Diesel in Canal

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

Yesterday there was a big slick of diesel where I was moored caused by a boater filling up from his own drums. I am sure he did not intend to spill quite as much as he did (at todays prices need to get every last drop in tank) but I have noticed more and more diesel in the canal since the law on red diesel changed is it just me has anybody else noticed increases in diesel spills?

When we've filled up at the marina and had a slight dribble in the cut, we have a bottle of 'no frills' washing up liquid and after a few squirts, the spilt fuel disperses....Not that we have many dribbles these days with the cost of the stuff!

Anyone else bother?

Edited by Night Hawk

In a fit of ecology, I recently bought a pack of pads that absorb oil. BUT they don't absorb water, so in the event of a spill I can throw a couple of pads onto the spill -problem solved.

Mike

In a fit of ecology, I recently bought a pack of pads that absorb oil. BUT they don't absorb water, so in the event of a spill I can throw a couple of pads onto the spill -problem solved.

Mike

I wonder what would be the most 'eco-friendly' option to deal with a fuel spill?

Mike

linky??? Sounds handy!

linky??? Sounds handy!

Hm I have some of those - no idea where they came from though. I reckon a car parts place might stock them? I need to get to Parkers this week to try and source my silly 24v bulbs (non standard size, think it's from a bus!) so I'll ask there and if they do have some I'll get you some before the banter if you like?

S

We fill our tank from containers. However careful you are you still get a few dribbles run down the side of the boat and into the water. Washing up liquid disperses any spills quickly. Another thing to note is that even a tiny spill makes a huge slick on the water.

linky??? Sounds handy!

Yeah sorry here it is

http://www.newpig.com/webapp/wcs/stores/se...-Pads-and-Rolls

I have about 70 pads surplus to req. that I can sell for £1 each plus postage or collect from mooring near Uxbridge Boat Centre

They also do a handy little sausage shaped pad that absorbs water BUT NOT diesel to put into your fuel tank for condensation.

Edited by NBMike

Please explain how it makes it worse - I thought that a few drops of washing up liquid did the job full stop.

It certainly does the job, by reducing the surface tension and allowing it to disperse into the water, enabling it to enter the food chain, as well as introducing even more chemicals.

Soaking it up removes it completely (though I have seen soak-up pads dumped in the hedgerow, too!)

Yeah sorry here it is

http://www.newpig.com/webapp/wcs/stores/se...-Pads-and-Rolls

I have about 70 pads surplus to req. that I can sell for £1 each plus postage or collect from mooring near Uxbridge Boat Centre

They also do a handy little sausage shaped pad that absorbs water BUT NOT diesel to put into your fuel tank for condensation.

Thanks, added to my favorites!... I know I'm still not on the water yet, but hey... we will be!!

Please explain how it makes it worse - I thought that a few drops of washing up liquid did the job full stop.

As a general rule the use of dispersants was stopped years ago. All dispersants do is, as their name suggests, move the oild on to somewhere else - it doesn't get rid of it.

The best way to tackle oil spills is containment and recovery and there are many ways to do this depending on the type of oil and the severity of the spill. However, diesel is quite volatile and the normal method is to allow it to evaporate naturally. Rcovery is only needed in very large spills and also of heavier oils.

Howard

Our filler is on the roof and if we spill any diesel when refuelling we soak it up with cotton waste (one of my favourite products) and we burn all spent cotton waste on the stove - a handfull of cotton waste soaked in diesel will usually be enough to boil a kettle sufficiently to make a cuppa . . .

A small quantity of diesel in the cut is best left well alone - eventually it will partially evaporate into the atmosphere and what remains will decompose. Adding more chemicals will only make things worse.