Boat Safety Officer

africanqueen

Featured Posts

Not the African Queen of the The Hotel Inspector fame???

err...no, I dont believe so.

So I've rang up the majority of those in and around London, incluing Iver which is about 2 minutes away and they wont come into town. What is wrong with people. This is one of those stupid situations where I give up and the let them just try me!

err...no, I dont believe so.

So I've rang up the majority of those in and around London, incluing Iver which is about 2 minutes away and they wont come into town. What is wrong with people. This is one of those stupid situations where I give up and the let them just try me!

I can't believe that there aren't any BSS examiners in London - or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

There are loads of boats!

Or do they all sit in the suburbs saying, "me no want to go in to nasty city - bring your boat out to me"?

I can't believe that there aren't any BSS examiners in London - or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Or do they all sit in the suburbs saying, "me no want to go in to nasty city - bring your boat out to me"?

THat is what they seem to be saying Steve. SOme said that it would cost more to come into the city than it will to do the survey. How much is the bloody survey? Cant be much? I'll pay both. Bloody stupid. I cant get my mooring cert and insurance without this. I am stuck. I am carrying on wiht teh list that the above so kindly posted but am having no joy at all.

I will ask my neibours as well tonight.

hotelaq.jpg

Richard

Ohh Richard I wish. No, that's not me.

We needed a BSS when Fulbourne when it was in Aylesbury, after much frustration trying to find a local surveyor I got a friend who lives in in Stourport to come down to do it!

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

What do some of the 'fixed' house boats do. They must still be subject to a BSS?

Some of those around Regents Park and Paddington never seem to move, or do they tow them away every 4 years for blacking and inspection at a boat yard?

hi - again supprised that a phone round hasnt found one...

I used Roger Allsop from Comet Marine in Hemel Hempstead, and not sure how far he will roam,

but know;s he does do work done in Brentford - so half way there...

perhaps sounding out those that might and what it will take cost wise..

if they have to travel and that takes time - it costs,, so be positive about making it attractive?

good luck

Have you tried Chris Pengilley 07712985189.

He seems to range far and wide and I know he comes up to the Uxbridge area.

He usually does inspections at the weekend as part of a day out with his missus.

hope this helps

Rik

I'm the BSS examiner going to see African Queen. Thanks to WJM for the recommendation.

As to why she was having trouble getting someone to do it, it is probably that nearly all BSS examiners cannot make a full time living from the job, so they have to other things. Working in marinas or boatyards or completely different occupations like me. I am a BSS examiner and radio DJ.

To come into London is at least an hour's trip for any examiner. I live less than 10 miles away from African Queen as the crow flies, but it will take me up to 90 minutes to get there, more than £5 an hour to park or £11 for a train ticket.

As an example, I did a BSS at Tower Bridge moorings yesterday. I left the house at 09:30 and got back at 15:20. I'm lucky, I can afford the time, but many other examiners can't.

It's worse, if for whatever reason we have to make a return visit. Things are better now, but 4 years ago every boat I examined in the Little Venice area failed, which meant a return trip.

A car MOT costs around £50, you take the car to them and it takes around 30 minutes. The MOT certificate costs less than £1 to the tester.

A BSS takes at least one hour, the blank certificates are nearly £30 and if we have to travel a long way the real cost to you the boater should probably be £300-£400

I hope this helps to clarify the situation. If you have a friendly BSS examiner - look after him.

I'm the BSS examiner going to see African Queen. Thanks to WJM for the recommendation.

As to why she was having trouble getting someone to do it, it is probably that nearly all BSS examiners cannot make a full time living from the job, so they have to other things. Working in marinas or boatyards or completely different occupations like me. I am a BSS examiner and radio DJ.

To come into London is at least an hour's trip for any examiner. I live less than 10 miles away from African Queen as the crow flies, but it will take me up to 90 minutes to get there, more than £5 an hour to park or £11 for a train ticket.

As an example, I did a BSS at Tower Bridge moorings yesterday. I left the house at 09:30 and got back at 15:20. I'm lucky, I can afford the time, but many other examiners can't.

It's worse, if for whatever reason we have to make a return visit. Things are better now, but 4 years ago every boat I examined in the Little Venice area failed, which meant a return trip.

A car MOT costs around £50, you take the car to them and it takes around 30 minutes. The MOT certificate costs less than £1 to the tester.

A BSS takes at least one hour, the blank certificates are nearly £30 and if we have to travel a long way the real cost to you the boater should probably be £300-£400

I hope this helps to clarify the situation. If you have a friendly BSS examiner - look after him.

very understandable explanation and exactly to the issue i alluded too,, if your in a location thats expesive and takes time to service then that has to be built into the overall cost of the "fee", or else why would any service person etc get involved,,,

they will naturally opt for closer work that cost less to get too without the hassles,,

---

Beer time and lets hope a return visit isnt required !!!

again decent preperation helps all parties, get a result

We look after our local one :lol: . He still fails us :lol: