I know what boat I want

terryvanman

Featured Posts

Well after lurking on here for quite a while and reading all the posts I have finally made up my mind to buy a Madison made by Aqualine

and having read the buy new or second hand posts I have to agree that a second hand would be the way to go for a first time buyer like me.

so the questions are..... how much? where are they? do you own one ? do you want to flog it? are they any good? have you heard any bad things about Aqualine? what should I look out for? what size engine? whats the lotto numbers for Saturday? whats your inside leg measurement?

seriously....I need help [to buy a boat] not mentally can any of you knowledgeable people point me in the right direction?

thanks

confused......Terry

Well after lurking on here for quite a while and reading all the posts I have finally made up my mind to buy a Madison made by Aqualine

and having read the buy new or second hand posts I have to agree that a second hand would be the way to go for a first time buyer like me.

so the questions are..... how much? where are they? do you own one ? do you want to flog it? are they any good? have you heard any bad things about Aqualine? what should I look out for? what size engine? whats the lotto numbers for Saturday? whats your inside leg measurement?

seriously....I need help [to buy a boat] not mentally can any of you knowledgeable people point me in the right direction?

thanks

confused......Terry

A good starting point is the Apollo Duck web site which has by far the biggest choice of used n/bs (over 900 last time I looked). You can search by maker. The 'New & Used Boat Co.', who advertise in the monthly boatimags, tend to offer mainly recent second-hand craft; I believe, though I am not sure, that they have some connection with N&UBC so you might find one on offer there.

This craft has not been on the market very long (2 or 3 years?) so there will not be many s/h around yet.

EDIT: I just had a look on their site. There are seven Aqualines on there, but one's been sold, two are widebeam, and none of the others is a Madison. Because of the small production numbers of most n/bs, you will find that restricting yourself to an exact model such as the Madison will restrict your choices considerably - it's not like shopping around for a Ford Focus.

That said, go and look at one or two of the advertsied craft. You may find that either you like them just as much as the Madison, or that the marina has another boat for sale which you have never heard of but which is exactly what you want.

Edited by Athy

A good starting point is the Apollo Duck web site which has by far the biggest choice of used n/bs (over 900 last time I looked). You can search by maker. The 'New & Used Boat Co.', who advertise in the monthly boatimags, tend to offer mainly recent second-hand craft; I believe, though I am not sure, that they have some connection with N&UBC so you might find one on offer there.

This craft has not been on the market very long (2 or 3 years?) so there will not be many s/h around yet.

the new and used have got a couple of nearly new aqualines at the moment, but I'm not sure if they've got the one you're after. They sell new aqualines too iirc.

Aqualine Manhattan: http://www.theusedboat.co.uk/stock_details.asp?bro_no=470

Another manhatten but 13k more expensive :lol:http://www.theusedboat.co.uk/stock_details.asp?bro_no=356

the new and used have got a couple of nearly new aqualines at the moment, but I'm not sure if they've got the one you're after. They sell new aqualines too iirc.

Aqualine Manhattan: http://www.theusedboat.co.uk/stock_details.asp?bro_no=470

Another manhatten but 13k more expensive :lol:http://www.theusedboat.co.uk/stock_details.asp?bro_no=356

wow thanks guys :lol: will take a look

would like to hear from anyone with an aqualine boat :lol:

wow thanks guys :lol: will take a look

would like to hear from anyone with an aqualine boat :lol:

In fact they have about 4 aqualines at around 70k, which strikes me as very optimistic as they're around 80 new (going on last years prices, I can find this years). This is evident in the fact that the only one under offer is on at a more realistic 57k. There's also a few on apollo duck ( http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/boats.phtml?id=908 ), with the only one having sold being advertised at 62k. None of them are madisons though :lol:

I've just realised they do a huge range of additions, so the fittings on second hand boats could vary quite a bit.

We have a Aqualine Manhattan, and have been living on it for nearly 4 years now, I can obviously only speak from personal experience but I can not fault the Aqualine range, built in Poland the workmanship is to a very high standard and the range now offered combats the off the peg tag that some people think is a draw back. I think the higher secondhand prices for these boats reflects the quality of these boats. I believe the Madison is the reverse lay out i.e. bedroom at the front - kitchen at the back, I have never seen the advantage of this set up but that is another can of worms that can be opened later.

Good luck with your search

We have a Aqualine Manhattan, and have been living on it for nearly 4 years now, I can obviously only speak from personal experience but I can not fault the Aqualine range, built in Poland the workmanship is to a very high standard and the range now offered combats the off the peg tag that some people think is a draw back. I think the higher secondhand prices for these boats reflects the quality of these boats. I believe the Madison is the reverse lay out i.e. bedroom at the front - kitchen at the back, I have never seen the advantage of this set up but that is another can of worms that can be opened later.

thanks for reply, that's just what i wanted to hear, I too noticed the high prices that aqualine boats bring

It makes you wonder if a 2 year old boat is just £15k lower than a new boat its worth saving a bit more and get a new one, I have a couple of years to go before I retire so maybe that's an option...but please keep the info coming

We have an Aqualine Manhattan trad style - 2 years old now. Build quality is excellent, particularly the cabinetry and joinery in general. We have done 830 engine hours and are very pleased with it. Currently in week 8 of a 9 week cruise and loving it. Would be difficult to have the rear galley layout with the Trad style we prefer though.

Extras did add significantly to the basic purchase price.

From new you do get the flexibility of specifying more exactly what you want for example we wanted side hatches on either side instead of the standard one side and this wish was accommodated plus the more usual choices such as colour and lining scheme and portholes/windows combination

Mick

We have an Aqualine Manhattan trad style - 2 years old now. Build quality is excellent, particularly the cabinetry and joinery in general. We have done 830 engine hours and are very pleased with it. Currently in week 8 of a 9 week cruise and loving it. Would be difficult to have the rear galley layout with the Trad style we prefer though.

Extras did add significantly to the basic purchase price.

From new you do get the flexibility of specifying more exactly what you want for example we wanted side hatches on either side instead of the standard one side and this wish was accommodated plus the more usual choices such as colour and lining scheme and portholes/windows combination

Mick

thanks all.

I was thinking of getting one with a bow thruster as I will be doing a lot of solo cruising is this necessary

Bow thrusters have been done to death on this forum, as is usual there is a definate divide in the camp and these have been derided as ''GIRLY BUTTONS'' by the purists, when I ordered my boat I did not have much experience of canal matters and so as I could afford it at the time I had my boat fitted with one, as you gain more experience in moving your boat they become less used but if I was asked again I would have one fitted, the Aqualine has an option of just having the tube fitted and the rest at a later date, I would not go down this route as a retro fit of the thruster and electrics would be a right faff.

They are a definate boon when wishing to move your boat in a tight space when travelling at very low speeds or when stopped. Just my opinion of course.

thanks all.

I was thinking of getting one with a bow thruster as I will be doing a lot of solo cruising is this necessary

If you decide not too you can get the builders to add the tunnel when doing the hull so at least you can easily add the bow thruster at a later date if wished.

thanks all.

Spend some time steering as many boats as you can and decide for yourself whether *you* will find it necessary. Don't decide after the first hour or day or week - give yourself a chance to get really good at steering without one before you decide that you need whatever little extra it gives you. Most people manage perfectly happily without one. Solo cruising doesn't make a lot of difference - after all, there's only ever one person steering.

Now, that all seems fairly innocuous, doesn't it... but you have stumbled upon a very emotive issue here...

Spend some time steering as many boats as you can and decide for yourself whether *you* will find it necessary. Don't decide after the first hour or day or week - give yourself a chance to get really good at steering without one before you decide that you need whatever little extra it gives you. Most people manage perfectly happily without one. Solo cruising doesn't make a lot of difference - after all, there's only ever one person steering.

Now, that all seems fairly innocuous, doesn't it... but you have stumbled upon a very emotive issue here...

I have one, I don't use it very often, but when I do its great. The best use I find is if I have to reverse for any distance, it makes life a lot easier.

If you decide not too you can get the builders to add the tunnel when doing the hull so at least you can easily add the bow thruster at a later date if wished.

We have a 'fresh water shellfish habitat' tunnel in our hull, I really wish it wasn't there as I'm worried it could rust through and flood our bow locker. (There are bars welded accross meaning I can't get at it when reblacking). I'm considering getting plates welded over next time we dry dock.

thanks

confused......Terry

I'm inclined to add also that you may be restricting yourself unnecessarily by focussing on one make and model, there are literally hundreds of different types and combinations out there, I think you need to do what Jan and I have started doing and that is getting out and about and looking at what's on the market.

I too like the Madison - we saw it at Crick this year but there are many types of boat out there that may suit you better, and at a btter price too.

For instance we looked at this:-

http://www.canalboatsales.homestead.com/odysseus.html

a few weeks ago and were blown away by the fit and finish and quality on board (The photos don't do it justice) it was a great price and somebody has had a deposit on it within a week of us looking at it. I also hadn't totally up to that point thought about a trad stern, but having a good crawl around this boat helped properly form a view.

I think what I'm saying in summary is keep an open mind - don't close your mind to the possibility that the boat you end up with is not he particular model you've set your mind on a this point.

Good hunting....

Edited by MJG

• 2 weeks later...
I'm inclined to add also that you may be restricting yourself unnecessarily by focussing on one make and model, there are literally hundreds of different types and combinations out there, I think you need to do what Jan and I have started doing and that is getting out and about and looking at what's on the market.

I too like the Madison - we saw it at Crick this year but there are many types of boat out there that may suit you better, and at a btter price too.

For instance we looked at this:-

http://www.canalboatsales.homestead.com/odysseus.html

a few weeks ago and were blown away by the fit and finish and quality on board (The photos don't do it justice) it was a great price and somebody has had a deposit on it within a week of us looking at it. I also hadn't totally up to that point thought about a trad stern, but having a good crawl around this boat helped properly form a view.

I think what I'm saying in summary is keep an open mind - don't close your mind to the possibility that the boat you end up with is not he particular model you've set your mind on a this point.

Good hunting....

thanks,,, your right about keeping an open mind I'm going to spend some time over the winter having a look at many more boats and see if any more of the

{"I bought an aqualine boat last year and I don't like it"} boat brigade,,,,come up for sale :lol:

Edited by terryvanman

We have a 'fresh water shellfish habitat' tunnel in our hull, I really wish it wasn't there as I'm worried it could rust through and flood our bow locker. (There are bars welded accross meaning I can't get at it when reblacking). I'm considering getting plates welded over next time we dry dock.

If you don't have a BT in the tunnel then you don't need the bars over the oenings. They're just there to stop stuff fouling the BT prop.

I would suggest you just grind off the bars next time you black your boat and then you can clean the inside of the tunnel witha big chimney brush and black it with a mop.

Overplating the openings would be a mistake in my opinion. Firstly if you ever come to sell the boat the tunnel might be a selling point for for some potential buyers. More importantly, once overplated you will never know what's going on inside. You only need a tiny pinhole in the welding and then the tunnel will fill with water, eventually it could corrode through without your knowledge (until it's too late!)

Edited by blackrose

A smart-looking boat, though its livery is reminiscent of one of those shared-ownership syndicates. But bearing in mind that these boats are built in Poland to save on costs, the price seems steep at about £1,400 per foot.

I don't know whether this subject has been over-discussed previously a la pump-out v. cassette, but I notice that the saloon has only free-standing armchairs and no built-in storage space. Personally I'd never want a boat which did not have some fixed furniture with storage cupboards/ drawers beneath. What does the team think?

A smart-looking boat, though its livery is reminiscent of one of those shared-ownership syndicates. But bearing in mind that these boats are built in Poland to save on costs, the price seems steep at about £1,400 per foot.

I don't know whether this subject has been over-discussed previously a la pump-out v. cassette, but I notice that the saloon has only free-standing armchairs and no built-in storage space. Personally I'd never want a boat which did not have some fixed furniture with storage cupboards/ drawers beneath. What does the team think?

In addition to what you say, I much prefer trad layouts. But the original poster was looking for one of these so I thought it wise to post it to help in the search. Perhaps, if the boat isn't too far away from where he is, he can pop over and walk about (the Marina is just by the A50/A38 crossover, just down from Derby). I found - when we were looking - that there's nothing to beat actually getting onto the boats and walking through and beginning to get the feel of what works for you. We've now bought a little cracker and I KNOW we made the right choice!!

Don't get me wrong Jo, your post was indeed most helpful - I just hope that if he goes for this boat he negotiates the price keenly!

I recall your first posts a few months ago when you were excited about taking over your first boat. How is it going? Any pix?

Don't get me wrong Jo, your post was indeed most helpful - I just hope that if he goes for this boat he negotiates the price keenly!

I recall your first posts a few months ago when you were excited about taking over your first boat. How is it going? Any pix?

I'd reckon - if he wanted it - he should start negotiating at around £70k!! Because it's where it is, I'll know when it is sold and what it goes for ... I shall keep my eye on it!

I'll have to work out how to post pix! All is going very well - the boat is in its marina mooring, 20 minutes from home. It's just brilliant and the community down there is terrific. And I keep finding out that people I knew anyway in other parts of my life, turn out to be liveaboards locally too!).

Just to let you all know I have agreed to buy a boat,,,I cant tell you witch one as I'm waiting for a surveyor to look it over before I part with the dosh

the only person that knows-----Susssssssssh don't tell yet I don't want anything to go wrong

Thank you one and all,, for all your help and advice