Trad stern seating?

Davo_Willow

Featured Posts

You should have taken a picture, you'll never see that again. Unless he calls his new boat Phylis May of course.

Yes, quite!

As he said, after virtually travelling all over the world on Phyllis May, through all kinds of dangerous circumstances, she should perish at her moorings!!!!!!!!

Two 'l's in that Phyllis I think!

New boat is Phyllis May II apparently.....

newsex18.jpg

Let's hope he covers just as many nautical miles in Phyllis May II :lol:

These dangerous practices also occur on cruiser stern boats. Tawny Owl's morse lever is conveniently placed to be operated with my left leg, which is what I usually do.

Richard

It does confuse people when the engine speed apparently changes all by itself.

Not half as much as when our Lab used to nudge the morse lever on our cruiser stern with his head. Must have been his way of saying "slow down, I need to pee" :lol:

Padded seats i have seen and as long as there secure i would suggest fairly safe and well as no doubt more comfortable.

Ive also noticed a lot of the canaltime boats now have a line on the stern marking the arc of the tiller

dscn6710small.jpg

Daniel

Your photo also captures Roger Fuller, or, his son, at the helm of their butty Ilford. I've seen both Roger and his son cruise past us on the Staffs & Worcs canal whereby, both of them looked absolutey relaxed, stood up and positioned (as suggested) just inside of the rear doors.

Mike

OK - So now I know seats for steering are a BAD idea on a trad, and I have lots of posts now to back me up when I tell her no!

Thanks for all the advice, we will stand in the hatch and sit on the roof when we must.

Now waiting for the ice to melt to practice ....

Davo

Davo,

you need to be firm with your missus! No one tells me how to wash the dishes or hoover the stairs! :lol:

Mike (anyone know of a good solicitor)

I am sure that anyone reading this thread must now be convinced of the dangers and will understand that 'seats' within the arc of the tiller should not be used when the prop is turning. Nevertheless, I cannot help thinking that some boat builders do themselves a great deal of harm and probably lend themselves to potential litigation by fitting them.

I always wince when I see those massively designed cast tractor seats mounted on poles rising from points behind the tiller or those horrible wooden boards mounted each mounted on a pair of poles.

What can they be thinking when they fit these lethal monstrosities?

I am sure that anyone reading this thread must now be convinced of the dangers and will understand that 'seats' within the arc of the tiller should not be used when the prop is turning. Nevertheless, I cannot help thinking that some boat builders do themselves a great deal of harm and probably lend themselves to potential litigation by fitting them.

I always wince when I see those massively designed cast tractor seats mounted on poles rising from points behind the tiller or those horrible wooden boards mounted each mounted on a pair of poles.

I guess they think it will be a nice place to sit when they are going along. It is a bit dramatic to call them lethal but I know what you mean.

In fact folk have said much about such things on a trad back boat but really it is about standing within the arc of the tiller and that is true on all kinds of boat designs. As Salty says the only instances I can think of people falling and being injured or killed is on cruiser sterns. Also if you stand within the arc of the tiller you could be knocked off with or without these seats.

Personally I don't like them and wouldn't have them on my boat. I stand in the hatch most of the time or if I want to sit down I sit on the roof or on occasions I have had a small stool to sit on but still within the hatch.

Like many things, the seats - in themselves - aren't lethal but potentially lethal depending how and when they are used. It's the animate bit we need to be concerned about, not the inanimate bit. As to 'monstrosities' (Prince Charles would probably call them 'carbuncles', though if they were made of antique tractor seats I suspect he might approve), surely that's a matter of good or bad design, unless anything other than an open counter is considered a monstrosity?

Edit. Actually the more I think about the idea of the engine stop, whilst agreeing it's possibly a bit overkill, I've found a couple of other reasons. if you go overboard and the engine is then stopped, your boat isn't going to go very far before coming to a halt, also if you are on the back on your own then the engine stopping will alert anyone else on board that there is a problem.

Being single handed I am interested in this now but is there anything that is likely to work with an engine stop button that has to pushed in?

Like many things, the seats - in themselves - aren't lethal but potentially lethal depending how and when they are used. It's the animate bit we need to be concerned about, not the inanimate bit. As to 'monstrosities' (Prince Charles would probably call them 'carbuncles', though if they were made of antique tractor seats I suspect he might approve), surely that's a matter of good or bad design, unless anything other than an open counter is considered a monstrosity?

Quite right! I should have said potentially lethal!

Being single handed I am interested in this now but is there anything that is likely to work with an engine stop button that has to pushed in?

Yes, an additional engine stop button that has to be 'pulled out', wired in parallel to the original button. In this way, either button will stop the engine!

Mike

Edited by Doorman

Yes. The usual "kill cord" operates a toggle switch, which could be wired to apply or remove current, depending on which way round your stop solenoid works.

Iain

In answer to the OP, we have a seating arrangement on our boat which we find perfect for us.

They can be installed and removed within minutes, painted to match your boat colours and D.I.Y fitted. I will say I have no connection with the person that makes them other than the fact I bought a couple about 3 yrs ago.

As you can see from the images below they work for us.....they are not used often but I like the fact that I can set them up when needed. They are built very well and don't wobble about.

July09TamPB1.jpg

July09TamPB.jpg

Sometimes we just sit on the roof.....

IMG_1135.jpg

Seats removed:

TrentErewash-1.jpg

I just like this one.....

BoatWeekend11thMay08036.jpg

If you want further info this is where I got them....

KM Joinery

Regards

Mark

In answer to the OP, we have a seating arrangement on our boat which we find perfect for us.

They can be installed and removed within minutes, painted to match your boat colours and D.I.Y fitted. I will say I have no connection with the person that makes them other than the fact I bought a couple about 3 yrs ago.

As you can see from the images below they work for us.....they are not used often but I like the fact that I can set them up when needed. They are built very well and don't wobble about.

>snip<

Oh dear! Seats behind the arc of the tiller and a rope coiled on the tiller pin - I do hope you do not have the prop turning with this state of affairs . . .

I don't think Steve Hudson would approve of such an addition!

Love the 'Francis' search lamp up front though :lol:

July09TamPB1.jpg

July09TamPB.jpg

Sometimes we just sit on the roof.....

IMG_1135.jpg

Seats removed:

TrentErewash-1.jpg

I just like this one.....

BoatWeekend11thMay08036.jpg

If you want further info this is where I got them....

KM Joinery

Regards

Mark

Oh dear! Seats behind the arc of the tiller and a rope coiled on the tiller pin - I do hope you do not have the prop turning with this state of affairs . . .

The prop doesn't seem to be turning so well after I dropped it on the cill at Welford comming out of the pub having had a nice bottle or two of wine I must have been distracted whilst on the phone...

Doorman, spot on he hates em!! :lol:

M.

A good example of the sort of seats to avoid. I do hope you don't get a good look at your propeller whilst using them.

Sue

A good example of the sort of seats to avoid. I do hope you don't get a good look at your propeller whilst using them.

Sue

I do not necessarily agree, depends on the tiller arc, most you see and possibly these would be 'safer' mounted out on the cants and further back!