cratch cover & board

Rebsy

Featured Posts

Hello,

I wondered if anyone could help.. Currently moored on the Southern Grand Union and looking for someone to build me a cratch cover and board (really fed of muddy shoes / snowy shoes being brought inside the boat.

However, I would like the crach cover and board to be folded down or removed completely if required (easily).

I guess that I may not be able to have the 'usual' crach board and cover style, but wondered if anyone has something similar, knows of something??

Many thanks..

Hello,

I wondered if anyone could help.. Currently moored on the Southern Grand Union and looking for someone to build me a cratch cover and board (really fed of muddy shoes / snowy shoes being brought inside the boat.

However, I would like the crach cover and board to be folded down or removed completely if required (easily).

I guess that I may not be able to have the 'usual' crach board and cover style, but wondered if anyone has something similar, knows of something??

Many thanks..

Hi

Two years ago we met a couple around Hemel Hempstead who made cratch covers.

They had all the equipment to make them on their boat.

I am sure some one on here will know them.

Alex

Hi

Two years ago we met a couple around Hemel Hempstead who made cratch covers.

They had all the equipment to make them on their boat.

I am sure some one on here will know them.

Alex

Could it be the couple that went to Ireland ?

I encountered them recently when I was looking and they aren't doing mainland stuff at the moment if its them...

Nick

Hello,

Many thanks..

One of the canal magazines (Waterways World?) did an article on DIY cratch boards towards the end of last year - October/November perhaps. IIRC that included removable boards. It showed you how to work out the profiles for fitting it to the boat and had thoughts on glazing together with some drawings to show the joints. Perhaps you could find that to help you to get a board made?

Richard

There's been a couple of boats around the area in 2009 making covers.

One was last seen heading south from Marsworth in early December. Might be able to locate their details if you're interested.

One was last seen heading south from Marsworth in early December. Might be able to locate their details if you're interested.

I don't know if they are the ones you are talking about, but two boats have been (presumably) continually cruising in the area for a while, the smaller of which is badged something like "the little green sewing boat", and is a floating workshop with heavy duty sewing machines visible inside. I'm sure they advertise cover repairs, and I assume they might make covers from scratch.

Can't remember the name of their main boat, (blue I think), but they were at Cow Roast not that long back.

Covering the lower Grand Union there is a company out Aylesbury way that make fitted covers called Sparks Marine Trimmers. They made me a basic tonneau cover for the front, and it's been fine, but I don't know about more detailed work, other than they have done a fair bit in the area.

Can't help much with cratch board, other than I have seen good ones claimed to cost only around £300 to £400, but equally have seen an appalling example for which over £1000 had been charged. You really do need to see a sample of someone's work, before engaging them, I'd strongly suggest.

The boat is called GP Cargo, Pete and Glenda. Was with them a couple of days ago, the were heading for Apsley, near Hemel. Drop me a PM with your number and I can pass it on. Pete's hands are not so good at the mo, he's in his seventies and the cold plays havoc, so I'm not sure they are taking on full cover work at the mo, but I can ask.

Jas

ITA

Hi

Sea Otter do an aluminium folding cratch frame, you undo 2 wing nuts at the front & the whole 'triangle & top plank' hinge up / back & lay flat onto the roof. Not traditional but good if you want flexibility. They will make one for you to fit & paint yourself, works out cheaper. :lol:

Mark.

Thank you for your replies.. I am always impressed on the level of help that I get when I have a question.. I feel I can almost ask anything!

I have sent a couple of PM.. but was wondering about Sea Otter.. are they the boat builders?

Many thanks, and hope you are all keeping warm.

In the league of bad narrowboat builder websites seaotter are near the top.

It has sound ffs. The most irritating raindrop sound on continual loop with a gap.

gah!

There are so many other things wrong with it I can't list them all.

If you're reading this people from seaotter I will renovate your website in exchange for a cratch board :lol:

In the league of bad narrowboat builder websites seaotter are near the top.

It has sound ffs. The most irritating raindrop sound on continual loop with a gap.

gah!

There are so many other things wrong with it I can't list them all.

If you're reading this people from seaotter I will renovate your website in exchange for a cratch board :lol:

Good grief..... :lol:

That is shocking. bad sound, and bad visuals all rolled into one. Raindrops.... ?? :lol: :lol:

One of the canal magazines (Waterways World?) did an article on DIY cratch boards towards the end of last year - October/November perhaps. IIRC that included removable boards. It showed you how to work out the profiles for fitting it to the boat and had thoughts on glazing together with some drawings to show the joints. Perhaps you could find that to help you to get a board made?

Richard

That was waterways world.

You could try KEDIAN he is a member of the forum and does all sorts of things includin cratch things. Kedian engineering.

Thank you for your replies.. I am always impressed on the level of help that I get when I have a question.. I feel I can almost ask anything!

I have sent a couple of PM.. but was wondering about Sea Otter.. are they the boat builders?

Yes they are the boat builders - SEA OTTER

Just switch off the sound ! . Ask to speak to Anthony or Paul, they should be able to help.

Cratch images HERE....

Good luck,

Mark.

Edited by wirren

The Canvas Man has some interesting designs and options.

I am placing an order with him and have heard only positives from those who have used him.

Would be very interested in how this works out if you go ahead. Could you post results & pics if poss. Thanks