Hob splashback

Trilby Tim

Featured Posts

I want to tile the area of wall behind the hob to form a splashback and protect the wall from the heat. What's the best way to go about it? I've heard of masterboard as a fire-proof insulation, can I stick that to the lining and then tile? What's the best way to hold it, screws, adhesive, both? What's the best tile adhesive to bond the tiles to it? How thick board do I need, and does anyone know of somewhere in Sheffield I can get it, I've looked at Wickes and B&Q and can't find it.

Cheers

If you have a Travis Perkins there, they should have some.

6 mm should be fine, and we usually screw it on.

Use a flexible adhesive for the tiles, and you can buy flexible grout too!

Ally

If you have a Travis Perkins there, they should have some.

6 mm should be fine, and we usually screw it on.

Use a flexible adhesive for the tiles, and you can buy flexible grout too!

Ally

I've seen it in B&Q.

T :lol:

I want to tile the area of wall behind the hob to form a splashback and protect the wall from the heat. What's the best way to go about it? I've heard of masterboard as a fire-proof insulation, can I stick that to the lining and then tile? What's the best way to hold it, screws, adhesive, both? What's the best tile adhesive to bond the tiles to it? How thick board do I need, and does anyone know of somewhere in Sheffield I can get it, I've looked at Wickes and B&Q and can't find it.

Cheers

Have you tried Sheffield Insulation? I used to get stuff off them until they closed my local branch.

I've used flexible tile adhesive or a grab adhesive when there was just a few tiles but it was easy and seems to have worked really well so might be tempted to just use that in future.

Rick

Cheers

B+Q Warehouses do Masterboard, but not the smaller ones, or at least that's what they told me. Not cheap stuff either, and unsurprisingly heavy given it's a cement particle board.

It's sold as a waterproof tile-backer board, so ideal for tiling to. We used it for a hearth for our Aga[-alike], and for surrounding it behind tiles.

I screwed it in place, then tiled as usual, with a decent flexilbe adhesive and grout.

I like Mapei stuff, but any really good quality products should be fine. The Mapei ultracolor grout is really nice to use - fine and smooth! :lol:

PC

Edited to add:

Here's a pic of some pieces of masterboard going in, from last year:

IMG00851.jpg

Edited by paulcatchpole

Is heat such an issue behind the hob that you need board as well as tiles?

Depends on the distance from the hob to the cabin side I'd guess. But it doesn't hurt to be safe.

T :lol:

Cheers

I'd stick the masterboard on with marineflex (PU adhesive/sealant similar to sikaflex), or you could just screw it to the wall. Then I'd stick the tiles to the masterbord with the red heat reistant silicone. You only need a blob on each corner and perhaps one in the middle of each tile. Then grout witha flexible grout. If you must use tile adhesive you'll have to prime the masterboard first with PVA or a porus surface primer because the porosity of the board draws the water out of the adhesive and reduces its efficiency.

Edited by blackrose

Thanks for the replies, useful as ever. I'm not sure if the board is necessary, but better safe than sorry. The hob instructions specify 55mm minimum from the wall, which I can just about comply with, but that's for a vertical wall, not a sloping inwards one, so I think it's worth giving it a bit of protection from the heat.

• 2 weeks later...
We used a piece of brushed stainless steel plate cut to size by a local steel fabricator. Then didn't have to worry about tiles and its easy to keep clean and good looking.

We did the same at home. I can't think why we haven't done the same on the boat.

Sue