We always barbecue when we are out cruising but spend our lives dodging cyclists, despite my attempts to stab them in the leg with the barbecue fork, or stick the tongs in their spokes.

Sounds like it to me. and the special term for a barbecue hanging over the side of the boat would be " a disaster waiting to happen"... :lol:

Sounds like it to me. and the special term for a barbecue hanging over the side of the boat would be " a disaster waiting to happen"... :lol:

Not ME hanging over the side of the boat :lol: I know they use them on yachts , you sort of clip it to the side so that the coals are like over the water - wonder if there is such a thing for a NB

Not ME hanging over the side of the boat :lol: I know they use them on yachts , you sort of clip it to the side so that the coals are like over the water - wonder if there is such a thing for a NB

Glad you took it the way it was meant, I,d have loved to have known the answer but had to resort to a cheap joke. hope you find out... :lol:

Disaster dont bother :lol:

Spits fat over every single surface within a 10m radius, then attempts to set fire to the boat

(And no it wasnt our boat either :lol: )

You stick your tongue in the spokes?

Disaster dont bother :lol:

Spits fat over every single surface within a 10m radius, then attempts to set fire to the boat

(And no it wasnt our boat either :lol: )

Wow thanks for the input P - if thats the case I won't bother. They are pretty pricy anyhow, did find some for like nearly £200 - the Much Beloved could make one out of duct tape and an old petrol can for about 20p.

I think I will think this thing through (hows that for alliteration) a bit more.

So now all I have to do is practice saying "yes constable, I did put a red hot coal down the silly cycle shorts of this passing pratt who sprayed mud on my food, rang his bell at me and made me spill my drink " - think I might have a case there.

Wow thanks for the input P - if thats the case I won't bother. They are pretty pricy anyhow, did find some for like nearly £200 - the Much Beloved could make one out of duct tape and an old petrol can for about 20p.

I think I will think this thing through (hows that for alliteration) a bit more.

So now all I have to do is practice saying "yes constable, I did put a red hot coal down the silly cycle shorts of this passing pratt who sprayed mud on my food, rang his bell at me and made me spill my drink " - think I might have a case there.

Find a quieter mooring spot :lol:

Am now looking for the "delete thread" button - it was so easy I am embarrased - its called a......boat barbecue (duh)

There isn't a "Delete Thread" button. Only mods can do that and we are going to let you suffer. :lol:

Nick

dirty boy... :lol:

Who sir? Me sir?

Seriously though, I'd think twice about having as hot as a bbq either near my paint work or near my grp boat. Do they come with asbestos mats to put down first to prevent any scorching?

Edited because it's nearly Christmas

Edited by Matthew Knowles

We seen the effects of one of those in Gran Canaria, only for the crew jumping overboard they would have been on the menu! :lol:

If you're still interested you can get one here:

clicky

Brilliant Carl!

Thanks for posting!

That 25 mm clamp will go straight on my bike handlebars, and allow me to fit this useful accessory whenever it's needed.

Now whenever I cycle a tricky towpath, part blocked by inconsiderate diners, the presence of a tray of hot glowing charcoal on the front should enable me to forge my way through, unimpeded by their hopeless lunges with barbecue forks!

We've got a Cobb oven, though, because I don't like the idea of an open barbecue, next to a wooden boat and it is great for smoked fish.

We also have a Cobb and extensive set of accessories - rarely used, as I have found whenever I take it on board it rains all week!

In the unlikely event we suffer a drought, this year, I'll take it out of the bag to put matters right... :lol:

gardencoaster

I should have got a photo, but one of our liveaboards up here on the Lancaster had a BBQ that hung on the side of his boat when not in use that looked like a giant black spider. Body was half a gas bottle as I recall, and the legs were made from bent rebar. Had extra decoration and "texture" applied with a welding rod. In use it was turned the other way up and due to the bends of the legs they held it well off the ground whichever way up it was. Think he got if from a local traveller guy who made them in the back of the van he lived in.

Cheers,

Andy

Brilliant Carl!

Thanks for posting!

That 25 mm clamp will go straight on my bike handlebars, and allow me to fit this useful accessory whenever it's needed.

Now whenever I cycle a tricky towpath, part blocked by inconsiderate diners, the presence of a tray of hot glowing charcoal on the front should enable me to forge my way through, unimpeded by their hopeless lunges with barbecue forks!

Please post where & when you're next cycle trip is planned! What a laugh :lol::lol::lol:

If you're still interested you can get one here:

clicky

and they do mega expensive ones too.

We've got a Cobb oven, though, because I don't like the idea of an open barbecue, next to a wooden boat and it is great for smoked fish.

I know a few boaters who have Cobb's and they swear by them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nauticalia-3095-St...9038&sr=8-1

Edit because I couldn't make the clicky work

Edited by ditchcrawler

Have you considered one of these? I'm sure it would look just the job drifting along the Peak Forest between Ashton and Hyde.

bbq_donut.jpg

I think you haved to be licenced as a Continuous Cooker though.

Ugh, that looks like it was donated by Easyjet.

Thanks to all for your input. I have come to the conclusion that:

The cheap one at c£29.99 is not going to work for reasons of flying sparks, looking a bit flimsy (the MB eats really big steaks) and the fact that it holds only one of those useless little disposable barbecues that never get enough heat on them to cook more than a burger.

The big all singing all dancing one that is fit for the space shuttle also costs around £200

So thanks for helping me make up my mind to sack off the whole idea, stick to the little barbecue that we use now, arm myself with a sharp fork and go for it.

The cheap one at c£29.99 is not going to work for reasons of flying sparks, looking a bit flimsy (the MB eats really big steaks) and the fact that it holds only one of those useless little disposable barbecues that never get enough heat on them to cook more than a burger.

Morrisons used to/still do a really good disposable BBQ. We have managed to cook for 4 on one with plenty of heat left. They had a picture of a silly looking chef on the front IIRC.

We used these disposable ones and a stainless steel BBQ stand (avaliable from most camping type shops) to great effect last year.