Is it all in the name?

Greybeard

Featured Posts

Sitting on the front of the boat on Saturday afternoon chilling with a coffee when a couple who were looking for a mooring stopped for a chat.

During our conversation I asked them about their boat and this is where it all got a little surreal!

They hadn't yet bought a boat but were actively looking in fact the last one they looked at ticked all of the boxes bar one.

Right length, colour, shape, loved the layout and even under budget and they really liked it.

They didn't buy it though because Mrs. boat buyer (not being rude but I don't know them) didn't like the name of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was so taken aback that I didn't even ask what the name was that had cost someone a sale and didn't suggest that it could always be changed.

How strange is that.

Would you be put off buying by the name of a boat (keep it clean) even if everything else was spot on?

Wish I could signwrite.................

GB

Sitting on the front of the boat on Saturday afternoon chilling with a coffee when a couple who were looking for a mooring stopped for a chat.

During our conversation I asked them about their boat and this is where it all got a little surreal!

They hadn't yet bought a boat but were actively looking in fact the last one they looked at ticked all of the boxes bar one.

Right length, colour, shape, loved the layout and even under budget and they really liked it.

They didn't buy it though because Mrs. boat buyer (not being rude but I don't know them) didn't like the name of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was so taken aback that I didn't even ask what the name was that had cost someone a sale and didn't suggest that it could always be changed.

How strange is that.

Would you be put off buying by the name of a boat (keep it clean) even if everything else was spot on?

GB

Well, it wouldn't worry me, but as a mere male, it is outwith my remit to fathom the female mind.

How strange is that.

GB

Now I just have to know the name.

Damn you!

Talking of names, I just heard the worst boat name ever.

How strange is that.
Not really if the were of the opinion that it is (rightly or wrongly) bad luck to change the name.

What if it was called "The Dogs" registered at Bow Locks and they were god fearing persons.

If all there was to crticise about the boat was the name then I would buy it if in the market for one.

In fact that is not far off what we did. I wasn't that keen on our boats name when we were looking but since it was good every where else and met a combination of my and my wifes wants so we bought it. We may rename the boat when we are ready to get it repainted but as it is sign written on the name stays just now.

Certainly wouldn't worry me - happy to change the name.

The ceremony you have to go through to change it sounds like a right good excuse for booze up to me - OK the boat gets some of the champers but so do the re-naming party!!

Certainly wouldn't worry me - happy to change the name.

The ceremony you have to go through to change it sounds like a right good excuse for booze up to me - OK the boat gets some of the champers but so do the re-naming party!!

A freind of mine is about to rename his boat Dogs Danglies

:lol: Mick

How strange is that.

GB

I blame Mr boat buyer for having no balls. No woman tells me how to do the housework! :lol:

I really did not like the name of our boat when we bought it and sanding out the back panel and having it re painted with a new name was the first thing we did. Interestingly the previois owner had done exactly the same thing, so it has had three names in it's 28 year life.

First Name :- Narrow Squeak , how naff is that?

Second name:- Napton , sounds too much like naff to me.

Current name :- Helvetia, a long established family connection name.

Would I care if a new owner changed it again, no not at all. In fact if I was having a new boat built, I would change the name of mine before I sold it so that I could use Helvetia again.

Edited by David Schweizer

I really did not like the name of our boat when we bought it and sanding out the back panel and having it re painted with a new name was the first thing we did. Interestingly the previois owner had done exactly the same thing, so it has had three names in it's 28 year life.

Would I care if a new owner changed it again, no not at all. In fact if I was having a new boat built, I would change the name of mine before I sold it so that I could use Helvetia again.

We used to know a guy who lived on a boat called Napton (I think it also had Maryhill locks signwritten on it ) and we have often wondered what happenned to him and his boat. He came from Glasgow and lived on the boat with his dog and the last time we saw him and stopped for a chat, he was not in good health. All I can remember about the boat was that the seating area at the front was covered in red velvet and was in an unusual shape. The chap was called Ray Gardiner (or Gardner) . Is this the same boat by any chance?

haggis

David - I take it you've read all on here:-

http://boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm

If not you're doomed :lol:

:lol:

We used to know a guy who lived on a boat called Napton (I think it also had Maryhill locks signwritten on it ) and we have often wondered what happenned to him and his boat. He came from Glasgow and lived on the boat with his dog and the last time we saw him and stopped for a chat, he was not in good health. All I can remember about the boat was that the seating area at the front was covered in red velvet and was in an unusual shape. The chap was called Ray Gardiner (or Gardner) . Is this the same boat by any chance?

haggis

No not the same boat, There are actually quite a few boats named Napton. Our boat was owned by the Tendimus Society from 1982 until the early 1990's, then by Braunston Canal Services (the original builders) until 1997, and by us since then.

David - I take it you've read all on here:-

http://boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm

If not you're doomed :lol:

:lol:

I haven't read that particular one, but I know all the mythology. When we bought the boat, Balliol Fowden asked us whether we would be retaining the name, to which we replied "No"

"It's very unlucky to change a boat's name" he stated, to which my wife responded " Well you did it!" His face was picture.

Edited by David Schweizer

When we were looking there was a boat being advertised called BoJo. It was a lovely wee boat, but I was quite relieved that it was too small for our needs, because having a boat named after the current Mayor of London would have been unbearable :lol: Lovely boat though - I expect the new owners are very pleased with it, so long as they're not Londoners!

I'm not really going to go into the ins and outs of the "bad luck" thing except to say I understand it only applies to vessels of the sea, and that many working narrow boats changed their names.

When I bought Ripple, I had every intention of changing the name to Magpie. However, when I found that Ripple was named after a village in Kent rather than an innocuous wave I decided not to.

My ceremony would have involved taking the name plate off, daubing a new name on, and sinking a few scotches (any excuse for the latter!)

I am now confused. I had previously read that you should keep the old name on the boat somewhere. Has anyone else read that as I can't remember where I read it and we want to change the name of our boat. :lol:

My understanding is that all traces of the old name requires removal...

I'm not really going to go into the ins and outs of the "bad luck" thing except to say I understand it only applies to vessels of the sea,

Yes, look what happened to us when we inherited a boat with a changed name :lol:

Renaming ceremony complete and our luck apperas to be changing. :lol: