Manners Please!!

soffy

Featured Posts

Hi is it just us or are people using boats getting ruder and displaying very bad manners.

We have just come off the Oxford Canal and although we have met some lovely people (mostly liveaboards)

We have encountered some extremely rude and bad mannered utterly snobby people, who (if you are a liveaboard) consider you

nothing but tinkers and gypsies (we have had this said to our face at one lock whilst in a queue!!!!! ) Very nice love - thank you if you had waited a bit longer I would have read your palm for free!!!! HEHEHEHEHe :lol:

We have met time sharers who looked down their noses and refuse to pass the time of day and refuse to go near a lock with you incase you should scratch their paint work. :lol:

We met a boat who tried to queue jump at a lock because they wanted to get at some moorings on the otherside for the night

and well the list goes on.....

Please just because we live on our boat doesnt mean we are gypsies, just because we have lettices and tomatoes growing in pots instead

of huge pots full of flowers covering our boat doesnt mean we are hippies. Just because we say hallo and pass the time of the day - the least

you could do is smile and humour us and acknowledge our presence (sorry if I have spelt that wrong (not into spelling today).........

Boating is a wonderful way to live and a wonderful passtime so let good manners and politeness and consideration for the beauty around us .

Sorry everyone just had to get this off my chest.....Back on the GU now and straight away met nicer people......

Is it US !!!!!! :lol:

THRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRUMP!

i was on the nene this weekend,i must be lucky as i did not see an angry boater or someone hogging the lock moorings,plastic and steel all motoring up and down with a smile on their faces,politeness was abundant,even parents with their kids on the footpaths stopped to wave.

i was on the nene this weekend,i must be lucky as i did not see an angry boater or someone hogging the lock moorings,plastic and steel all motoring up and down with a smile on their faces,politeness was abundant,even parents with their kids on the footpaths stopped to wave.

It isn't a BW waterway, the rules are different. :lol:

Sue

Edited by Lady Muck

I have to say that during the first few days I spent on my boat I met nothing but lovely people who didn't care about their paintwork in the least. Even after explaining that I had no idea what I was doing, they'd happily share a lock with me and their shiney painted boats.

Perhaps it's just coming from the "real world" whatever that means, but the amount of goodwill I encountered on the cut was staggering compared to what you find on the average suburban street.

I have to say that during the first few days I spent on my boat I met nothing but lovely people who didn't care about their paintwork in the least. Even after explaining that I had no idea what I was doing, they'd happily share a lock with me and their shiney painted boats.

Perhaps it's just coming from the "real world" whatever that means, but the amount of goodwill I encountered on the cut was staggering compared to what you find on the average suburban street.

I totally agree - we've met a few occasions of mild rudeness but compared to our old life it's nothing. When one of us goes to the shops we quite often say "be careful of them English" (a reference to the film Witness for those too young to remember it!)

Boating is a wonderful way to live and a wonderful passtime so let good manners and politeness and consideration for the beauty around us .

hear hear. as jack nicholson put it 'why cant we all just - get along?'

ther's enough hassle in the world as it is without bringing it onto the rivers and cut.

cheers

capnthommo

Hi is it just us or are people using boats getting ruder and displaying very bad manners.

We have just come off the Oxford Canal and although we have met some lovely people (mostly liveaboards)

We have encountered some extremely rude and bad mannered utterly snobby people, who (if you are a liveaboard) consider you

nothing but tinkers and gypsies (we have had this said to our face at one lock whilst in a queue!!!!! ) Very nice love - thank you if you had waited a bit longer I would have read your palm for free!!!! HEHEHEHEHe :lol:

We have met time sharers who looked down their noses and refuse to pass the time of day and refuse to go near a lock with you incase you should scratch their paint work. :lol:

We met a boat who tried to queue jump at a lock because they wanted to get at some moorings on the otherside for the night

and well the list goes on.....

Please just because we live on our boat doesnt mean we are gypsies, just because we have lettices and tomatoes growing in pots instead

of huge pots full of flowers covering our boat doesnt mean we are hippies. Just because we say hallo and pass the time of the day - the least

you could do is smile and humour us and acknowledge our presence (sorry if I have spelt that wrong (not into spelling today).........

Sorry everyone just had to get this off my chest.....Back on the GU now and straight away met nicer people......

Is it US !!!!!! :lol:

Could'nt agree more! We've become liveaboards for two reasons. Firstly, the love of boating that stems back to childhood. Secondly, to escape the mayhem of modern life where there's a generation of self-centred, arrogant low life who could'nt care less whether they run you over in their shiney new cars (mainly Chelsea tractors and BMW's) or, jump the que to get in first. If this is the way things are heading on the cut then we're off to France or Ireland.

We've met some lovely people on our journey through the 'four counties ring'. One particular elderly gentleman who was accompanied by his 13 year old grandson was the epitome of good boating manners. His grandson who's father is a lockkeeper, would help any other boater at the locks. In fact, the lad dispayed more canal knowledge and courtesy than many of the older folk whom we met.

At bridge 18 on the Shroppie, we moored past the bridge allowing a safe distance for following boaters to pass, when another boater moored just behind us

(still giving space) only to be threatened by a thug on the opposite side of the canal, who appears to run what can only be described as a shanty town. This character had arranged for another boater to moor where the chap had just pulled in, so that he could conduct a repair for financial gain! The chap was told that if he left his boat there, the windows would be smashed. As the guy had medical problems, he decided to move on avoiding what was beginning to be an ugly scene of confrontation.

How can any individual claim exclusive mooring rights in order to conduct his 'business' on the tow path? The guy's name is Geoff and has a southern accent.

Indeed, it can only be a matter of time where he tries the same stunt with some 'city people', who may not be so accomodating as the previous boater :lol:

Let's all hope that genuine boaters will prevail on the cut and the influx of snobs and ill mannered folk decrease to a tolerable level ;)

Let's all hope that genuine boaters will prevail on the cut and the influx of snobs and ill mannered folk decrease to a tolerable level :lol:

Lets not forget that the influx of "snobs" are also paying the same fees as the rest. Suddenly get rid of them all and everybody elses fees sky rocket.

only to be threatened by a thug on the opposite side of the canal, who appears to run what can only be described as a shanty town. This character had arranged for another boater to moor where the chap had just pulled in, so that he could conduct a repair for financial gain! The chap was told that if he left his boat there, the windows would be smashed. As the guy had medical problems, he decided to move on avoiding what was beginning to be an ugly scene of confrontation.

That's really out of order and should be reported to BW, under their visitor inicident reporting scheme, it's unacceptable.

Lets not forget that the influx of "snobs" are also paying the same fees as the rest. Suddenly get rid of them all and everybody elses fees sky rocket.

Surely, by that logic, the fees should have gone down, when the "influx" started.

Could'nt agree more! We've become liveaboards for two reasons. Firstly, the love of boating that stems back to childhood. Secondly, to escape the mayhem of modern life where there's a generation of self-centred, arrogant low life who could'nt care less whether they run you over in their shiney new cars (mainly Chelsea tractors and BMW's) or, jump the que to get in first. If this is the way things are heading on the cut then we're off to France or Ireland.

We've met some lovely people on our journey through the 'four counties ring'. One particular elderly gentleman who was accompanied by his 13 year old grandson was the epitome of good boating manners. His grandson who's father is a lockkeeper, would help any other boater at the locks. In fact, the lad dispayed more canal knowledge and courtesy than many of the older folk whom we met.

At bridge 18 on the Shroppie, we moored past the bridge allowing a safe distance for following boaters to pass, when another boater moored just behind us

(still giving space) only to be threatened by a thug on the opposite side of the canal, who appears to run what can only be described as a shanty town. This character had arranged for another boater to moor where the chap had just pulled in, so that he could conduct a repair for financial gain! The chap was told that if he left his boat there, the windows would be smashed. As the guy had medical problems, he decided to move on avoiding what was beginning to be an ugly scene of confrontation.

How can any individual claim exclusive mooring rights in order to conduct his 'business' on the tow path? The guy's name is Geoff and has a southern accent.

Indeed, it can only be a matter of time where he tries the same stunt with some 'city people', who may not be so accomodating as the previous boater :lol:

Let's all hope that genuine boaters will prevail on the cut and the influx of snobs and ill mannered folk decrease to a tolerable level :lol:

Whilst sympathising with the chap who was threatened, surely this post should win the "most stereoyptes mentioned in a single post" award, for this month?

So far I've spotted Chelsea Tractors, BMWs, shanty town, city people, snobs....and there may be more.

Most impressive!

Whilst sympathising with the chap who was threatened, surely this post should win the "most stereoyptes mentioned in a single post" award, for this month?

So far I've spotted Chelsea Tractors, BMWs, shanty town, city people, snobs....and there may be more.

Most impressive!

So by the logic the poster is himself a snob?

Surely, by that logic, the fees should have gone down, when the "influx" started.

Most impressive!

Well pleased :lol: I'm glad to win anything, even for posting the most stereotypes mentioned :lol: Maybe I should have labelled them more acurately; such as 'D*ck heads. I was trying not to be too offensive in describing them as 'snobs' & 'city people'. Also, since when has the initials BMW been graded as a stereotype? or as you spelt it 'stereoyptes' :lol:

Carlt, are'nt you the plonker that believed the term 'short cut' when I was taking the p*ss in a previous post? Re: Refuse Truck Takes Short Cut on the Canal. Most Impressive :lol:

Edited by Doorman

Well pleased :lol: I'm glad to win anything, even for posting the most stereotypes mentioned :lol: Maybe I should have labelled them more acurately; such as 'D*ck heads. I was trying not to be too offensive in describing them as 'snobs' & 'city people'. Also, since when has the initials BMW been graded as a stereotype? or as you spelt it 'stereoyptes' :lol:

BMW drivers are allegedly rich and arrogant. The liveaboard next door to us drives one. He is neither of these things.

I didn't spell it that way, my fingers created a typo, while the brain was well aware of the correct spelling :lol:

I'm actually one of the worst, for stereotyping BMW drivers (as opposed to the machinery they "drive").

D*ckheads would have been far more accurate as I've met some very nice "city people" some of whom drive "Chelsea Tractors" but very rarely BMWs.

Edited by carlt

I didn't spell it that way, my fingers created a typo, while the brain was well aware of the correct spelling :lol:

I'm actually one of the worst, for stereotyping BMW drivers (as opposed to the machinery they "drive").

D*ckheads would have been far more accurate as I've met some very nice "city people" some of whom drive "Chelsea Tractors" but very rarely BMWs.

No probs, I'm off to the 'alehouse' now, to have some 'falling down water' and laugh at the 'yokels' jokes :lol:

I am quite calm usually, and have had a very stress free last 6 months so am almost horizontal. However, coming down the GU in the last two weeks, I, just for once, opened my mouth , as someone put both me,my boat, and my daughter and her friend in danger. We were coming to the bottom Ivinghoe lock and a windlass armed couple were sat with the bottom gate open,waiting. I entered the lock and the gate was closed behind me. I got up on the roof with the centre line but before I managed to even get my rope on the side , never mind get up the ladder, the paddles were opened. I shot up the ladder and tried to hold boat, but fore-end was swept across lock into opposite wall. My daughter and her friend, who enjoy locking, were on the front deck wondering what was going on. After hauling the boat back and letting the lock fill, I approached the couple and pointed at their nice (shiny) boat.

"Is that yours, would you like me to open the paddles for you when you get in"

...."No thats ok, we will do it ourselves"

......."Well, next time, don't bother doing it for someone else, you put me, my boat and my kids in danger" .......

"we know what we're doing, we've been doing this for a long time"

"%%@!!%%££&&**%%@@~#%%"

which roughly transalates to...... I've been doing it 30 years too, have a nice day

:lol:

I know it was out of character, as when we left the lock, my daughter and her friend said "" yeh, Go daddy""

with you all the way, they should at least wait for a signal or "ask", we've come across too many of this kind recently, next ones are in for a blasting!

Guzziman

p.s. this weekend someone tried to open the gate with the boat in the way - he had no idea what was in the lock and looked at me blank when I said "don't open the gate the boat is in the way" whilst I held the gate from opening, it really is like looking at and talking to (thick) brick walls.

Yes I do feel strongly about this!

I expect to be shot down over this, but... here goes anyway. (Sorry about the long post.)

Yes, some people give insufficient thought to others. Some people don't follow general guidelines and etiquette - perhaps because they are arrogant enough to think that they know everything and that their way of doing things is 'right'. I do wonder, however, if some of those people just haven't worked out WHY those guidelines and etiquette have arisen.

In the school where I teach the rules are there to ensure that pupils and staff are safe, or so that we can do our jobs efficiently, but often pupils think that they are there to make their lives difficult. Instead of shouting at them it is far more effective to explain to them why the rule was put there in the first place, and what the possible (which is not the same as 'likely' :lol: ) consequences of breaking it are. Yes, I know that we are talking about adults here, and not teenagers, but maybe some people just haven't worked out why we do somethings the way we do. Not long ago I was explaining something by Denham Deep to some complete beginners (almost their first lock - not the best one to have :lol: ) who were in danger of drowning themselves and their kids. Afterwards a bystander came up to me and said that he had his own boat, but hadn't previously realised some of the things that I had explained. Sometimes what is obvious to us is not necessarily obvious to others.

My second point is that people are often most sensitive about the things that they feel most insecure about. I have colleagues and friends who clearly think that we are bonkers travelling along the canal in a steel boat when we could be staying in a luxury hotel somewhere in the Med. That is not a problem to me, I am fairly secure in my self image, and am able to make my own decisions about what I want to be doing with my time. Other people are not necessarily so comfortable with themselves.

Imagine a couple who actually like boating, but whose friends think that they are barmy, and who are constantly making digs about the 'metal pipe in a ditch'. They may well have a shiny boat that looks from the inside like a luxury flat, but as far as their family and friends are concerned they are still messing about in a 'sewer tube'. This couple may well be very sensitive to anyone and any boat that makes them feel like they are part of some kind of gypsy community.

Now, before I get shot down, I am not saying that this entitles them to behave rudely to other people, however, my suggestion is that for some boaters, this may give a reason for their behaviour.

What is the solution to both of these problems?

I suggest tolerance and patience. Engage people at locksides and, where possible, patiently explain why we do certain things the way that we do - even if it is not an issue at the time. If I explain casually why I always ask for permission to raise the paddles from the steerer, then perhaps those people might be less likely to whack the paddles up for someone else further down the cut. If I engage the 'shiny boat' people in conversation about where they have been in their travels, perhaps they will feel more part of a community of boaters.

While it is satisfying, shouting loudly at people is very unlikely to have much effect for the future. People shut off any kind of thought when they feel under attack, and they start to justify themselves by considering that whoever shouted at them was just an uncouth yob. And before I get criticised - yes, this is an ideal, we all get heated at times (me too!), some people are just so dense that the only solution is beating around the head with a windlass :lol: .

like your last line.

Guzziman