Reverse layout?

Water Rat.

Featured Posts

well you certainly put the cat amongst the pigeons with your brew on the move John!!but back to the point ,personally I'd have thought it a 'no brainer' reverse is logically the best ;I can see no advantages at all in the 'standard?' layout? Mick

Good view from the saloon rather than the bedroom? If you are cooking on the move (and Magpie Mum often does) can see forward?

Ok here goes - what are the pros and cons of a reverse layout? I am thinking of doing this to create more space up front.

At the moment , from back to front, I have a fixed single beth which has to be converted to a double when we need it (big pain) and is a waste of space during the day except as a dumping ground for bags. Next is bathroom then forward space is around 11ft incorporating galley and seating area. The galley is about 6ft so not much seating area which also converts to a cross double berth. I have an old style gas heater which is fantastic - instant heat - but can be a bit scarey, it is 20 years old now, so I would like a stove.

Who has a reverse and what do you think of it?

I am researchng now in preperation for the build of my narrow boat. I too am attracted to the idea of the reverse floor plan. I found http://www.waterwaysworld.com/

Waterways World has a nifty design feature which allows one to create as many designs as one likes, label and save them--no charge. It really helps to see the layout.

Cheers!

I am researchng now in preperation for the build of my narrow boat. I too am attracted to the idea of the reverse floor plan. I found http://www.waterwaysworld.com/

Waterways World has a nifty design feature which allows one to create as many designs as one likes, label and save them--no charge. It really helps to see the layout.

Cheers!

Be aware that there appears to be an upper limit on the number of new objects (eg cupboard) created on a plan. After many months of developing my plan I can no longer drag a new object onto the boat. There does not seem to be any way of deleting unwanted objects. You can hide them but they still seem to be there. WW have told me they have a new improved version coming out in the new year.

Be aware that there appears to be an upper limit on the number of new objects (eg cupboard) created on a plan. After many months of developing my plan I can no longer drag a new object onto the boat. There does not seem to be any way of deleting unwanted objects. You can hide them but they still seem to be there. WW have told me they have a new improved version coming out in the new year.

I've tried drawing boats plans on the computer but found it easier to draw the basic plan of the boat on paper and then cutting out the 'objects' out of an old cereal packet. You can then move them around the plan to your hearts content!

Just a thought..... :lol:

I've tried drawing boats plans on the computer but found it easier to draw the basic plan of the boat on paper and then cutting out the 'objects' out of an old cereal packet. You can then move them around the plan to your hearts content!

Too much Blue Peter I think :lol:

Try Autocad.

Not the easiest programme to master if you dont have any previous experience of it, but once mastered boat plans are a doddle to draw.

Don't forget that shapes change and floor area is not the same as deck area.

Try Autocad.

Not the easiest programme to master if you dont have any previous experience of it, but once mastered boat plans are a doddle to draw.

Understatement of the year if you ask me - possibly the most non intuitive program ever to hit the market and what a price :lol:

See Picture .....................layout.jpg

All the 'bits' are movable

I can send a copy if any one is interested

Alex

That's really good!! You are obviously skilled so have a go with Sketchup, you might like it and you can model in 3D (although I have found that to be a very steep learning curve :lol:) There is a pre-done 3D canalboat that is in their library as well. I have tried MS Word, Excel etc., and autocad type programs before settling on Sketchup - but it was personal preference that's all.

All the best,

John

Nope, it still isn't helping. As built Tawny Owl had, from the front, a cabin with two bunks, another cabin with two bunks, a shower room with loo, a convertible table, a galley, a convertible table, a shower room with loo, a cabin with two bunks and a cabin with two bunks.

I've now completely rebuilt it reversed, but I don't seem to have gained any advantage...

Richard

Nope, it still isn't helping. As built Tawny Owl had, from the front, a cabin with two bunks, another cabin with two bunks, a shower room with loo, a convertible table, a galley, a convertible table, a shower room with loo, a cabin with two bunks and a cabin with two bunks.

I've now completely rebuilt it reversed, but I don't seem to have gained any advantage...

Richard

Hi Richard

You know you are not going to get any more room which ever way you cut it.

For me its the convienience of not having to walk past the bed and bathroom everytime I want to get to the galley/lounge.

With my 45ft internal space my priority was a large lounge to relax in the evenings, most of the day is spent outside.

I started with a - just big enough bedroom, just big enough bathroom, just big enough galley.

What I was left with was 14ft lounge.

Its all a compromise.

Alex

Hi Richard

You know you are not going to get any more room which ever way you cut it.

For me its the convienience of not having to walk past the bed and bathroom everytime I want to get to the galley/lounge.

With my 45ft internal space my priority was a large lounge to relax in the evenings, most of the day is spent outside.

I started with a - just big enough bedroom, just big enough bathroom, just big enough galley.

What I was left with was 14ft lounge.

Its all a compromise.

Alex

HI Alex,

I was being a bit cheeky really, but it does amuse me that there is somehow a "proper" order to put the bedroom/bathroom/galley/lounge and then you either start with a bedroom at the back or a bedroom at the front. Hence the "Normal(?)/reversed" layout descriptions. It's a boat for heaven sake. It's possible to put what you want where you want. Our boat clearly has neither a conventional or reverse layout. As it happens the front two cabins are gradually becoming a sort of lounge area, followed by a shower room, then dining area/galley/double bedroom/loo/four bunk cabin. So what's that? Normal or reversed?

I don't know nor care really. It works for us. There is getting to be a lot of formality and sameness in the interior layout of boats that really isn't necessary

Richard

'Reversed' layout was a major part of my specification when I when NB shopping five years ago (not that I knew, at the time, that this layout was considered 'backwards')

It made far more sense, in my head, to come aboard via the stern, then to drop into the saloon. The primeval desire to sleep at the back of your cave is acheived by a forward cabin, remote from any regular gangway.

Pros:

When cruising (both singlehanded or with friends), having the galley close to the tiller is very handy - no opening your bedroom to the elements to grab a coat, no carrying cups of tea through your bedroom on the move :lol:

When cruising with more than 2 friends the party is continuous through the saloon, up the steps and to the helm - not split into 2 parties, separated by 50' of gunwale.

When moored up and living aboard, it is easier to step on board with shopping via the cruising deck, rather than plunging headfirst through the cratch cover.

Since the well-deck and forward cabin door are seldom used with a reversed layout, this configuration lends itself to a full-width bed (I enjoy a king-size bed in Waterlily II :lol: )

[Gas-struts allow the bed base and mattress to be lifted for access to lots of storage below - and to expose a corridor to the well deck if required. In an emergency the door to the well deck can be reached by crawling over the bed.]

Cons:

The well-deck is somewhat isolated in a reversed layout. Good for storage, but not really part of the living space.

James.

Wow a three storey boat, would it not hit the bridges?

That is nothing. Yesterday in Eastbourne, somebody was riding around on a double decker bicycle! I have no idea what problem it was designed to solve. All I know is that if he had to stop for a traffic light or pedestrian crossing, his feet would not reach the ground!!

K

Is it not a good spot to sit with a cup of coffee in the morning?

The welldeck is not really as good as my rear deck as a place to sit with a coffee/smoke. Reversed layout and a full-width bed means my coffee and I have to (1) lift the bed and restack the boxes beneath it; or (2) de-shoe, crawl over the mattress and re-shoe; or (3) climb over the roof - to get there.

The cruiser deck is 'just there' - slightly past the sofa, 10' from the kettle. Meanwhile, the welldeck remains sadly underused (except as storage for anchor, hosereel, kindling box, paint cans etc, etc.)

The welldeck is not really as good as my rear deck as a place to sit with a coffee/smoke. Reversed layout and a full-width bed means my coffee and I have to (1) lift the bed and restack the boxes beneath it; or (2) de-shoe, crawl over the mattress and re-shoe; or (3) climb over the roof - to get there.

The cruiser deck is 'just there' - slightly past the sofa, 10' from the kettle. Meanwhile, the welldeck remains sadly underused (except as storage for anchor, hosereel, kindling box, paint cans etc, etc.)

So in an emergency how do you quickly deploy your anchor? :lol:

So in an emergency how do you quickly deploy your anchor? :lol:

If there is that much of an emergency, I'll climb over the bed with my boots on.

This said, when a flake of rust blocked my fuel pipe and gave me occasion to deploy anchor last year, I had 100 ft width of empty river, with <1 knot of current, to play with. Plenty of time for reaching the well-deck without getting mud on my duvet.