Mastervolt Alternator

Midnight

Featured Posts

Because they have some "expensive rubbish" installed that monitors the system and tells them whether it is.

I reckon the average person can actually learn enough to know what's happening plus more without the need for "expensive rubbish".

BUT the lure of "expensive rubbish" is hard to resist. :lol:

cheers,

Pete,

So Gibbo.... I reckon I now have a superior and cheaper system to your adertised 'better system'.

Why....because I have no aditional electronics to fail ...I've been advised by an expert (namely yourself) that I cant get better than a 14.5 volt charging alternator and I've fitted 2...so no link between the 2 no voltage drop...3ft cables...and guess what if one fails I can carry on fairly normally anyway...I just swap my alternator plugs around occasionally.

So for the same cost I have a 'failsafe system' thats inherently more reliable.....can withstand total failure of an alternator or belt.

But the best bit is I have double the power..!!!!!!

I keep on asking.....but what the hell are these people doing thats so different to me and the missus. Are They running Internet Servers ... have fitted a 240v houshold electric cooker...Immersion heater... I dont understand ....what can you do on a narrowboat thats so electrically demanding.

So Gibbo.... I reckon I now have a superior and cheaper system to your adertised 'better system'.

Why....because I have no aditional electronics to fail ...I've been advised by an expert (namely yourself) that I cant get better than a 14.5 volt charging alternator and I've fitted 2...so no link between the 2 no voltage drop...3ft cables...and guess what if one fails I can carry on fairly normally anyway...I just swap my alternator plugs around occasionally.

NO voltage drop?

Have you measured it?

Have you measured the drop on the -ve?

Do you have a separate cable for the -ve from the battery to the alternator or is it through the engine block?

out of curiosity just how thick is the cable from the alternator to the batteries?

I have yet to see a system that cant be improved even my own.

I keep on asking.....but what the hell are these people doing thats so different to me and the missus. Are They running Internet Servers ... have fitted a 240v houshold electric cooker...Immersion heater... I dont understand ....what can you do on a narrowboat thats so electrically demanding.

Fridge/freezer, hair dryer, stereo, microwave, TV, Video a lot depends on if you live on it or its just a holiday boat.

When we are away there is no problem with power if we move every day, however sitting in one place for a while means that I have to run the genset every day to keep the batteries charged (it could be every couple of days but I prefer a shorter period every day). The Fridge /Freezer is the biggest consumer of electrical power on the boat over a 24hr period unless I put the stereo on :lol:

Edited by idleness

I was referring to aditional connections etc with the relay when i said no voltage drop...You get some voltage drop no matter what...all wire has a resistance..

Yes I do have seperate pos and neg wires....to both sets of batteries and alternators...wire size is bloody thick....came from some forklift truck stuff we had...its very good because its fine multi stranded...about 1/2 inch thick...an no its not all insulation. The only one different to that is the starter alternator...which has a smaller +ve . Mainly because its in a harness and its not so important...thats just a bit bigger than normal; car size would be.

I cant see how it can be improved....well not now I've read Big 'G's stuff - I was genuinely enquiring if it could, oh well, have to be more careful with terminology next time.

I cant see how it can be improved....well not now I've read Big 'G's stuff - I was genuinely enquiring if it could, oh well, have to be more careful with terminology next time.

Normal forklift cable is either 25 or 35sqmm which on a 12v system with a half decent alternator will give you an appreciable voltage drop at charging current.

So changing it to 50sqmm will improve the system immediately better would be 70sqmm.

Think it may be an eye opener for you to measure your voltage drop when the batteries are not fully charged. and the alternator is charging them.

Can I come and listen to your stereo some time please?

Its only a little stereo, all old technology, Quad 34/405 a pair of near field studio monitors and a self powered 10" sub bass.

Edited by idleness

I cant see how it can be improved

Please notice that "I can't see how" is not the same as "it is not possible".

I also have a dead simple system and am a fairly minimal user of electric power. My pumps work, my lights don't go dim, I need no improvement. That does not mean however that others may not need to make the very best of the available generating capacity. I could probably increase your charging by at least 25% in an afternoon, but why? you don't need it. Some do, and "expensive rubbish" stops being rubbish when it is selected as an answer to a demonstrable problem by a professional who understands the issues. It stops being expensive when it has a marked effect. Nothing is a panacea, one boat may have a BIGADVERT charge controller fitted and it helps not one jot, another may find persistant power problems eliminated. The trick is to have someone who knows their stuff to decide what's best.

Normal forklift cable is either 25 or 35sqmm which on a 12v system with a half decent alternator will give you an appreciable voltage drop at charging current.

So changing it to 50sqmm will improve the system immediately better would be 70sqmm.

I think you need to see this cable.....I've not seen anything thicker or more appropiate. Its not off the truck itself...its off the charge leads.

We have an electric only fridge aswell....I must admit I turn that off and leave the door open when boat is left standing for any time. If I lived aboard and wanted all this electric stuff I would make sure I had a land line...its common sense....if your a heavy leccy user - surely. I mean whats the point in trying to run electric fridges, vacuum cleaners, and washing machines off 4 piddly 12voilt batteries.

I assume you mean continuous cruiser.......well that sort of answers your own question doesn't it...? But Like I said a 240v genny that also charges your batteries whilst its running...well thats what I've got...guess it depends how long a CCer actually stays put.

I think you need to see this cable.....I've not seen anything thicker or more appropiate. Its not off the truck itself...its off the charge leads.

I don't think I do

I have just been to check the cables on our 2ton 7.5m forklift.

The charging cables are 16sqmm about 10mm in diameter. The cables connecting the batteries to the motor are thicker but I CBA to lift the seat to look

so unless you got it of an enormous forklift charger, I rest my case, your system could be easily improved.

Would you like me to take a piccy of it....its 14mm thick..it consists of 12 seperately wound cables of 0.15 thick wire....its very flexible and takes a huge amperage. I dont know the actual spec...but I could work it out.

Trust me...your not going to improve the wiring.

Our truck is ancient....they may not be the original leads and they are certainly overkill...especially at 3ft long....I have a length in my hand now....I'll cut a bit off and photograph it if you like.

rest all the cases you like. :lol:

Would you like me to take a piccy of it....its 14mm thick..it consists of 12 seperately wound cables of 0.15 thick wire....its very flexible and takes a huge amperage. I dont know the actual spec...but I could work it out.

Our truck is ancient....they may not be the original leads and they are certainly overkill...especially at 3ft long....I have a length in my hand now....I'll cut a bit off and photograph it if you like.

Please post a photo preferably with something else in the picture to give a size comparison. I'd be interested to see what it is.

Edited by idleness

rest all the cases you like. :lol:

Please post a photo preferably with something else in the picture to give a size comparison. I'd be interested to see what it is.

This is getting out of hand

I don't think I do

I have just been to check the cables on our 2ton 7.5m forklift.

The charging cables are 16sqmm about 10mm in diameter. The cables connecting the batteries to the motor are thicker but I CBA to lift the seat to look

so unless you got it of an enormous forklift charger, I rest my case, your system could be easily improved.

!0mm dia is 78sq mm

Edited by nb Innisfree

One thing you'll find out about Gibbo is that he NEVER tries to sell you any of his kit on this forum. Like most members, if he can help a member to remotely diagnose a problem he will do but as Arnot stated (I think it was Arnot) your problem sounds like it needs a site visit.

Tony :lol:

Wasn't thinking of Gibbo when I wrote that it was the mastervolt men who are involved in my specific problems. Gibbo and Arnot have been brilliant here and I appreciate all useful comments. Some users obviously just want to get their views across. Fine but I wish they would start their own thread to do that and not fill this one with irrelevant rantings which don't help me understand the problem I have right now.

Wasn't thinking of Gibbo when I wrote that it was the mastervolt men who are involved in my specific problems. Gibbo and Arnot have been brilliant here and I appreciate all useful comments. Some users obviously just want to get their views across. Fine but I wish they would start their own thread to do that and not fill this one with irrelevant rantings which don't help me understand the problem I have right now.

I sympathise.

At risk of repeating myself, when 'your man' comes to take a look we can all understand better, but my advice to you at this stage would be to thank him very much, make a note of everything he's told you/measured/seen then seek advice before parting with any more money, however tempting it might be to get it fixed asap.

Good luck,

Sorry only a pic from phone...batteries flat in one camera and cant find the other.

But thats a std cable that comes from a chandlers next to it.

Looks like a 25/6 lug that has been drilled out to 8mm that would make that cable 50sqmm having said that it looks like it could be aluminium cable not copper and the voltage drop is 1.5 times that of copper :lol:

Off now so as not to induce any more fred drift

I sympathise.

Cheers!

At risk of repeating myself, when 'your man' comes to take a look we can all understand better, but my advice to you at this stage would be to thank him very much, make a note of everything he's told you/measured/seen then seek advice before parting with any more money, however tempting it might be to get it fixed asap.

Good luck,

Sound advice which I will follow. He's coming on Wednesday so I'll repport back here - although by then this thread could be over 50 pages long.