Gas or electric for cooking on a new build...which one?

heyjude999

Featured Posts

"Now, as a rule of thumb, if you want your batteries to last longer than the contents of the fridge, you should never discharge them faster than 10% of the Ah rating, which means that unless you have a battery bank of at least 850Ah, using the microwave whilst the engine is stopped and you aren't on landline is a shortcut to needing new batteries."

I am not disputing what you say, I don't understand any of the science, but;

I have a very average set-up boat with 3 x 135 amp domestic batteries. I have been regularly using the microwave while off the mains line for three years - and no problem with the batteries at all.

"Now, as a rule of thumb, if you want your batteries to last longer than the contents of the fridge, you should never discharge them faster than 10% of the Ah rating, which means that unless you have a battery bank of at least 850Ah, using the microwave whilst the engine is stopped and you aren't on landline is a shortcut to needing new batteries."

I am not disputing what you say, I don't understand any of the science, but;

I have a very average set-up boat with 3 x 135 amp domestic batteries. I have been regularly using the microwave while off the mains line for three years - and no problem with the batteries at all.

In that case it sounds like you are indeed disputing what he says :lol:

I have installed quite a few electric cookers and hobs on boats and I was never really impressed with the results, with a shore supply usually restricted to 16A (On a good day) in the ditch crawling world most of these were powered directly from at least 10Kva gen sets. The more complex installations could power share shoreline and inverters or run off the inverters alone (3x2.5Kw) but the load on the batteries was eye watering.

I used to preach the Victron sermon for the use of induction hobs when I was selling the kit but after a lot of time wasted adjusting frequencies on gen sets to try and get the things to run at all or stay running I would now recommend staying away from them. Maybe the victron approach of a single ring low powered induction hob does stand up but move onto a four ring high power hob and it's just too heavy and finicky about frequency to make it worthwhile.

On a funny note boatbuilders don't get electric cookers I once visited one well known one who had installed a rather splendid ceramic hob and cooker at the customers request, when I asked him how it was powered he looked at me puzzled and said "The shore line of course!"

Another one set fire to a customers boat by wiring the cooker into one of those popular cheapo full of choc blocks AC distribution panels that boatbuilders love so much! :lol:

My advice would be stick to gas or look at diesel cooking with a Heritage Range Cooker http://www.heritagecookers.co.uk/index.htm that not only does the cooking but provides true domestic central heating too.

I'll repeat what I've said many times.

Anyone who uses battery power to heat anything is insane.

Gibbo

Intuitively I always thought that was the case even without understanding the figures. But then why do we get so many questions (and answers) on the forum about running washing machines from inverters?

Ok, some people supply the hot water from their calorifier, but many others don't.

So what about running big motors from one's batteries - does that make sense?

Intuitively I always thought that was the case even without understanding the figures. But then why do we get so many questions (and answers) on the forum about running washing machines from inverters?

Ok, some people supply the hot water from their calorifier, but many others don't.

So what about running big motors from one's batteries - does that make sense?

Well I suppose air conditioning falls into the big motor category the last system I did was three separate units and the inverters "in theory" could run it or assist the shore power to run it, but the reality was the startup load was scary and even when settled and running the rate of discharge from a very large battery bank wasn't at all practical.

The three way split system however did make it more or less feasible to run a single unit for realistic but short spells from batteries.

In reality the inverters were used as a stop gap for a minute or so to power it while the generator was called for and came on line which worked very well.

My build starts next month and I am now debating the merits of what to cook with?

We are going to live on the boat full time.

We are thinking, gas hob, a built in Combi Oven which would microwave/grill/cook but are not sure if we need a further oven and then we would need to decide if that is gas or electric.

Your personal experiences, regrets, do's and don't would help us make up our minds I am sure.

I am thinking that maybe with the hob and combi we would need nothing else...

Recomendations re econony and relability would be great too.

Thank you in advance.

GAS, GAS, GAS and just in case I haven't made myself clear......GAS!!! :lol:

Gas hob and gas oven is the way to go. It's very economical, you can cook for ages on just one 13kg gas bottle.

Roger

No gas, no electric and a perfect summer supplement to the Rayburn:

Clicky

These Origo spirit cookers are great for occasional use on a small boat (I have one on my sailer)

but unless you can get hold of the proper alcohol to fuel it you have to use Meths...and that can be eye wateringly stinky when burning

Okay okay okay!!!

Are you a gas inspector?

Gas hob and gas oven is the way to go. It's very economical, you can cook for ages on just one 13kg gas bottle.

Roger

Roger

Well you've convinced me to stay with the gas oven and hob but I do fancy as well a multi fuel stove with a small oven and top plate, the Epping seems a bit large for a singly like me and I don't think I want a top loader, somebody mentioned they spill out smoke and ash loading that way..... Squirrel don't seem to do an oven stove...anybody know of another make, maybe a cylindrical one with a top oven?

Boat in build, all electric, 7Kw generator. :lol:

Then you are building, or having built, a hopelessly impractical boat. You can't run your genny after 8pm or before 8am, so your dinner and breakfast times are restricted. 240v is for houses, not for boats - or only in tiny occasional amounts.

Why are you having such a boat constructed? Listen to the vast majority on here. Gas or salads is your only practical option.

Then you are building, or having built, a hopelessly impractical boat. Your opinion, to which you are entitled.

You can't run your genny after 8pm or before 8am, We know

so your dinner and breakfast times are restricted. They are not, it fits in with our eating habits very well.

240v is for houses, not for boats - or only in tiny occasional amounts. Again your opinion, not ours

Why are you having such a boat constructed? Because we can and it is what we want

Listen to the vast majority on here. I have listened but still want an all electric boat

Gas or salads is your only practical option. No it is not, for us anyway. (By the way we like salads)

Then you are building, or having built, a hopelessly impractical boat. Your opinion, to which you are entitled.

You can't run your genny after 8pm or before 8am, We know

so your dinner and breakfast times are restricted. They are not, it fits in with our eating habits very well.

240v is for houses, not for boats - or only in tiny occasional amounts. Again your opinion, not ours

Why are you having such a boat constructed? Because we can and it is what we want

Listen to the vast majority on here. I have listened but still want an all electric boat

Gas or salads is your only practical option. No it is not, for us anyway. (By the way we like salads)

Why are you having such a boat constructed? What experience do you have that makes you believe that your boat will be a better option than the gas fuelled majority of expoerienced boaters' craft, who will tell you, have told you, that your boat is vastly impractical? And will have a poor 2nd hand value?

:lol: Hey Bottle

How ya doin, I am afraid dasboot is 150 percent correct in every way, If we ask you two years after moving on the boat and living aboard full time and gave us an honest answer you will say Bloody hell should have gone for gas..................watch this space............. :lol:

How ya doin, I am afraid dasboot is 150 percent correct in every way, If we ask you two years after moving on the boat and living aboard full time and gave us an honest answer you will say Bloody hell should have gone for gas..................watch this space............. :lol:

n

Absolutely right. Bet they've gone for reverse layout as well. And a bowthruster. "We've never had a boat, but we know better........."

Why are you having such a boat constructed? See my answer I made sometime ago

What experience do you have that makes you believe that your boat will be a better option I did not say it was the better option, I said it is what we want

than the gas fuelled majority of expoerienced boaters' craft, who will tell you, have told you, that your boat is vastly impractical? Again it is their opinion and they are entitled to it

And will have a poor 2nd hand value? Maybe but we do not plan to sell it until we move onto the land in a wooden box.

Hi mrsmelly, doing very well thanks, I will try to remember in two years and let you know.

n

Absolutely right. Bet they've gone for reverse layout as well.Wrong And a bowthruster.Wrong again "We've never had a boat, but we know better........."True but have never said we know better

:lol: Cheers

Hope all goes well with the boat anyway..............

When we get it, it is sure to come down your way and you can tell me what's wrong with it :lol::lol:

Why are you having such a boat constructed? See my answer I made sometime ago

What experience do you have that makes you believe that your boat will be a better option I did not say it was the better option, I said it is what we want

than the gas fuelled majority of expoerienced boaters' craft, who will tell you, have told you, that your boat is vastly impractical? Again it is their opinion and they are entitled to it

And will have a poor 2nd hand value? Maybe but we do not plan to sell it until we move onto the land in a wooden box.

Hi mrsmelly, doing very well thanks, I will try to remember in two years and let you know.

Well, very sad, because with a boat like that you will be moving back on to land long before that involves a a coffin to transport you there. Or you will be selling it at a large loss and buying a practical boat and recognising that a boat is not a floating bungalow. That is, you adapt to life afloat, not life afloat adapting to you. I am mystified as to why anyone would have a narrowboat built which depends on mains powered equipment as its fundamental resource for the basics of day to day existence, i.e a decent cooked meal. Bonkers.

Well, very sad, because with a boat like that you will be moving back on to land long before that involves a a coffin to transport you there.

Great Sage, I bow to your ability to predict the future (Do you know who will win Wimbledon, could do with a safe bet)

Or you will be selling it at a large loss and buying a practical boat and recognising that a boat is not a floating bungalow.

There you go again this insight to the future is outstanding. (Lived in a bungalow, boat is nothing like it)

That is, you adapt to life afloat, not life afloat adapting to you.

Hooray, you actually got that right, we will adapt no doubt but not in the way you predict.

I am mystified as to why anyone would have a narrowboat built which depends on mains powered equipment as its fundamental resource for the basics of day to day existence, i.e a decent cooked meal.

I assure you we will have very many decent cooked meals on board

Bonkers.

Thought that was a prerequisite of 'becoming a boater' :lol:

Is there anything other than an Epping for cooking on, something similar to a Squirrel i.e. multi fuel but with a small side oven and flat plate and not top fuel loading?

Err, you want an oven smaller than an Epping has???? you into cooking partridges for christmas?

there are alternatives but basically - thay are either the same size or a bit bigger e.g. click.

Think laterally - squirrel hotplate with a big cake tin upside down makes an oven......

I'm a firm vote for Rayburn and BBQ. OK i admit to having a single ring camping stove cause i can't be arsed to light the primus.

the rayburn isn't too bad in summer if you are there to have the windows open, probably light it up saturday night to get some warm water for a wash - but that will be a wood burn rather than coal.

Simon.

Err, you want an oven smaller than an Epping has???? you into cooking partridges for christmas?

there are alternatives but basically - thay are either the same size or a bit bigger e.g. click.

Think laterally - squirrel hotplate with a big cake tin upside down makes an oven......

I'm a firm vote for Rayburn and BBQ. OK i admit to having a single ring camping stove cause i can't be arsed to light the primus.

the rayburn isn't too bad in summer if you are there to have the windows open, probably light it up saturday night to get some warm water for a wash - but that will be a wood burn rather than coal.

Simon.

Okay then I guess Im assuming the oven is very large on an Epping since I haven't actually seen one in reality. I think I was meaning the whole stove looked big. I shall be having a gas oven in the galley but I wanted a smallish stove/oven for the living room, and really just looking to maximise on the heat they produce. Good tip about a cake tin......thanks...but would it be sufficient to cook say bread or potatoes? I suppose casseroles and suchlike will cook okay overnight on the top plate.