Boat handling training

Featured Posts

Jan is asking Santa for a boat (narrow) handling course/training.

Not sure where to start looking for such a course??

Is it possible to get such training when you don't have your own boat :lol:

I'm not sure of the value given we are months away yet from owning our own boat, though of course we do hire and Jan says she will enjoy hols. on the cut more if she was more competent at steering,

She's pretty good now but finds the low speed manoeuvring stuff a bit of a challenge.

Views welcome folks please.

I'm not sure of the value given we are months away yet from owning our own boat, though of course we do hire and Jan says she will enjoy hols. on the cut more if she was more competent at steering,

She's pretty good now but finds the low speed manoeuvring stuff a bit of a challenge.

The Inland waterways "Helmsaman Certificate" is probably what you are seeking. It's issued by RYA qualified instructors and you can get details from their website. Most intructors either have their own boat or have use of boat (it has to be RYA vetted as training base) or you can use your own boat. There is a standard fee for a days training which usually ends up with you obtaining your certificate but it does not just include steering the boat. It covers everything from basic engine maintenance, H&S, man overboard, locks, rope work, Col regs, sound signals, environment etc etc. The sylabus is on the RYA webstite. If you use your own boat the instructor will agree a fee with you that may include some element for his/her travel expenses.

As it's a comprehensive course which I personallyI believe it is well worthwhile and is not has difficult as the sylabus may appear at first. If you can get as much training as you can before hand the better.

Good luck

We certainly used to see training being undertaken when we boated in the Braunston area (Top Lock Training is one name that seems to stick in my mind, although not from the Braunston area, see: http://www.toplocktraining.co.uk/) and we often used to share wide locks with the trainees on a trainer's own boat. Depends on your home area of course but, as suggested, it might be worth starting with the RYA or even having a look in the magazine ads. I think that if anyone is nervous it will be of benefit as it wll give confidence on which experience can be built.

Roger

Edited by Albion

Sure there was a long, hotly debated and comprehensive thread about this a while back, starting with the usefulness or otherwise of the RYA Helmsman's course and suggesting a number of alternatives.

The RYA certificate is the only formal and recognised helmsman qualification for inland watersfor private / leisure craft and if you want to boat inland on the continent you'll need an ICC with a CEVNI endorsement. The authorities in Europe demand this where as in the UK we dont. You would need to either take an ICC test (which assumes you have the necessary skills) or train with an instructor for a IWHC and take an ICC at some other time if required.

There are many people moving boats about who have had no formal training and they are excellent boat handlers but ther are also many people handling boats badly which at times causes problems for themselves and others. Many boaters do not understand colloision avoidance (Col regs) or sound signals, man overboard drill etc. I see regulary boats being steered by a helmsman with a can of beer in his hand. In the event of an accident and someone gets hurts or even worse is killed, the following inquest could focus on the skippers abilities. This could be debated but a formal qualification such as the IWHC would be viewed favourably.

The RYA certificate is the only formal and recognised helmsman qualification for inland watersfor private / leisure craft and if you want to boat inland on the continent you'll need an ICC with a CEVNI endorsement. The authorities in Europe demand this where as in the UK we dont. You would need to either take an ICC test (which assumes you have the necessary skills) or train with an instructor for a IWHC and take an ICC at some other time if required.

There are many people moving boats about who have had no formal training and they are excellent boat handlers but ther are also many people handling boats badly which at times causes problems for themselves and others. Many boaters do not understand colloision avoidance (Col regs) or sound signals, man overboard drill etc. I see regulary boats being steered by a helmsman with a can of beer in his hand. In the event of an accident and someone gets hurts or even worse is killed, the following inquest could focus on the skippers abilities. This could be debated but a formal qualification such as the IWHC would be viewed favourably.

Shocking :lol:

I had to get the Helmsmans Certificate to be able to steer BW boats at the National, did mine with:

http://www.trboathandling.com/

Very nice person.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Hi Martin,

The people at Concoform Marine in Weedon, just up the canal from me, offer RYA training. They have been at that location since 1968, so they certainly have a lot of practical knowledge. I am reasonably sure they will provide a boat if you don't have your own. I don't have the number to hand here at home but can get it to you if you're interested. It depends on where you are as to whether that is a sensiblel location, but there are certainly a number of RYA qualified instructors around the system who will offer a course aboard their own boat. Andy Newman at Willow Wren in Rugby is one I know of for certain.

As to the value of these courses, I think to the uninitiated they can be highly instructive.

Dominic

I would second Malcolm at Top Lock Training. You think you know enough, then think again!

Ali got me this as a pressy, stayed at a brill pub nearby, and highly reccomend.

John

Edited to make sense...yet again!!!

Edited by johnmck

As to the value of these courses, I think to the uninitiated they can be highly instructive.

Dominic

Totally agree. SWIMBO and I did a two day course with Top Lock Training, and Malcolm was superb.

Highly recommended - they use their own training boat a 55 foot narrow boat.

Malcolm also features in Season 2, Episode 2 of Locks and Quays showing a training session.

Stewey

We engaged Terry Robertson of TR Boat Handling for pretty much the exact reasons the OP states - my wife wanted experience and confidence. The day was really beneficial, including Terry guiding us through our first lock. Jan was the only person to touch the tiller through the training. Both of us learned a huge amount and Jan subsequently had the confidence to handle the boat in and out of locks 'solo'.

This training was on our own boat and gave us the basic skills to enable us to set off on our own and really learn to handle the boat in a wide variety of situations.

Best of luck

Jo