BW Planning Application - Marsworth Yard demolition!

hughc

Featured Posts

It's psychological blackmail.

Whilst some plans show the crane in a new and impotent position, the refurbishment of same will be a coat of paint, and permanently decommissioned - can't have anyone sticking their fingers in it and getting hurt. It's like the old steam rollers that ended up concreted into kiddies playgrounds. In the end they all disappear. All the artists elevations show no crane anywhere - artistic licence, or artful absence? Either way, the postage stamp waters edge above the lock cannot be called a wharf.

Here's the sharp end of the stick.

It plays out like this: Slap a huge application in for the maximum - to which everyone screams "objection!" Then explain in 'practical and financial' terms how it's something or nothing, so everyone begins to believe 'something' has to be accepted - we are rational beings, and been trained to think so. Compromises are made, the encumbrance of an alleged historic building goes up in smoke one night the vandals don't get caught, a development goes ahead. The developers get what they wanted in the first place - a development; AVDC have gone some way toward achieving their compliance with their new housing quota as set by HMG; the objectors believe they have at least saved something, the breeze block eyesore is gone, alternative facilities elsewhere - job done. The people have had their say, they feel they have been listened to (shame about the old warehouse), and the fat cats have a piece of the pie - not theirs - yours. And as the full plan was not realised, there may be an adjustment made to annual licence fees. Have you ever known them to go down? There are other alternatives, but they won't happen.

The Bank wins.

It's psychological blackmail.

Whilst some plans show the crane in a new and impotent position, the refurbishment of same will be a coat of paint, and permanently decommissioned - can't have anyone sticking their fingers in it and getting hurt. It's like the old steam rollers that ended up concreted into kiddies playgrounds. In the end they all disappear. All the artists elevations show no crane anywhere - artistic licence, or artful absence? Either way, the postage stamp waters edge above the lock cannot be called a wharf.

This plan shows the repositioned crane.

It appears to be about as far from the top lock, as the lock is long, so no more than a full length boat's length away from it.

Plan showing repositioned crane.

It is just about shown on this artists impression.

Artists Impression, showing crane and docks.

It looks like a wharf area, doesn't it. (Not!)

It's like the old steam rollers that ended up concreted into kiddies playgrounds. In the end they all disappear.

That's not all a bad thing. Whilst I hate to see artifacts from our industrial past corrupted*, the steam roller I played on as a kid in the rec. at Slough made way for a scateboard rink on which, far more kids got injured from what I remember. However, a year after removal I saw the old Aveling Porter in steam at the Brill steam festival.

'Sickle' came close to being concreted in to Sawley yard. I'm far happier seeing it restored and afloat.

*My pet hate is the weighbridge and office at Coventry which was bastardised beyond hope of interpretation by the planners of twee redevelopment of the basin area. I would rather they had taken it away than corrupted its setting.

"Don't want Muslims at Brierfield Mill" is a current article and would not have been alongside the article I linked to back in April. It must have passed you by for some other reason.

Shame on you Allan.

To ally yourself with a publication that expresses such racism and the cowardice to hide their views behind the wordplay in a headline. Even the Sun is more honest that this.

I have enormous respect for the research you do and the articles you write.

I think that you devalue yourself by being associated with such bigotry.

Edited by Chris Pink

Enlarge and look at the mitre gates of the staircase lock. The artist has little idea of how canals work.... :lol:

Of course. Such details are inconsequential to their goals, 'near enough' maintains their status and salary. Are BW concerned about getting such details correct about the heritage they are custodians of? Not a bit, to get absorbed in such details distracts from the bigger picture.

How about those restored rollers, steam boats, and lorries - apart from the bigger projects that require trusts and the like, it's the owner operator that ends up with the task and often makes a better job of it - not any Council or quango. And if there is a sub-government organisation in control, they will eventually be the victim of financial cuts, just as we are seeing between DEFRA and BW. It's a bat and ball game with the users as piggy in the middle - piggy supplies the balls.

Derek

Edited by Derek R.

Shame on you Allan.

To ally yourself with a publication that expresses such racism and the cowardice to hide their views behind the wordplay in a headline. Even the Sun is more honest that this.

I have enormous respect for the research you do and the articles you write.

I think that you devalue yourself by being associated with such bigotry.

I believe you will find that the headline has been changed.

I believe you will find that the headline has been changed.

yes, all credit to Tom who sent me this email;

"Yes, I agree with you, the headline, though obviously true, does seem a little bigoted, which I certainly am not, so I will now have a look at it and see how it can be changed."

my size 10 boots again. you may continue to write for narrowboatworld Allan :lol: Keep up the good work.

Edited by Chris Pink

Of course. Such details are inconsequential to their goals, near enough maintains their status and salary. Are BW concerned about getting such details correct about the heritage they are custodians of? Not a bit, to get absorbed in such details distracts from the bigger picture.

How about those restored rollers, steam boats, and lorries - apart from the bigger projects that require trusts and the like, it's the owner operator that ends up with the task and often makes a better job of it - not any Council or quango. And if there is a sub-government organisation in control, they will eventually be the victim of financial cuts, just as we are seeing between DEFRA and BW. It's a bat and ball game with the users as piggy in the middle - piggy supplies the balls.

Derek

Did someone mention salary?

From another Forum:

Development of British Waterways’ Marsworth Operational Yard

You will be aware that H20, a partnership between British Waterways

and private sector company, bloc, has submitted a planning application

to redevelop Marsworth Yard.

We would like to invite you to an open evening to discuss this

proposal in more detail, with specific reference to how this may

affect you as a local moorer.

The open evening has been planned for:

Thursday, 10th December 2009

At Marsworth Village Hall

Any time between 5pm and 7.30pm

For further information, please e-mail:

enquiries.southe...@britishwaterways.co.uk or telephone 01908 302500.

We look forward to seeing you there.

Yours sincerely

Jeff Whyatt

Waterway Manager (South East)

Wouter Nijland

Senior Moorings Manager (South)

Aiden Johnson-Hugill

Development Manager (South)

BANTER!

(Oops! - Sorry! :lol: )

I had a reply to my objection from

AYLESBURY VALE DISTRICT COUNCIL

re

Marsworth Yard British Waterways Church Lane Marsworth Buckinghamshire HP23 4LZ

Demolition of industrial and British Waterways operational buildings

Thank you for writing to us with your views on this application.

Please note that a copy of your letter or email will be added to the application file, which is viewable on our website. We cannot treat your comments or any part of your email or letter as confidential.

Our senior planning officers decide most of the applications we receive. Councillors who sit on our Development Control Committee decide some applications. If the Committee is to determine this application, we will notify you a few days beforehand, inviting you to register to speak at the meeting if you wish. Whether or not you wish to speak, you will be welcome to attend the meeting to hear the application being discussed.

I enclose leaflets http://www.aylesburyvaledc.gov.uk/planning...g-applications/ http://www.aylesburyvaledc.gov.uk/planning...aking-comments/ explaining who decides planning applications and what matters we can and can’t take into account when determining planning applications. If, having read the leaflets you wish to discuss your comments with the case officer, contact details are given at the top of this letter.

You can track progress of planning applications and view copies of plans and other documents on our website (address below): follow the link to `planning applications’ from the home page.

We will write to let you know of our decision on this application.

Sue

The Councillor for this area is

Councillor C Cashman The Uppr Flat The Bothy Mentmore L Buzzard Beds

I had a reply to my objection from

AYLESBURY VALE DISTRICT COUNCIL

Yes ditto, although web-site does not seem to have updated with any objections from forum members yet.

We could have a poll to decide who we think sent in the best one, once they are all up there, (although if there are as many as it seems,it will need some stamina to read them all!).

(snip)

Yours sincerely

Jeff Whyatt

Wouter Nijland

Aiden Johnson-Hugill

Aiden Johnson-Hugill was the author of the rapidly published 'explanation' as seen HERE.

Note that in that announcement no mention is made of any boaters facilities at Tringford - only facilities for BW staff now at Marsworth. The relevant phrases are in section 2.2 Existing Uses. The last sentence of the first paragraph relates to boaters facilities - but then there is a paragraph break. The second paragraph relates to facilities for BW staff. It is in the LAST part of the LAST SENTENCE in that second paragraph that needs elaborating and defining: -

"British Waterways intends to separately build a new facility at Tringford Pumping Station safeguarding these positions and delivering an improved service to canal users and visitors."

Water? Refuse? Elsan? I think not, and anyway it's seven locks further south.

I don't think Latham's are the bad guys in any of this, it's more likely BW have picked up on the fact that whilst the warehouse might be of historic value, its 'vandalised' appearance 'does' for it, and its presence obstructs further progress, whereas the crane takes little space, and can be moved and fitted in just about anywhere with no problem - A token gesture to the sites former use and long term purpose for existing.

Section 4.2.4 Last sentence again: "Development proposals should not adversely affect inland waterways."

This makes no reference to its users. The defining points are all in the words used.

The "bad neighbour" referred to in the Entec submission is the concrete batching plant, and much is made of removing this, and on how the area has never contributed to the conservation area as a whole. Yet the site has been industrial from its original construction, to claim it is "out of context and inappropriate for its rural setting" (section 5.1.1) indicates a willingness to pander to the modernistic 'rural ideal' and dispose of this history in favour of 'new build'. Is Marsworth being rid of one 'bad neighbour' for 14? In that same section, point is made of a loss of 'noise, dust and vehicle movements', yet contrarily state the site is 'dilapidated and derelict' - this hardly describes a centre of activity. Further more, is this 'noise, dust and vehicle movement' now to be transposed to the residents of Tringford?

Expect a softening up and brainwashing session. They will be sticking to their plan.

It is described as an 'open evening', this may be so that individuals can be spoken to and reasoned with. The chances of persuasion are greater than if addressing all from the stand, especially if the attendees are largely hostile in nature. The meeting will be another 'Brownie' point for them, as it will go down on record that they met with the locals.

Does anyone know if the Parish Council are meeting on the 14th?

Derek

PS We are not ALONE.

Edited by Derek R.

Does anyone know if the Parish Council are meeting on the 14th?

Yes Derek it seems they are.

http://www.marsworth.org.uk/11.html

Keith

Thank you Keith. I'm not sure I will be able to get to either, but I have had a lengthy and considered reply from Aiden Johnson-Hugill.

In it, he cites that an alternative idea of a market place was dismissed due to there being another a mile distant.

Where I live on the edge of a sizeable town we have three mens haidressers all within a 100yd length of shop fronts. They all do good business, as there is a choice of three. Banks are generally situated in close proximity to one another; Kilburn High Road in North London had 35 fast food outlets at one time, along the length from Brondesbury Park Station to Kilburn Bridge, approximately one mile. How many clothes shops can be found in any shopping arcade, they are busy places, and attract people. If the 'Moles' have not done so, I'll be replying.

Derek

Edited by Derek R.

For reference, if of interest, I've uploaded a picture of Marsworth Yard circa 1940 is on the Canalscape London homepage

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/CanalScape-London/

Mark

Thanks mark. Looks like 'Roger' loaded with sand maybe, and eased off for the turn down the arm. Timber leant up against the stairway to the workshop/warehouse. Nice shot.

Acknowledgements coming through now. It's important to remember that BW need constructive alternative suggestions as to what would be a more acceptable plan for Marsworth Yard. Having already spent a substantial amount of income on consultancy, a re-run will not be well received.

Interesting comment on the 'Foot Soldiers' over on CanalScape-London.

Derek

Bumped:

To remind anyone who can get there of the open evening, tomorrow, Thursday.

From another Forum:

Development of British Waterways’ Marsworth Operational Yard

You will be aware that H20, a partnership between British Waterways

and private sector company, bloc, has submitted a planning application

to redevelop Marsworth Yard.

We would like to invite you to an open evening to discuss this

proposal in more detail, with specific reference to how this may

affect you as a local moorer.

Yours sincerely

Jeff Whyatt

Wouter Nijland

Aiden Johnson-Hugill