Picking Blackberries - boaty style

kiki

Featured Posts

I have wanted, for so long now, to try our hand at blackberry wine. Of course the brambles along the towpath are picked clean by now but on Saturday we took Twakkie out to stretch her legs - just to Fairfield and back as weather was horrible. The canal side was like the hanging gardens of Babylon. So because of the lack of other boats on the cut, we manage to wedge the nose of Twakkie against the wall, the bum against the towpath and there was me, with cycling gloves rubber gloves and old t-shirts around my arms standing on the pointy end, picking as many as we like.

As I type we have 10 liters of wine brewing away happily - a productive day in the end.

Have to sample it when its ready. Me and BH found some cherry trees about 3 yrs ago and we have had some very nice black cherry wine off as a result,but always makes me fall over :lol:

Generally the Blackberry crop seems to be poor this year but the best ones always seem to be on the opposite side of the canal - having a boat can be an advantage!

We once stripped a laden sloe bush on the offside of the K&A in five minutes flat. Two pickers working from the well deck and two from the roof made very short work.

MP.

We did the same with a Damson tree while in a lock on the Aylesbury - there is bounty a plenty on the canals at this time of the year . . .

In the days before they started butchering the offside trees, I used to go along the cut with a washing basket strapped to the roof and the crab apples picked themselves.

I love it.....have basket, will go cruising next weekend :lol:

I have wanted, for so long now, to try our hand at blackberry wine. Of course the brambles along the towpath are picked clean by now but on Saturday we took Twakkie out to stretch her legs - just to Fairfield and back as weather was horrible. The canal side was like the hanging gardens of Babylon. So because of the lack of other boats on the cut, we manage to wedge the nose of Twakkie against the wall, the bum against the towpath and there was me, with cycling gloves rubber gloves and old t-shirts around my arms standing on the pointy end, picking as many as we like.

As I type we have 10 liters of wine brewing away happily - a productive day in the end.

I just made some damson wine to take onto the boat when its built. How do you go on with the fermenting and suchlike as a live aboard home brewer, doesn't the sediment keep getting stirred up, and do I gather that the engine cabin might be an ideal temperature for bubbling demijohns, or too hot?

How do you go on with the fermenting and suchlike as a live aboard home brewer, doesn't the sediment keep getting stirred up, and do I gather that the engine cabin might be an ideal temperature for bubbling demijohns, or too hot?

Narrowboats are far more stable than you might think so I've never had a problem with sediment getting disturbed.

By the side of the rayburn was perfect, for fermenting conditions, on our boat.

Narrowboats are far more stable than you might think so I've never had a problem with sediment getting disturbed.

By the side of the rayburn was perfect, for fermenting conditions, on our boat.

That's good to know, thanks. Im looking forward to collecting and preserving.

I collected so many yesterday that I don't know what to do with them! I'm thinking some kind of cake, or tart... mmm

Where we are, on the River Cam, its remote and abundant enough not to need a boat to go gathering but I do remember wishing I had time to stop while we were on the GU last year, with the offside of the canal just dripping with berries!

I collected so many yesterday that I don't know what to do with them! I'm thinking some kind of cake, or tart... mmm

Where we are, on the River Cam, its remote and abundant enough not to need a boat to go gathering but I do remember wishing I had time to stop while we were on the GU last year, with the offside of the canal just dripping with berries!

You can't beat a a nice big tart :lol:

Generally the Blackberry crop seems to be poor this year but the best ones always seem to be on the opposite side of the canal - having a boat can be an advantage!

And having a shallow drafted one an even greater advantage in this case!

Unless a member of the CWDF manic, or maniacal ?, (or even "extreme" ??), speed club comes past, of course........

We await the tasting!

This year I have made about 2lb of blackberry jam, 2lb of blackberry and apple, 1lb of seedless blackberry jam and a couple of blackberry crumbles. Just got to get some clotted cream and make some scones then I will be having heaven on a plate this weekend!!! :lol:

Wot no wine!!??

Brilliant blackberries around here this year, along the river bank: 6 lb Jam, 2 demijohns of Blackberry and 2 of Elderberry wine bubbling away, loads of crumbles, Blackberry smoothies (chuck em in a liquidiser, milk and a bit of sugar - yummeroonie!) and bags full in the freezer for more pies later.

This morning I picked a bag of sloes to put in the freezer for a bit - as you are supposed to pick them after they have been frosted - so that I (may possibly - Hic) still have some Sloe Gin for Christmas.

This year I have made about 2lb of blackberry jam, 2lb of blackberry and apple, 1lb of seedless blackberry jam and a couple of blackberry crumbles. Just got to get some clotted cream and make some scones then I will be having heaven on a plate this weekend!!! :lol:

what weight of blackberries would i have to pick to get, say, 4 normal-sized jars of jam? i have no idea how much they reduce! mmm jam

what weight of blackberries would i have to pick to get, say, 4 normal-sized jars of jam? i have no idea how much they reduce! mmm jam

I don't really stick to a recipe but general rule of thumb -

add fruit to large pan, add water to level of fruit, boil/simmer until soft, add sugar (equal weight to fruit), boil/simmer for about 30/35 mins. check by putting tsp of mix on chilled saucer and leave in fridge for a few mins. check by pushing finger in cold mix and if it wrinkles - its ready.

I always keep my empty jars, just in case i find something I can turn into jam or pickle :lol: