pipe for making pipe-fenders

monobrow

Featured Posts

hi.

we'd like to make some pipe fenders (small piping hung over the side).

I know you can get these forn chandlers, but at £8-12 each, i'd rather go and buy a length of thick-walled, 2" - 3" diameter rubber pipe and make them myself.

the question is - where should i look for thick-walled, 2" -3" (ish) diameter rubber pipe ?

any help welcome.. thanks

Edited by monobrow

OK, let me be the first to ask.

Why do you want these?

See other fender threads ad nauseum... especially this recent one.

There's no advantage to having thin fenders unless you're planning to leave them on while cruising and in locks etc. This is bad and potentially dangerous practice. It's the job of rubbing strakes to protect the hull in these situations. The only real use for fenders on a narrowboat is to prevent the boat banging and scraping on concrete or piling and keeping you awake at night, and for that something more substantial works better.

Blimey, and I thought I might be being a bit hard on him.

Especially as I have found the best fenders for us are indeed the rubber tube type ones. I don't think the OP said he was going to cruise with them on.

I don't know where you will find that tubing. It isn't ordinary rubber pipe.

Richard

Especially as I have found the best fenders for us are indeed the rubber tube type ones. I don't think the OP said he was going to cruise with them on.

I don't know where you will find that tubing. It isn't ordinary rubber pipe.

Richard

They certainly work fine for us when we moor up...

PC

To be honest, we have a set of them on the boat, which is basically all we use.

- Most of the time we're 3ft out and sat on the bottom anyway, but if we are against a bank they seam to work well enough and can also be used below water as they dont float.

The inflatable ones are ok, but the cost a fair bit, get poped and dirty and end up useless. Rope fenders are even more money, wear out, and then fall apart or get nicked. What are rubbing strakes for anyway?

Daniel

Alkathene pipe AKA MDPE, comes in blue , black and yellow. Find a town having new gas or water pipes installed, there will be loads of offcuts 50-60mm diameter. ASK though.

I've got a stack of 60mm in bright blue if you're interested and near South Yorks. I'm sure I could spare a bit.

Alkathene pipe AKA MDPE, comes in blue , black and yellow. Find a town having new gas or water pipes installed, there will be loads of offcuts 50-60mm diameter. ASK though.

I've got a stack of 60mm in bright blue if you're interested and near South Yorks. I'm sure I could spare a bit.

I think the op is refering to the rubber type like this

165FND000003_150.jpg

Although if your really worried about uneven edges maybe somthing like this is more suitable.

product3.jpg

Daniel

I think the op is refering to the rubber type like this

165FND000003_150.jpg

Daniel

Those are the best source of the rubber tube for fenders I have found. The tube is excellent but the rope is appalling! Half an hour with a bit of rope, a swedish fid and some whipping and you have yourself a nice fender.

Richard

If you google Walker Rubber & Plastic you will find a supplier of extruded rubber pipe to your specification who doesn't insist on a minimum order quantity. Ask about stock sizes (OD & ID in mm) first as this will be cheaper. They will cut to any length you want. You will have to cut the rope and put it through yourself.

They look silly and serve no useful purpose. Why do you want to look like an ignorant newby?

S

Some people are so quick to be judgemental! I guess they just can't help themselves.

Edited by blackrose

Floating in the cut,chucked in a skip or dumped on the "not sure what to do with this stuff"at some works or other.All mine came from these sources and they are used when moored in the line up at Hawne or when moored alongside some other boat.The rope they hang on,various garish colours, all found as well.No exspense spared ,none whatsoever !!!!!