Calder and Hebble hand spike for locks

hillbilly

Featured Posts

We also didnt find any sold, but made so with a peice of driftwood we onboard destined for kindling.

- That was about 2*2inch softwood, which worked, but was a loose fit compaired to a peice of 3*2 but seamed strong enough.

- We only went from the huderfeild broad to ledgard bridge and then back and up the rochdale, for which hardwood would have seamed a waste.

- Square shaft, with a squaured off end is what you want to be making.

Daniel

I'm on my third handspike, all home-made. One was a square-section steel rod (part of my old market stall) - finally bent at Cromwell lock, which also saw off one of the others. A slight taper at the business end helps to remove it from the paddle gear and let the paddle drop. Don't make it too short-you need a lot of leverage sometimes.

Mac

Hi...

Mr ignorant here..

What is a hand spike used for....?

Do I need one....?

Should I have had one before...?

Am I short of one....?

Signed : Insecure

Like a baseball bat but square at one end. I would have thought a pickaxe handle would be ideal.

When passing them up in locks sometimes I was thinking .... very heavy I hope it don't drop on me head.

So you practised the Spanish approach to H&S - It's heavy, this would hurt if I dropped it. I won't drop it.

Yeah? :lol:

Aspley Marina at Aspley Basin in Huddersfield sell them.

Can't remember how much, though.

I paid a tenner for mine, there, in 2006. Beautiful hardwood thing.

This was of course *after* we'd come back from the C&H, though I slept with it by the bed. Offensive weapon officer? Surely not.