Satelite tv Dome

Mr Who

Featured Posts

You know the type that is a dome...

Yeah, the raodpro stand at preston brook had one, they had one on display with a clear dome (most have white domes) it was so cool, they where using at the time, and he turn the base round, and it tracked the signal, then i 'reset' it and it had to refind it from scrach, great funn to watch.

- Also gary peacock installs tracking saterlights, but he uses a diffrent one, proberly worth talking to him about it. Even if only to ask him why he uses another brand.

Daniel

Edited by dhutch

The dome is only there to make it look nice, inside as Daniel saw on the demo model, is a 'normal' dish. The standard dome is white but they say you can paint it to match the boat. The dome is usually permanently fixed to the boat.

The brother-in-law has a large motor home, slightly irrelevant but he says it is good fun on sites to watch others arrive and the first thing they do, if they have a dish fitted, is to raise it and see if they get a signal then drive backwards and forward if they cannot.

This would be a bit difficult with a boat, apparently even a tree can stop reception, think I will go for a non-fixed model.

The dome is only there to make it look nice, inside as Daniel saw on the demo model, is a 'normal' dish.

Well, a normal tracking dish.

- its bit more surfisticated than you standard sky dish!

I guess the idea behind the dome is to protect the moving parts of the dish, which means they dont have to make it able to withstand knock/bumps etc, or to look pritty. (i think its gorgous, and would deffonatly try and get a clear one, but thats me!)

Daniel

Infomation and prices from.

http://www.ledgardbridge-boatcompany.com/Satellite/

CAMOS 40CM SAT-DOME £1700.00

D3102.jpg

f you want to watch TV , even when your vehicle is moving, here?s the equipment you need. The sat-dome is compact in size, light in weight, reliable in operation and incredibly easy to operate and install: there?s just one co-ax cable to run. Even if the in-motion facility isn?t needed, the system?s simplicity, neatness, low power-consumption and ease of installation and use make it an attractive alternative to conventional dish systems.

MAGICSAT 2002A £1249.00

Magicsats.jpg

MAGICSAT 2002A has full motorised search facility which allows the user to lock-on, at the touch of a button from a remote handset, to any satellite transmitting over Europe.

In approximately 30 seconds the MAGICSAT has opened and alighned itself precisley to give clear, sharp TV images in any one of 500 pre-stored channels.

To receive SKY digital broadcasts you will need to add a SKY DIGIBOX available separately.

Daniel

Any satellite dish is only a piece of shaped metal that focus's a signal back to the actual receiver, even a dustbin lid could be used.

Daniel I do not deny it looks good and also hides the dish but the signal can be received a lot cheaper.

Are you sure you can paint the Camos, as the man on the demo at the show said you could not paint it.

30197[/snapback]

When i'm out and about hiring NB's I take a smaller (430mm wide) satellite dish, which I brought from ebay including a tripod for £25. After about 2-3 times practicing at home I can now set up the satellite in around 1-2 mins sometimes less.

I use a standard 240v digibox (second hand again from ebay) a compass and a signal meter. Total cost under £100. Works just as well as any home system and is very easy to set up. Less bulky, easy to take apart and put back together in minutes if need be. I usually position the dish and tripod on the towpath near or over a mooring rope so folk can see the dish and not fall over the mooring rope

The motorised ones would be great but cannot justify spending £1700 where £100 system one will do the job also less to break down. Only one down side pain in the bum when it raining and you OH is morning about missing the soaps!

Are you sure you can paint the Camos, as the man on the demo at the show said you could not paint it.

30197[/snapback]

Thought I saw a notice saying it could be painted, at the IWA Prestbrook.

Have to careful which type of paint you used.

Only one down side pain in the bum when it raining and you OH is morning about missing the soaps!

30200[/snapback]

Simple answer, if the OH will let you, train the OH to do it themselves.

"You want to watch the soaps do it yourself" then duck or go and set it up for them.

Any thing for a quiet life.

Edited by bottle

This is in my view the best dish on the market for mobile use very basic and compact but works really well.

Kerstan Mini Dish

Sat TV aboard can be done very cheaply the Gucci gear is nice and easy to operate and very flash but a visit to the car boot sale can get you viewing for under twenty quid! Digibox receivers can be picked up for peanuts along with the dish, you have to work out some kind of mount for the dish but that's simple enough.

If you have a receiver at home just take it with you on the boat all you need is a dish the one I recommend is very small 30cm and performs better than a true sky dish. If you can't afford one of them then have a look on the car boot sales or look on ebay you can buy them new for around £15.00.

A signal meter makes alignment easier but with a bit of messing it's quite easy without even this bit of kit because the digibox has it's own built in signal strength meter.

Terrestrial TV on boats even with household type aerials will always tend to be poor after all boats tend to be low down and this is far from the best position to receive strong signals, Satellite however providing you have a clear line of site will give you excellent picture plus radio as well.

there is something new coming out.

I heard it on the radio this week.. free view is going to stop and something called free sat is replacing it ..... a joint venture between BBC and ITV .... due out before Xmas. might be worth waiting for this, as they say there will be cover everyware that free view does not cover.

Yep my system cost approx £15, use your mapbooks to work out where south east is and you don't even need a compass or signal finder. Strength and quality signals are available on the screen in setup menu. :lol:

Sue on narrowboat No Problem did a excellent write up on how easy it is.

http://www.choiceforum.co.uk/blog/2005/04/...no-problem.html

I heard it on the radio this week.. free view is going to stop and something called free sat is replacing it ..... a joint venture between BBC and ITV .... due out before Xmas. might be worth waiting for this, as they say there will be cover everyware that free view does not cover.

30219[/snapback]

I purchased my free sat card from www.freesatfromsky.com costs £20 runs for at least 3 years but allows you to view ITV, Channel and Channel 5 plus the other free channels except E4 currently. The other channel ie BBC are available without a sky card so it you love Eastenders and hate Corrie then your OK!

You can paint the radomes but you have to use paint without metal content.

The company I work for paints satellite communications radomes for yachts and naval ships who don't want the standard white.

Otherwise the metal in the paint acts as a screen and blocks the signal.

30219[/snapback]

Freeview is not going to stop. Freesat is an alternative to Freeview, needed because about twenty-five per cent of the country can't receive a Digital Terrestrial signal. One potential problem with the BBC/ITV Freesat (as opposed to Freesat from Sky), is that it will only get the channels which are broadcast "in the clear" ie unencrypted. At the moment, that doesn't include Channel 4 or any of its sister channels, or Five.

Give it five years then decide what buy but then wait another five years because it will all change again.

HDTV (high definition) is on the way so expect all the old/new to change.

Bah where's that cat I need a whisker 7.gif

Or, to summerise, its just a whole lot easyer to just sit and watch the stove burn while reading though last years newspaper.

30363[/snapback]

Thass wot Reader Digest and National Geografical are for. innit

Edit; and the bible for some I spose

Edited by Amicus

Or, to summerise, its just a whole lot easyer to just sit and watch the stove burn while reading though last years newspaper.

30363[/snapback]

good job you said that sam,i was just comparing the finiancal costs of the satelite systems or a new woman both of which are very expensive :lol:

Bought the mini sat dish painted in a blue colour to match the boat,then onto e-bay got a reciever and also bought a sat meter to help set it up.Drilled 1 hole on front of roof so dish on roof with screw securing it to stop any wind movement.Compass for 28deg s/east and stick Sky card in from home and were away,bottle of 1664 and Eurosport with world superbikes/Gp racing and it is all worthwhile i can assure you,when i go fishing the better half can watch her card and craft channel 664 so yes its a small expense but the picture quality is brilliant and we dont have Emerly moor bolted to the boat.

• 2 years later...
has anyone actually bought/used the magicsat 2002a?? i know i can "do it cheaper" but this seems so easy to use! and climbing on the roof everytime one of my daughters wants to watch tv after a long day at work just seems..well not for me!

your helps greatly appreciated

I have fitted a few and everyone likes them, if I was going down the route of having one I think that would be my choice.