Little houses on poles

Mac of Cygnet

Featured Posts

At intervals between Goole and Knottingley on the Aire and Calder there are these things like little houses on poles. About 15ft in the air, about 1ft x 1ft x 18ins, with an open door 6ins by 4ins on one side and a bolted door 6ins square on the other, sometimes one facing the canal and sometimes the other. I saw about a dozen, but as you can see the one I photographed is No 71. Of course, nestboxes springs to mind, but for what? Ducks would have abit of a squeeze getting in, and anyway they seem to manage without this sort of thing elsewhere. Anyone know what they are designed for?

Mac

IMGP1209.jpg

IMGP1211.jpg

At intervals between Goole and Knottingley on the Aire and Calder there are these things like little houses on poles. About 15ft in the air, about 1ft x 1ft x 18ins, with an open door 6ins by 4ins on one side and a bolted door 6ins square on the other, sometimes one facing the canal and sometimes the other. I saw about a dozen, but as you can see the one I photographed is No 71. Of course, nestboxes springs to mind, but for what? Ducks would have abit of a squeeze getting in, and anyway they seem to manage without this sort of thing elsewhere. Anyone know what they are designed for?

Barn Owls?

Sorry, but I have seen barn owls, and there is absolutely no way one could get through the door.

The Barn Owl Trust recommends a 5" square entrance hole in Barn Owl nesting boxes.

I saw some of these pole mounted boxes down the Nene near Wellingborough a few years ago, the sight of the adult barn owl soaring over the field, plucking unsuspecting rodents from the ground and returning them to the nest box with the chicks looking out expectantly was really impressive.

the Barn Owl trust says:

Entrance hole: minimum size 100mm x 100mm, optimum size 100mm x 130mm, maximum size 150mm x 150mm.

Using Barn Owls for Rodent Control by Tom Hoffman (USA) says

The entrance should be no more than six inches in diameter to keep out great horned owls. I prefer a five inch hole. I even have several boxes with openings less than that, and the owls use them season after season. (In fact, a man I know in Stockton CA, who insists that a hole diameter greater than three and three-fourths inches puts the owls in danger!) The entrance should be located fairly near the floor of the box to provide access for the young, unless you provide a means of enabling the young to scramble up to it, such as cleats or a perch inside the box.

The Barn Owl Trust recommends a 5" square entrance hole in Barn Owl nesting boxes.

I saw some of these pole mounted boxes down the Nene near Wellingborough a few years ago, the sight of the adult barn owl soaring over the field, plucking unsuspecting rodents from the ground and returning them to the nest box with the chicks looking out expectantly was really impressive.

I'll bet the unsuspecting rodents were less than impressed :lol:

You'd be surprised at the tiny gaps some animals can squeeze through. An owl may look big but a lot of that is feathers which once compressed reduce its apparent size considerably.

That is just like me. I might look big from the outside but inside I am just the skinny 8 year old that I always woz.

K :lol:

OK, OK, the consensus seems to be owls. I hadn't even considered them, assuming that the expenditure involved in erecting the best part of a hundred of these over a large area must mean some sort of commercial shoot was involved. Round where I live only pheasants would warrant that sort of outlay.

On the Locks and Quays TV programme featuring Mathew Corbett, there was one episode which had an interview with a wildlife bod from BW who spoke about these boxes which had been installed to provide habitat for Barn Owls. I think they have been up for about 2 years or so.

I'm sure BW in Leeds will be able to give more details.

Howard