canals or railways?

fender

Featured Posts

I see there's a thread bemoaning the input of new topics as if they've got nothing to do with canals....

I dont know if this has been done on CWF before but obviously quite a number of us like BOTH canals and railways (and trams!)

Personally I prefer railways to canals (ducking to avoid incoming...)

BUT railways are not so easy to get to or onto, and not so easily accessed. Whereas the canals can be accessed and viewed 24/7 without any restrictions whatsoever and their history and historical atmosphere can be enjoyed and experienced in a way the railways cannot ever compete with. I can walk the towpath and enjoy the locks anytime. I had always been interested in railways so I was quite a latecomer to the canals.

Its interesting when people discuss railways on CWF its so easy to drop the boater's badge and wear the engine driver's badge for a change!

I see there's a thread bemoaning the input of new topics as if they've got nothing to do with canals....

I dont know if this has been done on CWF before but obviously quite a number of us like BOTH canals and railways (and trams!)

Personally I prefer railways to canals (ducking to avoid incoming...)

BUT railways are not so easy to get to or onto, and not so easily accessed. Whereas the canals can be accessed and viewed 24/7 without any restrictions whatsoever and their history and historical atmosphere can be enjoyed and experienced in a way the railways cannot ever compete with. I can walk the towpath and enjoy the locks anytime. I had always been interested in railways so I was quite a latecomer to the canals.

Its interesting when people discuss railways on CWF its so easy to drop the boater's badge and wear the engine driver's badge for a change!

For my leisure time I prefer canals although I love taking a train through an unfamiliar bit of countryside. One regret from our summer holiday in the Basque region was that I didn't get to ride on the narrow gauge EskuTren, although we had a good bash on the Bilbao Metro.

For Transport, the Last Late Western inter city 125's take some beating. They've more legroom than more modern trains and go like the bats out of hell, I also like the pendolino but don't get to travel on it much. I suffer the cross country trains from Bristol to Birmingham because it is better than taking the car.

This has prompted a thought, next long trip we might stop at Kidderminster and have a trip on the Severn Valley, although I'll have to forgive them for Mothballing 8F 8633 first

Sticking my neck out further than usual, I think this country's railways were ruined long ago whereas the canals are enjoying a healthy revival - even if they are not being used for their original purpose. Steering my boat along any of the inland waterways cannot be much different to the experience on a genuine working boat back in the 1950s - this must be especially true for those who have a traditional boat and power unit.

The same cannot be said for the railways, nothing will ever compare with the footplate rides I had on steam locomotives in the early 1960s - indeed, even riding in the trains - the whole atmosphere of the Britain's professionally run steam railway system was magical - yes we have preserved railways but tootling along at 25 mph with scruffy staff dressed in high visibility jackets (even the ticket clerks and buffet car attendants) just doesn't cut it for me.

And here is something else that I have discovered - after 40 years of trying to 're-create the experience' of British steam railways and only five years or so back on the canals, I reckon that the canal people that I have met are much nicer, more balanced and less manic than their railway equivalents.

Canals, though a friend has a Merchant Navy Class Loco purchased in the late sixties for scrap value which runs out of Victoria pulling Orient Express rolling stock, I wish I was involved but I've missed the boat. :0

Sticking my neck out further than usual, I think this country's railways were ruined long ago whereas the canals are enjoying a healthy revival - even if they are not being used for their original purpose. Steering my boat along any of the inland waterways cannot be much different to the experience on a genuine working boat back in the 1950s - this must be especially true for those who have a traditional boat and power unit.

The same cannot be said for the railways, nothing will ever compare with the footplate rides I had on steam locomotives in the early 1960s - indeed, even riding in the trains - the whole atmosphere of the Britain's professionally run steam railway system was magical - yes we have preserved railways but tootling along at 25 mph with scruffy staff dressed in high visibility jackets (even the ticket clerks and buffet car attendants) just doesn't cut it for me.

And here is something else that I have discovered - after 40 years of trying to 're-create the experience' of British steam railways and only five years or so back on the canals, I reckon that the canal people that I have met are much nicer, more balanced and less manic than their railway equivalents.

I think that refelects in another way as well . When a canal is restored it just merges back into the network (assuming it connects to it) whereas a preserved railway becomes an oddity, stuck on it's own in a time warp. I loved the Isle of Wight Railway last year because it was using heritage stock to do a proper job.

That said, when I'm travelling to London I'm glad it's not to the 1950's timetable!

Edited by magpie patrick

I think that refelects in another way as well . When a canal is restored it just merges back into the network (assuming it connects to it) whereas a preserved railway becomes an oddity, stuck on it's own in a time warp. I loved the Isle of Wight Railway last year because it was using heritage stock to do a proper job.

That said, when I'm travelling to London I'm glad it's not to the 1950's timetable!

There is a 'train' of thought that holds that Mr Beeching did steam a favour by lopping off all the branch lines, thus giving steam locos meaningful bits of track to operate on.

Canals, though a friend has a Merchant Navy Class Loco purchased in the late sixties for scrap value which runs out of Victoria pulling Orient Express rolling stock, I wish I was involved but I've missed the boat. :0

Know what you mean, Dad helped a group of his pupils buy 8633 straight out of the depot at Bolton in 1967, that's why it has a special place in my affections. The y raised £3000 and were told to go and pick one. The depot manager gave them the one in best condition. It turned out to be in good condition because BR had only just got it back from the war department, who had done little except maintain it on good order ever since they'd got it back from Iran!

Know what you mean, Dad helped a group of his pupils buy 8633 straight out of the depot at Bolton in 1967, that's why it has a special place in my affections. The y raised £3000 and were told to go and pick one. The depot manager gave them the one in best condition. It turned out to be in good condition because BR had only just got it back from the war department, who had done little except maintain it on good order ever since they'd got it back from Iran!

Cool, I understand my friend and a couple of his pals bought his for pennies when he was 17, never gave a thought as to where to stable it, I understand he still lived at home at the time and his parents went nuclear, he moved out shortly afterwards. I dont think it was more than a couple of years old, but steam had been decreed dead. I was priviliged to be invited to his 60th on HMS Belfast a couple of years back where his hugely humourous speech centered around the loco being the one Constant in his adult life.... True Love..

Look you 2 there were only 2 choices, canals or railways... :lol: If we could pick anything i'd come up with something really good, just haven't got me thinking head on right now :lol:

But the two are completely different.

They can peacefully co-exist and, in certain cases successfully interact.

I still prefer the sea, though.

This has prompted a thought, next long trip we might stop at Kidderminster and have a trip on the Severn Valley, although I'll have to forgive them for Mothballing 8F 8633 first

I thought your dad was involved with 48773? Is it one & the same? Perhaps you were just testing us .

Someone once said " Canal enthusiasts are 90% frustrated railway enthusiasts." Most of us get to drive boats, few of us get to drive trains.

Bill

Canals would be my choice, but to me the sound of a big steam locomotive pulling a heavy load cannot be beaten!!

Edders

would agree, but I also miss the scream of the 125's before they were re-engined. And one evening when I got off the train at Bridgend, and the 125 screamed away into the sunset, it brought a tear to the eye.

Obviously I'm a 125 fan :lol: :lol: :lol:

Like others here I'm not really a fan of either. Sure a nice steam train is of interest, but like ex working boats I can take em or leave em.

Rivers and the sea are my passion, id happily never see another ex worker or steam lpoco, for Count Dracula.

Canals for leisure.

Railways for work. But then I am a signalman!!

However I do enjoy a nice day trip around some of the preserved lines in and around Wales, and the occasional trip on the real job, especially as that normally intails some beer. (and no I don't get free travel)

Now that British Waterways are intent on ethnically cleansing the waterways, some of us are investing in rolling stock and intending to live on the railways.

Like others here I'm not really a fan of either. Sure a nice steam train is of interest, but like ex working boats I can take em or leave em.

Rivers and the sea are my passion, id happily never see another ex worker or steam lpoco, for Count Dracula.

I am moored on a former canal transit basin-coal was transported from Shutt End colliery for loading onto boats for the journey down the Staffs & Worcs and the Stourport Light power station. The old staithes are still to be seen as well as the bed for the former tracks. Conversion to a marina was an intelligent and far sighted step-we have just celebrated the 50th anniversary.

Compare this to the head of the Stourbridge arm. A tunnel led under the Wolverhampton road to a basin served by a spur of the Stourbridge Town GWR station. This was negelected, filled in and firstly gasometers, then flats built. A lost amenity to the town-I like gasometers, actually.