Birmingham

Night Hawk

Featured Posts

Just thought I'd share something with y'all!

You gotta come and see Gas Street Basin - it's like Venice!

After ten hours of slog from the bottom of the Shroppie via long straight Telford canals and derelict industrial rubble....we hit the centre of Birmingham...it's astounding!

You must brave the BCN and see this place!

We're moored outside a lapdancing club and a Tesco Metro!

A x

After ten hours of slog from the bottom of the Shroppie via long straight Telford canals and derelict industrial rubble....we hit the centre of Birmingham...it's astounding!

A x

:lol: Now you've got it too. It starts with loving Gas Street, then you get to like the industrial stuff, then you end up enjoying a slow slog to the end of the Bradley Arm...

Richard

Go see the Wyrely & Essington

Ah well...another day in the Basin....can't believe a 'chippie' is less than three foot away from our centre hatch! Anyhoo....anybody know of a local Launderette? Ten days worth of childrens' muddy clothes and the boat is starting to whiff a bit?

Ah well...another day in the Basin....can't believe a 'chippie' is less than three foot away from our centre hatch! Anyhoo....anybody know of a local Launderette? Ten days worth of childrens' muddy clothes and the boat is starting to whiff a bit?

there used to be one on broad st dont now if its still their now its probably a strip joint now with wet t-shirt comps and other soap related thrills feal free to add your own. failin that sherbourne wharf on the ozzell st loop used to have one to. launderette that is not wet t-shirt comp but hay you never no your luck :lol:

Sherborne Wharf on the Oozels street Loop. 5 mins walk away. Used them myself. Whatever you do, don't make the mistake that I did of walking a mile to the other one and trying to get a service wash.

Link to my blog post about said Laundrette

Or go down to Hockley Port on the Soho Loop (30 mins cruise?) - we have laundry and a visitor mooring there and are nice to visitors.

Sherbourne wharf also has one but if I recall it takes forever and costs a packet

The sanitary stations at Black Country Museum and Camp Hill both have washers and dryers that take BW cards. There is also a machine in the Sanitary Station at the end of the Engine Arm but the resident boaters think it is only for them - because it's free perhaps!

2 launderette options other than Sherborne (domestic machines).

Either walk (about 20 mins) or get a bus straight up Broad St onto the Hagley Road, i.e. straight over fiveways. anything that stops on the number 9 stop will get you there. About half mile further up on right hand side, there's the Vine Inn on the corner of Monument road, on the opposite side of monument road, about 4 doors down is a launderette.

Otherwsie Pablo's at the very end of king edwards' road, roughly equidistant. Kind Edwards' road starts by the NIA, down the back of the malthouse. It adjoins Cambridge St. Walk past the NIA and over the roundabout. Past the school and you'll see acorn close on the left. If you take the first right down the little ginnel, then walk diagonally across the, ahem, field, you can see a line of shops ahead and it's in that row. Mind that it's a bit of a rough neighbourhood and with the kids off shool they'll all be hanging around the shops. bagpuss won't go there on her own and I don't chastise her for it.

Last wash at Pablo's in 7.30,dunno about the one on Monument road.

If you got to Pablo's and Paul the owner's there tell him Dan off the boats sent you and he'll chew your ear off until the load's finished.

As an aside, isn't it curious that brummies prefix road names with "the" Being a northerner I've always found it unusual, even though I've fallen into it myself....

As an aside, isn't it curious that brummies prefix road names with "the" Being a northerner I've always found it unusual, even though I've fallen into it myself....

Not just Brummies, we Hampshire Hogs do it as well. Some I can understand - Hagley Road does go to or through Hagley (doesn't it?) so "the" Hagley Road makes sense to me. The road joining Havant and Waterlooville, in deepest Hampshire, is called "Hulbert Road". But no-one refers to it as that - it is always "THE" Hulbert Road, as in "go along the Hulbert Road". Except to confuse matters further, it isn't pronounced as spelt - it is always "the Horbert Road"

Kevin

(nb sensible boat question follows in next positing before being banned for being totally off topic)

A x

I've been to both places, and, with the greatest of respect, there is no similarity.

There is no "Legs 11" in Venice. :lol:

Not just Brummies, we Hampshire Hogs do it as well. Some I can understand - Hagley Road does go to or through Hagley (doesn't it?) so "the" Hagley Road makes sense to me. The road joining Havant and Waterlooville, in deepest Hampshire, is called "Hulbert Road". But no-one refers to it as that - it is always "THE" Hulbert Road, as in "go along the Hulbert Road". Except to confuse matters further, it isn't pronounced as spelt - it is always "the Horbert Road"

Kevin

(nb sensible boat question follows in next positing before being banned for being totally off topic)

Not just roads, I was bought up in Stourbridge in the Black Country and went to school near Lye except that it was known to locals as 'The Lye', never found out why.

Tim