Dangly fenders - poll

Chertsey

Dangly fenders  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Do you cruise with side fenders down?

• Yes, and I'm proud of it
    • Sometimes, but I'm a bit embarrassed about it
    • Certainly not!

Featured Posts

Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.

So, yes I have just joined in, but I did look at it yesterday. I am allowed you know.

Most assuredly. Let's have a good argument and enjoy it!

Only I'm really sorry but I have to go now.

Not at all.

I couldn't give a toss.

As a social scientist, I'm sure that you appreciate that man seeks freedom.

Freedom to do what he or she wants.

The attraction of the canals is that within limits, one can achieve a level of freedom.

Unfortunately, there appears to be a growing number of boaters who want others to conform to

what they perceive as the right way of boating.

Are you really interested in why people have fenders down or is it more a case of questioning the reasoning so it can be

challenged and such un-boaty behaviour corrected.

Why can't you just accept that underway, some boaters don't use fenders and some do.

For somebody who doesn't give a toss, you seem to be getting quite defensive!

Well Dave.

I don't think I have a grievance with you, but I don't give a toss about fenders.

I do give a toss about being told what I should do with my boat by other boaters over trivial matters.

Its the thin end of the wedge, isn't it.

It doesn't matter though because I'll do what I want anyway.

Why can't you just accept that underway, some boaters don't use fenders and some do.

But I do accept that 100% none of my posts have said otherwise. It is equally true though that my opinion has to be accepted as well ie that I think it is a risk using fenders when underway on a narrowboat and I think it looks wrong. That in no way says no one can do it by order of churchward it is just my opinion.

Well Dave.

I don't think I have a grievance with you, but I don't give a toss about fenders.

I do give a toss about being told what I should do with my boat by other boaters over trivial matters.

Can you say which post in this thread has tried to stop you doing what you want other than putting forward a different point of view?

Yes, next step is anarchy and the collapse of civilisation.

Come on Mark it is a light hearted poll that has, until now, provoked light hearted conversation with some interesting safety related observations.

Cheer up!

It's not meant to achieve anything, just be a snapshot of opinion of people on this forum and an opportunity to express opinions. I was interested to see that more people than I expected held the same view as me. I already do look around and see what people do in practice and I see a great many people with a great many dangly fenders. Still doesn't mean it's right.

I really am interested to know though, those who do leave them down - on a narrowboat - why? Is it because it's too much effort to take them off and put them on again, or is it because you believe they provide some much-needed protection to your boat, or for some other reason?

PS I thought Fuzzyduck's reason was the best so far.

In theory I cruise with them up. In practice I nearly always forget. I often leave them down in locks. I've never in 10 years been stuck in a lock becaused my fenders were down. I have, however, caught the bow button on the top gates of a lock when going up and shipped a fair bit of water before the paddles could be shut. Does this mean that one shouldn't cruise with button fenders on?

I would guess that at least 80% of the narrow boats around our way cruise with them down. In my opinion narrow boats are fairly ugly things anyway and whether or not the side fenders are down is aesthetically immaterial.

Well Dave.

It just seems that you have reacted in a rather defensive manner here.

You are free to not give a toss, and you are free to dangle your fenders if you wish.

Others are free to say that they look silly, that they are dangerous and that they are of no practical use.

......... I have, however, caught the bow button on the top gates of a lock when going up and shipped a fair bit of water before the paddles could be shut. Does this mean that one shouldn't cruise with button fenders on?

Stem fenders (button or otherwise) shouldn't be securely chained in place, should rather be fitted with a 'fusible link' of maybe cord or an 'open' chain link - against just such an event.

Tim