Pumping the tiller...

mykaskin

Featured Posts

And back to the thread, I found on our first trip in a hire boat, that in a very confined space, working the tiller did have an effect of swinging the stern a bit when under way slowly - enough to swing the back away from the stones if I thought I was going to hit a narrow bridge 'ole or similar. On my own boat, it has b****r all effect because the rudder is so small. :lol: We virtually have to stop Swallow if a tight turn is needed and if the wind blows, forget it! :lol:

And they have changed again as I know to my cost. The exemption from holding a PCV licence is now restricted to driving vehicles more than 30 years old and with less than 8 people on board. If the vehicle is less than 30 years old or with more than 8 people, PCV licence is necessary. I've just passed mine to be able to take my 60 year old ex LT RT type :lol: on running days etc. :lol:

Hairy Neil was referring to the grandfather rights which gave a PSV (or indeed a HGV) licence to existing drivers. Such drivers, a reducing number as they retire, still hold the respective licence without the need to take a test.

George ex nb Alton retired

• 3 weeks later...

I tried this recently on Ariel. I found that the quicker you push it hard over, once it has returned to the central position on its own, the quicker you turn in the smaller amount of space.

It definately works for me.

I tried this recently on Ariel. I found that the quicker you push it hard over, once it has returned to the central position on its own, the quicker you turn in the smaller amount of space.

It definately works for me.

The consensus seems that it works, and therfore should not be banned from any boat test/handling. I noticed someone trying to turn an historic boat without pumping and it just wasn't turning anywhere near as well as I normally see with similar boats who do pump.

Cheers,

Mike

similarly, if you are reversing to bring yourself out of the winding hole, if you have the tiller over and pop it into forwards, it will not have much of an effect. if you bring the tiller back to 12 o'clock and wait for the water to be pushed over the rudder, then give it one hard push over, you will have much greater turning power.